CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 06/06/2016, 06:07 PM   #31
classicsguy

Bidding ended....surprised that it was not bid higher
classicsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/08/2016, 01:37 PM   #32
p51
My Car Details

Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsguy View Post
Bidding ended....surprised that it was not bid higher
Last bid: $26K

What I've seen is that, IMO*, ebay prices tend to be ~15%-20% below "reasonable prices" and auction prices (eg Mecum/BJ) tend to be ~15%-20% above (** caveat: see below).

I suppose the reasons are:
(1) Ebay: People buying on ebay/craigslist, etc are looking for a deal
(2) Ebay: Unless you live nearby, inspection of the vehicle is difficult
(3) Ebay: Possibility of scams
(4) Auction: Cars can be inspected/certified
(5) Auction: Most people that go to auctions tend to have $'s
(6) Auction: The presentation and excitement boost prices

If it were my car, given the description of the car, assuming it's numbers matching, no wrecks, no rust, good compression, and still in original condition, this would seem to be a candidate to take to auction to sell to a collector. The only down side I see is it's an X-code (big block w/2V carb!? WTH?... no wonder it's rare) vs an S-code (big block, 4V). IMO, the S-code GT/CS (and definitely the 428 cobra jet version) are the closest thing to a production Shelby coupe that has ever been manufactured. One might be able to say the same for an X-code - I'd advertise it as such...

* IMO: My opinion and $1.50 will get you a small cup of coffee at Starbucks

** This does not include the "unicorn" seafoam, modified, J-code GT/CS that seems to sell for >$40K over and over again at auction... if someone figures out the recipe used to sell that car, please pass it on.

The world stands aside to let anyone pass who knows where he is going.
p51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/08/2016, 02:28 PM   #33
platnumheart666

My Garage
Question about Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Annie- Can you share how you know who the high bidder is? Ebay hides the bidder ID's and only the bidder and seller is supposed to be able to see the bidder ID.
pm sent to you answering question

I ain't afraid to love a man. I ain't afraid to shoot him either. -

― Annie Oakley
platnumheart666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/09/2016, 07:55 AM   #34
My68GT/CS

Hey everyone, Just want to pass along some more info. I believe P51's opinion is spot on as are others here such as Don. I would never buy a car without personally checking it out or at the very least having someone trustworthy doing it for me. I've looked at so many vehicles in the last 30 years that look great in pic's and are always in like new condition according to the seller only to drive to Kearney NE to find plywood floor pans (true story), turn around and drive all the way home (saved me a big headache though). My son drove 6 hour's last fall to look at a rustfree 68' convertible only to look in the back seat as his foot went through the rear floor pan, as he looked under the rear of the car and saw the galvanized furnace ductwork lower 1/4's (and the list went on, true story) he proceeded back home. I've done Mecum, spent the last 8 month's getting my 70' ready for Indy, consigned it Feb 2nd to get a good spot only to have them assign it a late Saturday lot# after everyone had either left or was broke. They had called me two weeks ago with a supposed buyer from the bid goes on and as of last Friday I was under the impression they had the car sold but have heard nothing since. Evidently you need to be someone to have a good spot at their sale? Anyway's, the 68CS is for sale if anyone here is interested. I need to get $32.5 for the car which I believe is reasonable (that's my opinion though). I had a crazy offer of $39k the first day on EBay before I even had a chance to get the underside pic's on! All three previous owners of the car are listed in this registry. There is no damage or repaired damage to the original rear body panel, tail light panel, deck lid, 1/4's or frame rails. That being said my main business is auto repair & collision repair and have been in business since 1987 with an A+ BBB rating (Lake's All Season Inc). Classic Car's (mainly Mustangs) is my hobby. I've always run my business being as upfront and honest with everyone as possible. I am by no means a salesman. The car runs and drives as close to it did in 68' more so than any of the pre 70' Mustangs I've owned. As you can see by the under-body photo's it's pretty much untouched and rustfree. The X-Codes came standard with dual exhaust and as you can see the previous owner added the GT tips (without the GT valance I would return the tailpipes to the correct turn downs). The rear bumper is original rechromed, the front bumper is an aftermarket replacement along with the front lower valance being an oem replacement. Again there is no damage to any of the front end sheetmetal (front fender aprons and all underhood black finish is original and both front fenders are original and dated to the car. I would rate the paint as 7 as the car presents very nicely but when it was painted they didn't spend the extra couple hours it would have taken to properly clean & prep the lower 1/4's (as can be seen in the pic's) and some other odds and ends like that such as the original blackout on the lower rockers appears very nice but they didn't take the time to mask it off before painting the car? Being in the business these kind of things are bothersome to me. I'ts a very nice driver quality but not a 100 point show car. I've attached a link to the photo bucket if anyone is seriously interested. If so please give me a call, email or pm if you have any questions.

http://s64.photobucket.com/user/devs...ry/1968%20GTCS

Thanks, and have a great day!
Brance
My68GT/CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2016, 08:16 PM   #35
WimbledonWhiteStangs

My Garage
First time posting. If you are just trolling to criticize any possible mistakes, save it for someone else. Just wanted to let you know that I took a trip up to Trevor and put eyes on this car. I am not an expert paint and body guy, nor am I claiming to be the grand wizard of all things Mustang. I can answer some questions if you are really interested and give my opinion as an owner of a GT/CS and multiple Mach 1's.
WimbledonWhiteStangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/15/2016, 04:47 AM   #36
My68GT/CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WimbledonWhiteStangs View Post
First time posting. If you are just trolling to criticize any possible mistakes, save it for someone else. Just wanted to let you know that I took a trip up to Trevor and put eyes on this car. I am not an expert paint and body guy, nor am I claiming to be the grand wizard of all things Mustang. I can answer some questions if you are really interested and give my opinion as an owner of a GT/CS and multiple Mach 1's.
Was nice talking with you and your wife. I believe I've represented the car well, if not, please let me know. I wish I would have had my 69' at the shop for you to see. I posted the above last Thursday but had to be approved by the moderators so it just posted yesterday. Mecum did sell my 70' last Friday so we drove it and the CS out to Walworth yesterday. Put a pic on our Instagram. Was a great day for a drive!
My68GT/CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/21/2016, 08:25 AM   #37
FX4

Brance I left you a message. I am interested in discussing this car. WimbledonWhiteStangs I would love to discuss your observations about this car.

Last edited by FX4; 06/21/2016 at 09:37 AM..
FX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/22/2016, 10:12 AM   #38
WimbledonWhiteStangs

My Garage
Brance,

Thanks for showing us around your place. We really enjoyed talking with you and looking at your ponies. Good to hear that your 70 was sold. That was a nice car. I was always suspect of the Mecum "Bid Goes On", but I guess it worked in your favor. I believe you did an excellent job showing us the GT/CS. It was an added bonus that it was already on the lift when we got there. If I had an extra stall in our garage, it probably would be sitting there right now. I think you have done a good job explaining the flaws in your previous posts. As I stated before, I welcome any questions and I will provide un-biased answered based solely on my knowledge and experience as a GT/CS owner.
Old 06/22/2016, 10:17 AM   #39
WimbledonWhiteStangs

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FX4 View Post
Brance I left you a message. I am interested in discussing this car. WimbledonWhiteStangs I would love to discuss your observations about this car.
FX4

If you click on my Username, it should provide you a link to email me. Feel free to send me any questions you have.
Old 07/01/2016, 09:48 AM   #40
FX4

Quote:
Originally Posted by platnumheart666 View Post
How special is an X-code as compared to, say a S-code? In equal condition, which is more desirable? I have contacted the dealership and I am awaiting a response on what they are looking to get and, I will see about some under-pics.

I don't see much of an issue with a paint and engine freshening. Yeah, 44k is low but due to the age, this is not wholly out of line.

-Annie
Oddly enough my research shows they go for a little less money than S code cars, although they are a little more rare. I think his asking price is in line with the value of the car. I'm going to look at it in a couple of weeks. Although he is not certain he still wants to sell.
Old 07/01/2016, 11:00 AM   #41
p51
My Car Details

Carpe Diem

Quote:
Oddly enough my research shows they go for a little less money than S code cars, although they are a little more rare. I think his asking price is in line with the value of the car. I'm going to look at it in a couple of weeks. Although he is not certain he still wants to sell.
Here's a thread on that very topic that you might find interesting...
http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=18888.0

It looks like...
Code Engine HP Torque Carburetor
X 8-390 280 390 2BC
S 8-390 335 427 4BC

http://www.oldride.com/library/1968_ford_mustang.html

Old 07/01/2016, 11:33 AM   #42
FX4

Yup all that stuff is accurate. I'm real familiar with the FE block motors. I have built a few over the years. My last project was a 65 step side I dropped in a 390. I actually found a 428CJ top end at the wrecking yard out of a station wagon of all things and installed it. Truck ran like a beast. LOL. 9MPG all day long. Did not care what you towed behind it.
Old 07/06/2016, 06:22 AM   #43
FX4

Quote:
Originally Posted by p51 View Post
It looks like...
Code Engine HP Torque Carburetor
X 8-390 280 390 2BC
S 8-390 335 427 4BC

http://www.oldride.com/library/1968_ford_mustang.html
I have been researching the X code motors over the last few days. They certainly are not well documented. There were 2 versions of the 2V 390 in 68, one required premium fuel and the other ran regular. 280HP and 265HP for each version. One source cites 270HP for the x code mustangs. I am not able to locate an authoritative source on which motor version was put in the X code mustangs.

I think the real question in my mind is if I bump the power with a 4V or 428 top end will I hurt the value of the car? Doing research it's not clear to me at this point. I did find a guy that did the exact same thing I did with my step side pickup, put a 428 top end in it and the car really woke up. I know my truck was an absolute beast with the 390 bottom end and 428 top end. I spanked an Acura NSX and the guy made me run him again. Spanked him a second time. I just don't want to hurt the value of the car with any modifications to improve performance (assuming the seller and I come to an agreement).
Old 07/06/2016, 09:17 AM   #44
p51
My Car Details

Carpe Diem

Quote:
I

I think the real question in my mind is if I bump the power with a 4V or 428 top end will I hurt the value of the car?
IMO, as long as you don't make any mods that not reversible, keep the old parts, and document the health (eg engine compression, etc) of the vehicle before you swap out the top-end you should be ok. If you only need a 4V intake to take it from an X -> S (or are there different heads/cam as well?) it would be a "simple" swap to get it back to original *if* someone ever wanted to do this.

From the little I've read it sorta seems that the X-code was done just to fill in the performance gap between the 302 and 390 S-code.

Here's another discussion about X vs S code from a Cougar site...
http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/...p/t-39813.html

Old 07/06/2016, 09:52 AM   #45
FX4

That's a good read P51. Thanks.

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > Classified Ads