• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Buyer beware

franklinair

I now have to replace the SECOND heater water control vacuum valve. I use the more expensive (correct) valve for this.
The FIRST one had the vacuum diaphragm leak. This SECOND one leaks fluid around the base. (I did check the screws' torque prior to installation) You can see the green anti freeze fluid at the base.
I'm going to make a new gasket for the base to seal the leak. (But of course I have to drain the system first):mad:
The track record for these valves is not too good.

Neil

Attachments

• IMG_0347.JPG
    IMG_0347.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 42

Ruppstang

Neil does it have a grove machined in to the base like the originals? If so I use a O ring and some silicone and do not have much trouble with them.
Marty

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

There's no Mfr name on the valve, only a part number, 6860-134.
When ordering through NPD, their P/N is 18495-1A, $59.95.

Neil

Attachments

• IMG_0348.JPG
    IMG_0348.JPG
    187.3 KB · Views: 31

stangfan

Neil, have you phoned NPD to tell them about the problem? They sent me a replacement starter solenoid when mine failed. Express shipped it too, at no cost to me.

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

I e-mailed NPD recounting 2 failed units. (one vacuum diaphragm failure, one leaking coolant)
I disassembled the leaking valve: The vertical chamber is PRESS FITTED into the triangular base, and that is where it is leaking. I might try some JB Weld around the base to stop the leak.
I'm not a happy camper, with TWO faulty parts @$60ea + shipping, not to mention the work involved.
I'll keep you posted.

Neil

stangfan

I would phone them if I was you. Their number is toll free, and I find talking directly to a service rep gets you better/quicker results. Also, gets rid of some of the stress you feel when a part craps out.

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

I got an e-mail in response to mine. Apparently OLD AIR in TX is NPD's supplier for this valve. They called me and are sending me a new valve, and are going to follow up & check their manufacturing process.
I'm sure the 2 failures I experienced are the exceptions, but its good to have confirmation from NPD and their supplier to follow up.

Neil