CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 02/11/2016, 08:14 PM   #1
mbsf1970

Dream car: '68 GTCS Pres Blue

winter drive

as is my custom, I try to start Doug up once a month in the winter and drive him around when roads are dry and temps permit it....
Well, today was one of those days. It usually takes a good 1 minute of cranking to get Doug to catch but I tried something different this time. I pumped the pedal and good 6-7 times and (despite my wondering if battery was dead) he fired right up! I've been so careful not to flood him that I think I've been underfeeding him! I'll try and duplicate my results next month.

I only took him on a 10 minute drive as dusk was approaching. I sometimes have thoughts of selling him (due to shorter driving seasons) but then when I do drive him I remember the fun of it and all the "looks" he gets and the thought fades away--at least till the next repair!

Stephen
mbsf1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2016, 09:47 PM   #2
Midnight Special
My Car Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbsf1970 View Post
as is my custom, I try to start Doug up once a month in the winter and drive him around when roads are dry and temps permit it....

Stephen
...Would love to have joined you, but here we woke up to a "white out" ;-)

Also, in winter when mine sit for a few weeks without running, I'll remove the air cleaner top, prime just a bit and they always fire right up (waking up the rest of the systems with no unreasonable wear & tear on the starter). It also forces me to check for leaks as the carb & fuel lines replenish...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0291.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	20341  

Tim
Midnight Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2016, 09:26 AM   #3
Maine gt/cs

My Garage
I backed mine out of the garage last week. Temp was 56 degrees. What a difference from last year. Roads are loaded here with salt and sand, so no ride. An older gentleman went by tooting his horn and thumbs up out the window. That made me want to get out in the road and take that flat spot off the right rear tire. The old one tire fryer you know. I don't mind letting the engine whirl over a few times to get the oil pressure up.

Tim

1968 J-Code, 4 Speed, Candy Apple Red
Scratch a dog and you will find a permanent job.
Maine gt/cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2016, 10:17 AM   #4
mbsf1970

how do you prime it? With what?
Stephen
Old 02/12/2016, 10:33 AM   #5
stangfan

GT/CS 8R01C150245

My Garage
If your choke is properly setup, you should be able to press the gas pedal to the floor ONCE, and then turn the key.

Steve Cracknell
stangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2016, 10:51 AM   #6
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
If the car sits for awhile the gas in the carb will slowly evaporate. The reason for a lot of cranking is to get fuel up into the carb from the fuel pump. I agree with Tim and will prime a motor that has sat along time to save wear and tear on the started. Your thought on extra accelerator shots also draws gas into the acceleration pump area. A car that is started a ran more often should be able to pump the throttle one time and it should start. some engines seem to like two times.

Pour a small amount of gas into a small glass jar. Remove the air cleaner and pour about one tablespoon of gas in the carb down the air horn. If you decide to measure you will end up with your own table spoon. And the wife will not like you!

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2016, 11:03 AM   #7
Midnight Special
My Car Details

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert campbell View Post
If the car sits for awhile the gas in the carb will slowly evaporate....

Pour a small amount of gas into a small glass jar. Remove the air cleaner and pour about one tablespoon of gas in the carb down the air horn. If you decide to measure you will end up with your own table spoon. And the wife will not like you!

Rob
...What Rob says... and I use my monogrammed "Jose Cuervo" shot glass. :-)

Tim
Old 02/12/2016, 12:03 PM   #8
sam

These are great dialoges that I enjoy reading. I try to start mine every 2 weeks, and she takes a while to turn over. I appreciate the tip about a shot of gas down the carberator for faster results. Despite a mild winter in NH, the roads are sandy and salty..........so no road time.

I would agree, such a great feeling when you get the "thumbs up" or wave when driving your Mustang. And what about those fill ups at the gas station????......it's usually a 20 to 30 minute adventure because you always end up talking to someone.
It's the best !

Sam

it\'s great to own a 68\' ......live free or die
Sam
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2016, 12:04 PM   #9
mbsf1970

so the gas prime acts as a one time shot in the carb and once car starts obviously the gas line will begin to fuel the carb.....
thanks,
things to remember...
Old 02/12/2016, 12:22 PM   #10
stangfan

GT/CS 8R01C150245

My Garage
Mine sits up to over the winter for up to 3 weeks between drives. I've never had to prime the carb. It always starts right up.

Steve Cracknell
stangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2016, 01:14 PM   #11
Mosesatm

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert campbell View Post
If the car sits for awhile the gas in the carb will slowly evaporate. The reason for a lot of cranking is to get fuel up into the carb from the fuel pump. I agree with Tim and will prime a motor that has sat along time to save wear and tear on the started. Your thought on extra accelerator shots also draws gas into the acceleration pump area. A car that is started a ran more often should be able to pump the throttle one time and it should start. some engines seem to like two times.

Rob
To look at it from another angle the long cranking time may be good for the engine because it lets the oil circulate a little before things start moving at full speed.
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2016, 01:54 PM   #12
mbsf1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangfan View Post
Mine sits up to over the winter for up to 3 weeks between drives. I've never had to prime the carb. It always starts right up.
Some of us don't live in non-winter climates........
Old 02/12/2016, 02:11 PM   #13
Maine gt/cs

My Garage
I start mine once a month. I put Marine Stabil just for added insurance because of the ethanol factor. I will pull the coil wire and turn the engine over about 5 to10 times. That lets the oil move through the engine and also put more fuel into the carb. One pump of the go peddle and the car fires right up with plenty of oil pressure right off. I can almost smell that tire smoke.

Tim

1968 J-Code, 4 Speed, Candy Apple Red
Scratch a dog and you will find a permanent job.
Maine gt/cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2016, 03:26 PM   #14
Midnight Special
My Car Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosesatm View Post
To look at it from another angle the long cranking time may be good for the engine because it lets the oil circulate a little before things start moving at full speed.
...Hmm... ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cs1.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	20342  

Tim
Old 02/12/2016, 09:20 PM   #15
68 special

8R01T149485

My Garage
Mine usually takes several pumps after sitting awhile.

I took mine out last weekend for a short spin. all was going well until I noticed smoke coming out the back end. I wasn't sure it was something dripping on the exhaust or coming out the exhaust. got her home, put her up on the ramps.

now, the funny part...... I found the missing plastic flashlight..... wedged in between the headers, whew, smoking problem solved..

Now waiting for another nice day. hope I have all my tools put away before then, LOL.

Bret
68 special is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions