CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 07/22/2016, 06:01 PM   #31
p51
My Car Details

Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batgirl89 View Post
Hey anyone put a FITech on yet??

P51 thank you for all the info!
Batgirl

I have not done anything with FiTech. But I have had a PowerJection III (PJ3) EFI system on my car. Retrotek, the company that originally designed the PJ3 was started by the same fellow who started FiTech, Ken Farrell. He sold Retrotek to Professional Products. IMO, the PJ3 was a good product but had some minor issues. After buying the design, Professional Products did not support it very well so the PJ3 really became an "also ran" in aftermarket EFI and a lot of these issues were never resolved. I think after the acquisition a lot of the original designers left the company (possibly to start FiTech).

I keep an eye on FiTech and they seem to be doing a pretty good job. The FiTech system seems to be similar to the PJ3 but with the issues ironed out. However, the fuel command center they sell does seem to have some lingering issues.

The best forum I found to read about FiTech is the Chevelle forum
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/89-e...tings-etc.html

There are other forums as well... just Google them...

If you do decide to put a FiTech EFI on your car let me know before you pull the trigger and I can let you know about my experience with the PJ3... what to watch out for in the install and some ideas. Just respond to this thread and I'll do a write up.

James

The world stands aside to let anyone pass who knows where he is going.
p51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/24/2016, 08:51 AM   #32
whodat

eBay: metronash

What about Holley Sniper EFI?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/24/2016, 10:38 AM   #33
p51
My Car Details

Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodat View Post
What about Holley Sniper EFI?

Whereas FiTech has been shipping units since ~03/2015, the Sniper EFI (which was originally due out in ~05/2016) apparently has now slipped until ~09/2016 (this is based solely on ship dates I just checked from Summit/Jegs). By the time Holley has a competitive product out FiTech will have had a year and a half of shipments, experience, debugging, reliability data, etc.

On the other hand w/Sniper you have the Holley brand name...

Old 07/24/2016, 11:37 PM   #34
Batgirl89

My Garage
we want to put it on our 68 bronco
Batgirl89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/27/2016, 11:44 AM   #35
p51
My Car Details

Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batgirl89 View Post
we want to put it on our 68 bronco
FiTech EFI vs Carb (just an opinion)

EFI benefits: Better throttle response, better cold starts, better gas mileage, no fuel smell, adapts to altitude and ambient temperature changes (no re-jetting, etc required). And, if you do it right you can easily switched back (~5hours) from EFI -> carb.

EFI deficits: More complicated setup – more things can go wrong or fail and diagnosing them can become difficult. Moreover if you have EFI on a classic car and take it to most shops most of the mechanics don't know where to start. Even if they are comfortable with EFI a mechanic would need to know your specific EFI kit to be able to fix or modify anything. So, you end up doing a lot of your own work. And, unless you commute a long distance in your classic car, this mod will *not* pay for itself in any reasonable amount of time.

The decision:

Yea: If you feel comfortable with computers, you like to fine tune the engine (eg A/F ratios, etc), and the above benefits of EFI are of sufficient value to you then, I'd recommend EFI. If you already know what you are doing, installing one of these kits takes no more than a day.

Nay: If you're really comfortable with carbs, or are computer-phobic, or are not willing/able to do your own diagnosis/fixing of problems then I would stay away from EFI – even the one's touted as “plug-and-go”.

The tradeoff: If you only drive your car at a given altitude in an area where there's not a lot of ambient temp changes (eg coastal CA) then, IMO, you can tune your carb to within ~10% of what you'd get with the best tuned EFI. If you drive your car under differing and extreme conditions (temp, altitude) and really don't know how to fine tune a carb then you can probably get up to 25% better avg fuel economy (eg 16mpg -> 20mpg) from EFI along with better cold starts, better throttle response, etc

If you do decide on EFI the main things to focus on are:
(1) The fuel system. This used to be the single biggest pain – having to install a high-pressure EFI fuel system. FiTech has simplified this significantly with their Fuel Command Center (FCC). With the FCC the only change you have to make (aside from installing the FCC in the engine compartment) is adding a low-pressure vent line back to the fuel tank that connects *above* the fuel level. A connection to the fuel filler tube would seem like a good spot. The caveat to this is that as of ~05/2016 some people on forums were reporting issues with the venting of the FCC.
(2) Make sure the engine has very good electrical grounds (bad grounds cause a lot more problems with EFI while carbs are almost immune to this)
(3) Make sure the engine has no vacuum leaks (again, EFI is much more sensitive to the vacuum signal)
(4) Make sure there are no exhaust leaks (can cause errors with the O2 readings)
(5) Make sure your distributor will work with the FiTech EFI. If you are using a distributor with a tach output or an MSD box you should be ok. If you are using a stock distributor, I am not sure if points will work or not. The Pertronix Ignitor 1 in a stock distributor works. Multi-spark Pertronix Ignitor 3 will *not* work – from what I've read, the multi-spark feature screws up the signal to the EFI which is used to determine timing/RPM.
(6) Make sure your EFI signaling wires are away from the spark plug wires as much as possible.
(7) Get good quality EFI high-pressure lines

Some other comments:

One of the nice things about using the FiTech + FCC is that you can switch back to a carb very easily if needed. You just need to swap a couple of fuel lines and replace the EFI TBI with the carb. The reason that this is a plus is that if you ever need to debug a problem and need to isolate whether that problem is an EFI issue or something else, it's really easy to swap back to the carb to see if the problem disappears.

The timing feature of the FiTech unit is probably something I would not use. First you have to have a “2-wire” distributor. Second, you have to be able to phase that distributor. Third, if you have the FiTech unit control timing, swapping back to a carb (for reasons noted above) becomes difficult. Finally, as far as I can tell if you have either a stock distributor or (better yet) one of the “ready to run” distributors (non-multi-spark or with a tach output) there is enough flexibility using traditional springs and stop bushing to set your timing.

Currently (07/2016) the Go-4 EFI 600HP system has been out the longest (since roughly 03/2015) has the most units sold, and has had the most “customer testing”. This is rated down to 200-250HP. For most of our stock mustangs a better choice would seem to be the Go-Street EFI 400HP which has smaller injectors that would have their “sweet spot” more aligned with a stock 289/302 1968 engine. The downside is that Go-Street EFI 400HP is newer (since ~04/2016) and so has had much less “customer testing” done on it. But it is less expensive.

Old 07/27/2016, 03:49 PM   #36
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
James,
Great info!! Thank you! One other aspect I would think is better hot starting on very hot days when percolation can occur with a carb.

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/28/2016, 02:26 PM   #37
whodat

eBay: metronash

I really want to just go EFI with no tank mods. I thought I saw that on Gearz tv show.

whodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2016, 08:39 PM   #38
p51
My Car Details

Carpe Diem

From what I can tell Holley is (finally) shipping the Sniper EFI... a year and a half after FiTech started shipping their unit...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sne-550-511

No installation reviews on-line yet but found an unboxing video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lg3yOlyd3w

Old 11/04/2016, 04:38 PM   #39
p51
My Car Details

Carpe Diem

Just FYI. Here is an install thread on the Holley Sniper EFI. Interestingly this guy previously installed a FiTech EFI unit. His FiTech EFI install thread is worth the read as well...

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/89-e...ed-fitech.html

Also another interesting tidbit. FiTech has just introduced a rebate of $100 through the end of the year on their unit that directly competes with the Sniper EFI.

So now you've got a FiTech with 1.5yrs of shipments for $895 vs a newly introduced (but about 9months late from initial est release date) Holley Sniper EFI with the Holley brand name for $999.

Gotta love competition

Old 03/25/2017, 10:11 AM   #40
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
All,
Great article on a FiTech install on an old Chevy Truck. Kinda gives you a great picture of its capability and how easy it is to tune. And to think it replaced a 1 barrel carb and could still self tune itself for this application.

Of note this installation does not use the FiTech fuel management system, but an inline outside the tank fuel pump and return line. I personally want to use the fuel management center option that mounts under the hood and does not require a return line.

Rob

http://www.streetmusclemag.com/tech-...ol-with-fitech
Old 03/25/2017, 06:43 PM   #41
p51
My Car Details

Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert campbell View Post
Of note this installation does not use the FiTech fuel management system, but an inline outside the tank fuel pump and return line. I personally want to use the fuel management center option that mounts under the hood and does not require a return line.

Rob
Rob

Couple of comments about the "fuel command center" (FCC)
(1) A number of people have had issues with it based on forum posts I've read... and a number of these guys really do seem to know what they are doing. On the Chevelle site a guy with the handle "relrd" has installed both a FiTech and a Sniper... he had major issues with the FCC

(2) In actuality you do need to run a return line. There is vent on the FCC which is there to allow the FCC not to over-pressurize from the air bubbles picked up in the tank by the mechanical pump. Since liquid gasoline can sometimes make it out the vent, it is required that this be vented back to the gas tank. Hence, you do need to install another line back to the tank; albeit, I don't think it needs to be a high pressure line. But this type of return line needs to enter the tank *above* the fuel level so that it can vent correctly. Many tap it into the fuel filler tube in the back of the car.

Of course the nice thing about the FCC is that it solves the "fuel slosh" problem that you get with a standard gas tank so that you don't get air bubbles in the fuel line. However, there is another possible way to keep your standard tank and use an inline pump (with a fuel return line). And that is to use a Holley Hydramat on your standard fuel pickup unit...
https://www.summitracing.com/search/...t-fuel-pickups

With this setup your return line could (I think) hook right into the drain plug.

There is final setup which (I think) can be run completely returnless. That is, per above, use a Hydramat on the fuel pickup, an inline pump, and then use an efi filter with an integrated pressure regulator for an "immediate return" to the tank (again, through the drain plug?). This one is rated for the same pressure as the FiTech TBI
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/t...FU9bfgodycIAJg

This last setup is not one of the setups that FiTech has in their instructions but I think some people have gone this route...

Back to the FCC... another benefit of the FCC (as with other options using a tank with a standard sending unit) is that it is easy to switch back to a carb (swap a couple of hoses). The reason that this is a benefit is that if you ever run into a situation where you're trying to find the source of a problem, you can easily confirm/eliminate that the issue is/is not with the FiTech by swapping back to the carb. I think the people that completely commit to a EFI fuel system without this "swap-ability" are going to have major headaches if/when gremlins show up that could be coming from the either engine or the EFI (eg clogged injector vs a bad plug wire etc)

For all of these you need a tank vent or vented gas cap.

Aside: I really wish FiTech would get to the bottom of their issues with the FCC. It's a great concept but it's got enough bad press that, personally, I would not use it *at this point*...

James

Old 04/02/2017, 01:16 PM   #42
cmacias24

Send a message via MSN to cmacias24
My Garage
I'm a little late to the party, but just an an FYI, I recently installed the FiTech on my car. I had my engine rebuilt and figured it was the way to go. I purchased the entry level unit and external in-line fuel pump system. Here are the details on the installation on y car.
- Fuel return line. We welded a nipple to the fuel neck for the return line since we didn't have the luxury of tapping the tank since it was full of gas.
- Gas source. We used the original fuel sending unit (3/8 line).
- Ingniiton system. Although they say the petronius system works fine with their unit, we upgraded to a full MSD because we found start up issues with the old ignition system.
Issues: My fuel pump makes a wierd buzzing noise which FiTech says it's a result of using a small diameter fuel source. The recommend a 1/2 inch source. Not sure how I'm going to do that. Another small issue I have is a slow throttle response, but it might be fuel related.
Recommendation: Buy the Tanks Inc. fuel tank system. ($500). The external fuel line system from FiTech is $250, so for another $250, you won't need to modify anything on your car. The Tanks Inc. setup includes a new tank, in-tank fuel pump with a return inlet, and a fuel gauge sending unit.

Although the noise fuel pump noise i a bit annoying, the system is incredible. I've owned several mustang and this system is by far the best over a carb. Super reliable and smooth. While I was connecting some stuff on the car, I accidentally disconnected a vacuum hose and the car shook for about 5 seconds and then idled smooth again. The system was smart enough to change the air/fuel mixture to make the car idle smooth. Not sure how to post pics, but if you request them, i'll send them to you.

Cesar
cmacias24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/02/2017, 01:54 PM   #43
cmacias24

Send a message via MSN to cmacias24
My Garage
Sorry, I just saw the advanced options.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170226_125553.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	21319   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170226_125534.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	21320  
cmacias24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/02/2017, 06:56 PM   #44
p51
My Car Details

Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacias24 View Post
- Ingniiton system. Although they say the petronius system works fine with their unit, we upgraded to a full MSD because we found start up issues with the old ignition system.
Thanks for the writeup.

Some questions...
What Pertronix Ignitor were you using? 1, 2, or 3?
What startup issues were you seeing with the Pertronix?
Does "full MSD" mean just a new MSD distributor or distributor+MSD ignition box?

Thanks
James

Old 04/02/2017, 09:46 PM   #45
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Need a 1/2 inch fuel sending unit with a return line fitting?? Had this one on my GNS!!!

Rob

http://www.robbmcperformance.com/pro..._fordsend.html

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions