CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 12/23/2015, 04:46 AM   #16
p51
My Car Details

Carpe Diem

FiTech just introduced a low end unit w/o timing control, boost control, nitrous. Up to 400hp. $795

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK-qLlGotUU

The world stands aside to let anyone pass who knows where he is going.
p51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2015, 04:25 PM   #17
dalorzo_f
My Car Details

My Garage
Nice to see prices for what appears to be a good product, based on web reviews, going down ... not up, as is usual!

MC & HNY to all .....
dalorzo_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/25/2015, 01:45 PM   #18
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
I see one of these in my near future!!!!

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/25/2015, 04:58 PM   #19
dalorzo_f
My Car Details

My Garage
If only the Aussie dollar would go back up.. at 0.72 the relative cost of the old systems at $1000 at the 1/1 it was at a while back was a better buy then the "cheaper" $800 one now... converts to $1100! Costs more for less here now....
Old 12/26/2015, 10:24 AM   #20
stangfan

GT/CS 8R01C150245

My Garage
The CDN $ sucks right now also.

Steve Cracknell
stangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2016, 01:28 PM   #21
p51
My Car Details

Carpe Diem

Just a bit more info on the $795 EFI setup from FiTech...

http://www.jegs.com/p/FITech-Fuel-In...39375/10002/-1

Note: The Jegs ad says that it *does* support timing control. But the info (posted previously) says it doesn't. Not clear which is correct. My guess (and it is only a guess) is that it is the same TBI hw but with a different sw load that limits the functionality (also possibly not bringing out a wire or two from the TBI). This is typical in high-tech products where you are trying to segment the market but don't want to support multiple hw platforms... loading different sw on a single hw platform is a whole lot easier than keeping inventory on a whole bunch of hw designs... but again, this is just a guess...

Also, in reading some of the threads there are a few people having trouble getting cold starts (meaning below 50F) dialed in. From what I've read this is typical of aftermarket self-learning EFI systems. Learning does not kick in until engine temps are >~150F so cold start tuning for the engine has to be done somewhat by hand (eg setting AFR targets, etc) under cold temp conditions on each engine case-by-case, esp if it's got radical cam, etc where the factory "cold start setup" doesn't work. Should be interesting to see how many folks have this issue - esp up in Canada. Other than that I have read of very few issues. Almost all (so far!) like the system...

Also, latest from Holley on Sniper EFI...
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...on/sniper_efi/

Coming in March 2016 at $999... possibly a year late and a few dollars short... but it is Holley, so...

Still thinking that there will be enough evidence on FiTech by mid-summer - easy of use, reliability, tech support - to start to at least consider it...

Old 01/05/2016, 03:14 PM   #22
dalorzo_f
My Car Details

My Garage
Good info, thanks for posting. As you note, most of the use case reviews I've seen are positive too...
Old 01/19/2016, 02:30 PM   #23
p51
My Car Details

Carpe Diem

EFI for the carb guys... $245

Here's an interesting product that FiTech is selling based on its EFI product. A data logger to be used with a carb setup. No throttle body included... it's just their handheld, a separate sensor box, along with some sensors - according to the text and picture it looks like a MAP sensor and an O2 sensor (for AFR, shown in the product picture) are included (??). You can (probably) get RPM straight off of the coil. Not sure about what other sensors are included however... In description "Note: All sensors sold separately". Also, says it can control timing w/a CDI box.

http://www.jegs.com/p/FITech-Fuel-In...72094/10002/-1

It *seems* like a really great idea. I just worry that a company the size of FiTech producing all these variations of a product will run into a brick wall. With all these products, tech support, quality control and inventory control could become a nightmare. I really wish them the best of luck since, if nothing else, it will force other aftermarket EFI/gauge companies to finally get onto the technology curve...

Old 02/05/2016, 11:34 AM   #24
p51
My Car Details

Carpe Diem

I keep watching FiTech - reading the threads, etc. Here are some quasi-datapoints. To get an idea of how many units are out there, there was thread from ~August of 2015 that stated that FiTech had ~500 units out at that time. I'd guess that it's likely doubled in the last 6months (given Christmas, etc) but that is just a guess based on a statement in a old thread...

From all the threads I've been tracking almost everyone has good things to say about this setup. One big exception was a guy who did a build thread and could not get this setup to work for love nor money. He even sent the unit back and had FiTech test it for him. He finally gave up and got a refund from FiTech. My impression is that he was disappointed in the system but relatively happy about his interactions with FiTech. Here's a link to the thread.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...605736&page=41

More recently there is now an install video on Youtube. Unfortunately it does not include the "fuel command center" in the install...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVnt15xhxCw

The guy in the video is Ken Farrell who is the founder of FiTech. From my understanding he was one of the main designers behind (for better or worse) the Powerjection III originally designed by RetroTek. RetroTek was bought by Professional Products and it appears that some time after the purchase most of the designers left PP (possibly to form FiTech and wait for a non-compete agreement to expire??) IMO, PP then pretty much dropped the ball in its support of the PJIII - there were bugs in the sw that never got fixed and end users became the main source of tech support.

Update: And here is a "marketing video" on FiTech from Summit...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocCoAS-Ia0E

Old 03/12/2016, 09:47 AM   #25
p51
My Car Details

Carpe Diem

Just some EFI FYI (for those who care)...

(1) FiTech is providing a ~10% rebate through the end of May.
http://www.jegs.com/rebates/fitech/rebate.pdf

(2) Looks like the 400HP EFI kit is coming out mid-April. This design seems to be based on the current shipping design (250HP-600HP) but with different injectors for the lower HP and with no timing control.
http://www.jegs.com/i/FITech+Fuel+In...FYqPfgodfC4NGg

(3) Looks like the direct competition - Holley Sniper EFI has been delayed (??) to June. This puts FiTech a year+ ahead on the learning curve...
http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/550...FUVhfgodNQYHJg

(4) Anyone considering this should definitely read through some of the main install threads out there. Most are very positive but there have been a couple - especially one where the guy had an engine with a really radical cam (see previous post) - that have had trouble getting this to work (he finally sent back the system). From what I can glean, if the engine has too radical a cam with a very low manifold vac signal the self-learning has a hard time converging. Another fellow is having problems with the Fuel Control Center venting correctly causing fuel starvation.

Old 03/12/2016, 10:32 AM   #26
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
thanks for the information!!!

Rob
Old 05/05/2016, 04:49 PM   #27
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
P51,
Just got off the phone with Kirk from FITech. He indicates that will have an 8 stack injection out in the near future to compete with TMW/Borla and Ingeles. I have a customer that wants one and I may have the coin to purchase the blower version from them. With the fuel management center it will cost me about $1,500 bucks.

Might have one sooner than later!! Thanks for the information on this company. I had not hard of them until you did your research!

Rob
Old 05/05/2016, 08:44 PM   #28
p51
My Car Details

Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert campbell View Post
P51,
Just got off the phone with Kirk from FITech. He indicates that will have an 8 stack injection out in the near future to compete with TMW/Borla and Ingeles. I have a customer that wants one and I may have the coin to purchase the blower version from them. With the fuel management center it will cost me about $1,500 bucks.

Might have one sooner than later!! Thanks for the information on this company. I had not hard of them until you did your research!

Rob
Rob

Very cool!

I have been reading the threads and almost all the reviews on the most popular 600HP Go-EFI system (not sure about the other systems) have been very positive. Be aware, however, that a few people who were putting this EFI on very high-performance engines (for example, with radical cams with very low vacuum signal) had problems getting it tuned. One guy who really seemed very knowledgeable had to give up on it. However, these stories seem to be the exception (literally, I've only read threads from two people that have any issues that were not self-induced).

Another note is that there does actually seem to be some issues/bugs with the Fuel Command Center (the companion sump system that removes the requirement for an efi tank). There have been a number of people that have run into problems with this and have defaulted to an efi fuel setup. Seems to be some issue about how the venting works but I'm not sure even FiTech really knows what the issue is.

I'd strongly advise reading some of the main forum threads out there about the installs before pulling the trigger. Some of the more useful ones...

Problem with the Fuel Command Center (need to go into the thread some ways to follow the issue with the FCC):
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/89-e...ll-w-pics.html

Thread from the guy with the radical engine who had to give up on EFI (this thread is not just about the EFI. The FiTech discussion gets interesting around page 40)...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...605736&page=40

Another few notes:
(1) There is a rebate available through the end of May. I think the rebate form is on the FiTech website
(2) They are way behind in shipments (four to six weeks)... evidently the popularity of this system has really taken off... possibly because of the rebates
(3) IMO these guys are doing a great job *but* they are a small company and the question comes up whether they can handle all the support needed or not.

Good luck
James

Old 05/06/2016, 08:24 AM   #29
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
James,
In my conversation yesterday, their tech Kirk indicated that they cannot meet the demand currently. Both Jegs and Summit Racing are now selling them which puts you into the largest market available. And they are pretty stringent that your company is legit, so they do not have a bunch of bad products on their sites

http://www.summitracing.com/search?S...=fitech&page=2

They now have the $795 entry level which would be great on any stock or mildly modified engine (what is mild in my thoughts).

They will drive the other guys down for sure and bring this technology to a very affordable level.

Rob
Old 07/21/2016, 10:47 PM   #30
Batgirl89

My Garage
Hey anyone put a FITech on yet??

P51 thank you for all the info!
Batgirl89 is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions