CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 03/20/2015, 03:33 PM   #1
vetteslick

Help Me Find a Quality CS

Quick Background. I have been a classic car guy since high school (I am 50)with my first car being a 1971 Challenger. Been mostly Chevy guy and Corvettes in particular over the years having had 9 to date to include my 1965 convertible and have had just about everything since aside from a Mustange.....74 Pantera, 89 Countach, 308 Ferrari. Only the 65 vette has remained constant in the stable (no pun intended) for 15 years so far. I decided a few months ago I wanted another interesting quality driver car and began to look for a change. Was looking at 1977/78 Bandit Trans AMs (I live in GA afterall) and I had one many years ago. These cars are garbage and quickly bailed. Maybe revisit challenger or even Superbird was my thought. My son just started college and we were picking up his 1968 LeMans convertible a few months ago and there was a 68 Mustang CS there. I have seen a few over the years but really like the unique look and now I have become obsessed to find one. Not an easy task. I do want a completely restored car and always been an originality and paperwork freak. Almost every car I have bought to date has had a book full of original paperwork to include original bill of sale and window sticker. Not a must but a preference to have some provenance. I do not want a clone car and I would like an automatic with 289 or larger engine. Do I ask for too much? Anybody out there have a quality driver 2+ car that they have been considering selling or can point me toward one? The few I have looked at were questionable at best. Figured if anyone would have one potentially for sale or know where one was this was the place to come. Any help is greatly appreciated.
vetteslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2015, 05:29 PM   #2
Mosesatm

I know where there is a beautiful white one that may be for sale, if you catch the owner on the right day....

Last edited by Mosesatm; 03/20/2015 at 07:55 PM..
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2015, 07:15 PM   #3
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Arlie,
Would this be Steve's car? It is awesome!

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2015, 07:26 PM   #4
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
Yes, Arlie emailed me about this and I just emailed vetteslick. I've contemplated selling mine to fund the boss project, since I haven't really driven it much the last two years, but was going to wait until next year. If it doesn't sell, I'm going to hit up the Bellevue show and a couple of other places and actually get to enjoy it again.

Steve

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2015, 09:04 PM   #5
Mosesatm

Steve,
You can drive my car and I'll hang on for dear life!
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/2015, 07:56 AM   #6
Don

Sorry, all CS/GT's belong in CA . Seriously if you are looking for a driver a Challenger would work but definitely not a Superbird. Cali Specials come up often but more and more folks are starting to wise up realize that they are unique and rare but not to the point where they are unobtainable. If you are patient you will be able to find one with full provenance and in very clean condition for under 30K ( a pittance compared to the cost of the other cars you describe) and they are rarer and more unique than most.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/2015, 09:29 AM   #7
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
a few years back a friend of mine had a 383 powered Superbird. As I remember it was unrestored, but a very nice survivor. Orange with white interior as I remember. Been a lot of years but he had heated garages and has kept them in awesome condition. Not sure if he would even part with it or if he still has it.

Rob
Old 03/21/2015, 10:04 AM   #8
vetteslick

Steve's car is very nice and we are talking.

Don, aside from all CS/GT's belong in CA I agree with you for the most part. Having that patience is my biggest problem. I tend to decide I want a certain car and research it for a few months and go get the best one I can find. Lately with the CS/GTs all that I have found is molested and questionable cars and even clones. I live in Roswell, GA and every year I hit up Barrett Jackson Palm Beach (my brother lives there) and this year is no exception. Always some excellent deals on Thurs/Fri cars and there are some nice choices on the partial docket posted thus far. No CS/GTs thus far though:(

Robert, Superbirds are awesome but looking for an already restored driveable car at this point. They get very pricey as well but certainly are unique and draw attention.
Old 03/21/2015, 10:58 AM   #9
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteslick View Post
Steve's car is very nice and we are talking.

Don, aside from all CS/GT's belong in CA I agree with you for the most part. Having that patience is my biggest problem. I tend to decide I want a certain car and research it for a few months and go get the best one I can find. Lately with the CS/GTs all that I have found is molested and questionable cars and even clones. I live in Roswell, GA and every year I hit up Barrett Jackson Palm Beach (my brother lives there) and this year is no exception. Always some excellent deals on Thurs/Fri cars and there are some nice choices on the partial docket posted thus far. No CS/GTs thus far though:(

Robert, Superbirds are awesome but looking for an already restored driveable car at this point. They get very pricey as well but certainly are unique and draw attention.
Hopefully you understand (with the winking smiley) that my comment was tongue in cheek. For me the hunt is most of the fun. I just completed a 5 year search for a resto-mod woodie wagon (I ended up with a '51 Merc) and had many memorable trips in the hunt process.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	woodie1.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	19053  
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/2015, 12:14 PM   #10
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
vetteslick;

I'm a couple hours north of you- in Franklin, NC. Come see me and I'll show you a couple of C/S's undergoing 'rehab'.
The Black one is next year's project.
The next 2 photos are my current project: in the body shop, then painted Highland Green with LED tail lights.
If you want to see one all opened up, down to the bones, come for a visit.

Neil
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	026.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	19054   Click image for larger version

Name:	030.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	19055   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00965.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	19056  

franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/2015, 01:08 PM   #11
vetteslick

Neil, Thanks for the pics. Tried to look at the photos in your gallery but unless something is set up wrong on my computer they just show an x despite an apparent .jpg file there. Same for all I have tried to look at in gallery.
My preference is not so much to see one down to the bones but more fully restored and in my driveway:) Don(vetteslick)
Old 03/21/2015, 03:41 PM   #12
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Don,
Any car that Neil restores is top cabin. The Highland Green one (dark green with a bit of metallic flake) he is finishing will be one of the nicest colors and be assembled properly with the utmost care.

I think GT/CS cars are less likely to come with loads of original paperwork and pedigree like some of the more expensive muscle cars seem to have. That does not mean they will not hold their value as time goes on. There is a 390 4 speed car in our classifieds that is also top cabin with an interesting story behind it.

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/...ad.php?t=11584

One could easily make this an auto car and store the 4 speed stuff if they wish to sell.

I think you made a smart choice coming to this site. Arlie has been trying to sell a beautiful GT optioned J Code GT/CS. Not many carry that option. I have personally worked on this car and had it on my 4 post lift. It is very nice and the GT option makes it extremely rare. It does need the correct 9 inch rear end to be complete, but it has a 5 speed in it. One drive up a freeway on-ramp and you will forget about that automatic.

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/...ad.php?t=11706

If you buy a car from Neil or Arlie you will not be sorry. You will get an outstanding car that will hold its value. Lee Nevill's 390 4 speed car above is rare upon rare.

You are in a site with honest caring people. You can do no better!!

Rob
Old 03/21/2015, 04:08 PM   #13
Midnight Special
My Car Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert campbell View Post
Don,
Any car that Neil restores is top cabin. The Highland Green one (dark green with a bit of metallic flake) he is finishing will be one of the nicest colors and be assembled properly with the utmost care.

I think GT/CS cars are less likely to come with loads of original paperwork and pedigree like some of the more expensive muscle cars seem to have. That does not mean they will not hold their value as time goes on. There is a 390 4 speed car in our classifieds that is also top cabin with an interesting story behind it.

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/...ad.php?t=11584

One could easily make this an auto car and store the 4 speed stuff if they wish to sell.

I think you made a smart choice coming to this site. Arlie has been trying to sell a beautiful GT optioned J Code GT/CS. Not many carry that option. I have personally worked on this car and had it on my 4 post lift. It is very nice and the GT option makes it extremely rare. It does need the correct 9 inch rear end to be complete, but it has a 5 speed in it. One drive up a freeway on-ramp and you will forget about that automatic.

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/...ad.php?t=11706

If you buy a car from Neil or Arlie you will not be sorry. You will get an outstanding car that will hold its value. Lee Nevill's 390 4 speed car above is rare upon rare.

You are in a site with honest caring people. You can do no better!!

Rob
...DITTO what Rob says!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_1104.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	19057  

Tim
Midnight Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/2015, 04:11 PM   #14
Midnight Special
My Car Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteslick View Post
... Tried to look at the photos in your gallery but unless something is set up wrong on my computer they just show an x despite an apparent .jpg file there. Same for all I have tried to look at in gallery...
...Same here. I'm wondering if the images are now too big since Jon's latest site upgrade. 'Seems 1 MB or smaller are all that's doable now...

Tim
Midnight Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/2015, 05:20 PM   #15
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Don,
And if you like white and red you may want to visit Steve Wicks (rvrtrash) garage!! Rare color combination and a 302 4V engine with an automatic.

His car is awesome!

Rob

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions