CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 01/22/2015, 02:03 AM   #1
Tequila

My Garage
Wiring Question

I am in the process of replacing my engine wiring harness and noticed that there is a smaller plug on the harness that I am trying to figure out what it is (see circled picture, next to the headlight and signal plugs). This is on the side with the voltage regulator.

The old wiring also has this plug, however it is wired back into the engine harness (see second picture). Does anyone know what it is for? Is it for the Lucas lights? How come it is plugged back into the old harness and not in the new one? I don't see where it plugs back to the harness, if should... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a wiring diagram book, but not sure where I placed it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring plug new.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	18878   Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring plug old.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	18879  
Tequila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2015, 05:32 AM   #2
Ruppstang

My Garage
In the first picture there should be a plug for head light, park light, marker light, horn and fog light.
In the second picture I have not seen that extra plug before but suspect that if the wires are grey that some one replaced the fog light wiring.
Marty

Follow HCS restoration at http://68hcs.weebly.com
Ruppstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2015, 10:12 AM   #3
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
Can you tell me the color code of these wires? (I have a list of all color codes, wire numbers, and circuits, but I can't seem to be able to attach it to this thread.)

Neil

PS: If anyone would like a copy, PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it to you. Its 7 or 8 pages, covers Mustangs '65 thru '73 plus Falcons & Comets.
This is not a wiring diagram. It is a list of wire numbers, color code, and the circuit application.

Last edited by franklinair; 01/22/2015 at 11:23 AM..
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2015, 10:49 AM   #4
green56

Wiring ?

Would like a copy of the wiring diagram here is my email blunite56@att.net Thanks Tom WI
green56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2015, 10:55 AM   #5
Tequila

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppstang View Post
In the first picture there should be a plug for head light, park light, marker light, horn and fog light.
In the second picture I have not seen that extra plug before but suspect that if the wires are grey that some one replaced the fog light wiring.
Marty
Thanks Marty. The plug on the old harness and the new harness are exactly same (smaller of the 3 plugs). My car didn't have the fog lights on it when I bought it so I am also thinking previous owner messed around with the fog light wiring. What's interesting is that it looks so original (no splices or cuts). But then again, if they taped it, then it's hard to tell if original or not.

I will look up the colors tonight and try to trace where the wires are going. Years of dirt!!
Old 01/22/2015, 10:56 AM   #6
Tequila

My Garage
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinair View Post
Can you tell me the color code of these wires? (I have a list of all color codes, wire numbers, and circuits, but I can't seem to be able to attach it to this thread.)

Neil

PS: If anyone would like a copy, PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it to you. Its 7 or 8 pages, covers Mustangs '65 thru '73 plus Falcons & Comets.
Thanks Neil. Appreciate it.
Old 01/22/2015, 12:23 PM   #7
Ruppstang

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequila View Post
Thanks Marty. The plug on the old harness and the new harness are exactly same (smaller of the 3 plugs). My car didn't have the fog lights on it when I bought it so I am also thinking previous owner messed around with the fog light wiring. What's interesting is that it looks so original (no splices or cuts). But then again, if they taped it, then it's hard to tell if original or not.

I will look up the colors tonight and try to trace where the wires are going. Years of dirt!!
Not all 68 front harnesses have the fog light wires, that is why I think someone may have replaced it then discovered that the fog light wiring was not there and added it. I'll bet those wires are grey.
Marty

Follow HCS restoration at http://68hcs.weebly.com
Ruppstang is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions