CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 12/05/2004, 09:42 AM   #1
gunzpilot

Power Steering Problem

I replaced the power steering pump, on my GT/CS a few years ago. The power steering does not work well now, until I am moving ( or RPM's are up ). The fluid in the resivior does not hardly move at idle, but, flows when I increase RPM's. I am guessing the Power Steering Pump is shot. Any thoughts? Thanks!
gunzpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/2004, 03:45 PM   #2
Jayscal
My Car Details

GT/CS owner for 23 years

Re:Power Steering Problem

There is always the possibility of a hose being kinked. When you start moving and the RPM's come up, the pressure rises and the fluid is forced thru a kinked hose. This will make the power assist work, but at idle the fluid won't flow well to the control valve.

From what you describe, I would bet the pressure line from the pump has a small kink in it. Do you have the correct bracket with the 2 hole bushing that mounts low on the shock tower? This keeps the hoses from kinking. I had many problems with the factory 289 P/S hose set-up because I ran the HI-PO exhaust manifolds. I solved the problem by using the big block P/S bracket that mounts on the lower control arm. Now all the hoses go straight down from the pump and don't get burned by the exaust when I make tight turns.
Jayscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/2004, 03:52 PM   #3
Jayscal
My Car Details

GT/CS owner for 23 years

Picture of Big block P/S steering set up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Big_block_steering_set_up_a.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	337  
Old 12/05/2004, 03:53 PM   #4
Jayscal
My Car Details

GT/CS owner for 23 years

Control valve view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Big_block_steering_set_up_b.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	338  
Old 12/05/2004, 07:22 PM   #5
66joej

[quote author=gunzpilot link=board=1;threadid=1234;start=0#msg6918 date=1102264925]
I replaced the power steering pump, on my GT/CS a few years ago. The power steering does not work well now, until I am moving ( or RPM's are up ). The fluid in the resivior does not hardly move at idle, but, flows when I increase RPM's. I am guessing the Power Steering Pump is shot. Any thoughts? Thanks!
[/quote]
Just my 2 cents but did you put power steering fluid in the reservoir. The Ford pumps call for ATF (auto trans fluid). I found this out many years ago. The relief valve in the pump tends to stick with the PS fluid. It will work if you rev up the engine.
Joe
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2004, 06:56 AM   #6
gunzpilot

Thanks Guys-

I checked all lines and did not find any kinks. I do have the bracket mounted on the tower. However,......I did use power steering fluid. Has anyone else heard that I should be using Auto transmission fluid?

Scott
gunzpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2004, 08:06 AM   #7
68gt390
My Car Details

The car that became a diecast

[quote author=66joej link=board=1;threadid=1234;start=0#msg6947 date=1102299739]
[quote author=gunzpilot link=board=1;threadid=1234;start=0#msg6918 date=1102264925]
[/quote]
Just my 2 cents but did you put power steering fluid in the reservoir. The Ford pumps call for ATF (auto trans fluid). I found this out many years ago. The relief valve in the pump tends to stick with the PS fluid. It will work if you rev up the engine.
Joe
[/quote]

What type of ATF did you use? When I replaced my pump, hoses etc., I originally used Dexron-III Mercon ATF fluid. Had problems with power steering working properly. Transmission shop I went to recommended I drain the Dexron-III and use Type "F" ATF for pre 1981 Ford Vehicles. Don't really know what the difference is but, it works now with no problems. Type "F" ATF can be picked-up at any local automotive parts place. Just a thought.

Don
68gt390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2004, 09:23 AM   #8
Jayscal
My Car Details

GT/CS owner for 23 years

I always used type F tranny fluid in the power steering, because it is what I had in my garage. Looks like you get off easy this time. Glad to hear that no lines were pinched.

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions