CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 05/25/2014, 03:05 PM   #1
mbsf1970

Dream car: '68 GTCS Pres Blue

Radio/Fuse question

O.k. So when I drove my mustang in November to bring it home, all worked well. Now when I turn on my stereo system, I blow the fuse thus losing not only radio but turn indicators as well. I replaced fuse with new one (14 A) and all was good until the first time I turned on stereo whereupon it blew again immediately. Mechanic replaced fuse and same thing again......ideas?? I've taken faceplate off stereo to avoid temptation to turn on. I'd hate to spend money replacing a stereo if that's not the problem. How would I know for certain its the stereo drawing too much power? Why would it have worked in November but not now? Any other ideas before I start switching things up??

Also, any suggestions for a decent stereo system that doesn't throw the looks off 100%?? Period looking perhaps with modern functionality?.....cd and ipod plug in?

Thanks,
Stephen
mbsf1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2014, 03:24 PM   #2
stangfan

GT/CS 8R01C150245

My Garage
The latest Mustang Monthly had an advertisement with a look alike 67-68 radio with all the newest features.

http://www.retrosound.com/searchresults.asp?cat=9885

Looks like they have different levels of radio depending on what you want.

Steve Cracknell
stangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2014, 04:49 PM   #3
CougarCJ
My Car Details

Spaceman Spiff

My Garage
Pretty common wiring mistake.

The double blue plug connector to the radio is not a power and a ground. It is power for the radio and power for the radio lamp. Ground for factory radios were to the chassis, not a ground wire.

Scott Behncke
1968 GT/CS 302-4V Honors flysis income beezis onches nobis inob keesis
West Coast Classic Cougar A good source for Mustang mechanical parts too.
CougarCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2014, 04:53 PM   #4
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Not sure how new your current stereo is, but many new ones require a constant power wire to keep the programmed settings. Many times the installer uses a spade clip to a fuse on the factory fuse box. So if your stereo is plugged into your fuse box on the turn signal fuse, that may explain something.

Not sure what fuse you are replacing? Is it an inline fuse to the stereo or a fuse in the fuse box?

I just installed a retrosound radio in my brothers 1967 Fastback. Unit is very small and adjust to a factory face plate. They have cool stick on dial things that look like stock. Very nice sound and all the new iPod and other accessory hookups. I am going to put one in both my cars when funds allow. Nice stuff!!!!

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2014, 05:02 PM   #5
mbsf1970

Rob,
Its the uppermost horizontal fuse in fuse box (14A).

@Cougar: are you suggesting that I have only 1 of what should 2 blue wires powering radio and that the second blue wire (which should also go to radio for power) is acting as ground and shorting system out?

Stephen

Thanks for retro radio website.....looks very cool and in lie with what I'm thinking...
Old 05/25/2014, 08:34 PM   #6
CougarCJ
My Car Details

Spaceman Spiff

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbsf1970 View Post
Rob,
Its the uppermost horizontal fuse in fuse box (14A).

@Cougar: are you suggesting that I have only 1 of what should 2 blue wires powering radio and that the second blue wire (which should also go to radio for power) is acting as ground and shorting system out?

Stephen

Thanks for retro radio website.....looks very cool and in lie with what I'm thinking...
Stephen, I was assuming that you had an after market stereo? that someone had tried wiring a negative lead to a powered lead. There is a double female blue plug for the stock radios on the under dash harness. Both leads are positive powered.
Do you have a stock stereo that worked prior?

Scott Behncke
1968 GT/CS 302-4V Honors flysis income beezis onches nobis inob keesis
West Coast Classic Cougar A good source for Mustang mechanical parts too.
CougarCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2014, 10:31 PM   #7
mbsf1970

No Scott. It is an aftermarket one. The thing is, blowing fuses is a recent occurrence as the radio worked fine prior to this recent episode of fuse popping.
I just am not mechanically/electrically inclined so paying for a repair on an ugly radio or one that just needs a wire plugged in properly irks me.

On anther note, are you the Cougar man that can hook me up with 2 rear reflector gaskets for my post feb 15th external reflectors. If so, please pm me cost details . Thanks much,
Stephen
Old 05/26/2014, 12:23 PM   #8
hcsstang

eBay: hcsstang

I'm thinking about converting the original radio into AM FM one.

302 V4 HCS
hcsstang is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions