CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 04/18/2014, 07:00 PM   #1
Tequila

My Garage
68/69 tilt steering column

I was able to get hold of an original 69 tilt steering column assy. The tilt works with the lever however when pulled on the cable that would be hooked up to the vacuum assy, the tilt mechanism isn't working. Does anyone know if there are shops or people out there that can restore them? thanks.
Tequila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/19/2014, 12:01 AM   #2
dalorzo_f
My Car Details

My Garage
I would assume there are a few. WCCC just had an advert for this service I got in an email yesterday.

"See this guy? This is Don W. You might recognize him from the video you just watched. It turns out that Don is quickly becoming an expert in the vintage FoMoCo tilt / tilt-away steering column system. Having problems with yours? Send it in and we can repair it. Want to get rid of a tilt column? We'll buy it. Want to buy a complete column? We can build it. We have the technology. Contact us at (503) 463-1130."

I had a similar issue, but shipping to/from US/Australia was a deal breaker. The only real trick is making a puller to get the assembly apart, I found most of what I needed on the web, information wise. The rest was a bit of head scratching and pondering. But not overly difficult.

I did take a bunch of photos but have not done a write up yet.
dalorzo_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/19/2014, 01:15 AM   #3
Tequila

My Garage
Thank dalorzo. I watched some of the WCCC videos and they seem to be pretty good. Glad to hear they are doing restorations. I thought it was only parts.

I will give them a call on Monday.
-
Old 04/19/2014, 05:19 AM   #4
Ruppstang

My Garage
Before you spend any money I would remove the outer covers and spray lube the mechanism and the release cable in particular. Often they get stuck from inactivity. I takes a fair amount of force the release so put a nail or punch through the clevis at the end of the cable to pull on.

I might add that the vacuum bracket is different on a 68 so a 69 will not work in your car.
Marty

Follow HCS restoration at http://68hcs.weebly.com
Ruppstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/19/2014, 12:37 PM   #5
Tequila

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppstang View Post
Before you spend any money I would remove the outer covers and spray lube the mechanism and the release cable in particular. Often they get stuck from inactivity. I takes a fair amount of force the release so put a nail or punch through the clevis at the end of the cable to pull on.

I might add that the vacuum bracket is different on a 68 so a 69 will not work in your car.
Marty
Hi Marty,
Good idea about applying the lubricant.

Can you please elaborate on the vacuum bracket being different? I bought the 69 steering assembly and the brackets. If I get the bracket for a 68 do you think I can swap the components? Or is the 69 bracket fairly easy to modify so it will fit the 68?

If anyone has pictures of the 68 brackets please PM me or post it here. I am really hoping for it work as I already spent a fortune on finding original set.

Thanks!!!
Old 04/19/2014, 03:24 PM   #6
Ruppstang

My Garage
You can switch out the components. I rather doubt that you could modify it. As luck would have it I have a extra 69 and no 68's.
Marty

Old 04/20/2014, 06:18 AM   #7
Ruppstang

My Garage
Here is a site that shows some picture of the bracket. You might want to call them and see if they have any 68 brackets.

http://ebayimages.westcoastclassicco...1028.jpg17.jpg

Old 04/20/2014, 09:29 AM   #8
Tequila

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppstang View Post
Here is a site that shows some picture of the bracket. You might want to call them and see if they have any 68 brackets.

http://ebayimages.westcoastclassicco...1028.jpg17.jpg
Awesome. thank you so much for finding a picture.
Old 05/17/2014, 11:37 AM   #9
Mosesatm

Here is a Craigslist ad for Mustang Parts and one of the items is a tilt steering system.
http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/4428514566.html
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/2014, 10:35 PM   #10
Tequila

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosesatm View Post
Here is a Craigslist ad for Mustang Parts and one of the items is a tilt steering system.
http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/4428514566.html
I looked at the ad too... They wanted $1000 for the system. Little steep in my opinion.
Old 05/17/2014, 11:06 PM   #11
Tequila

My Garage
I have another question. I bought a 69 tilt system for use in a 68 thinking that the only difference was the bracket. I was able to get a bracket thru WCCC. I was told by someone recently that the 68 and 69 are also different lengthwise (approx 1" difference) and I have to modify the rod to fit. Is that true? Thanks.
Old 05/18/2014, 01:59 AM   #12
dalorzo_f
My Car Details

My Garage
For a complete system with all the parts that is not really that bad. You "may" find one cheaper, but from the ones I've seen recently $500 for the column alone is market price and all the add-ons add up. Not making any more!
dalorzo_f is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions