CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 02/05/2014, 05:56 PM   #31
Sarge

My Garage
So sorry to hear of the loss Donna, I'm just glad no one was hurt. Once a list of what is needed is available, maybe we could post it somewhere on this board, and see if we can rummage through our parts bins and come up with as much as possible of what is needed?
I know I have several parts that I have either replaced or bought/sourced "just in case" over the years, as have probably a lot of folks here. If we all contributed what we could afford, it might make sourcing the rest of it easier.
Regards,
Robert
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2014, 05:58 PM   #32
Mosesatm

Great idea Sarge!!!

Donna,
I have a heater case if you need it, probably lots of other stuff, too.
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2014, 06:25 PM   #33
Sarge

My Garage
Another random thought here. Maybe we could get one of our local GTCS stars out to help Donna take inventory of what is good and what is needed? Preferably someone with mechanical experience? Just throwing it out there, don't want to sign anyone up for something they aren't able to do.
Robert
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2014, 08:29 PM   #34
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Special View Post
...I'll check tonight as I'm pretty sure I have a couple of correct 2v carbs. Do I send them to Rob for refurb ??
No problemo!!!
robert campbell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2014, 08:31 PM   #35
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
Another random thought here. Maybe we could get one of our local GTCS stars out to help Donna take inventory of what is good and what is needed? Preferably someone with mechanical experience? Just throwing it out there, don't want to sign anyone up for something they aren't able to do.
Robert
Robert,
You are correct. An experienced Mustang restorer needs to view the damage.

rob
robert campbell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2014, 10:03 PM   #36
Diesel Donna
My Car Details

Take that pony for a ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppstang View Post
A couple of years ago the MCA made the decision to not allow any cars on the show field with out a fire extinguisher. There were some that were angered at this decision which is hard for me to understand. Fires are rare but that is little consolation when it is your car or the car next to you. For $20 you could save your car or some one else's. That is pretty cheep insurance. I would urge everyone to have one in their car. Even if it does not save the car it is better than just watching it burn.
Yes I had a fire extinguisher but in the situation I was in, if it got out of hand, then I had too much to risk. House, garage, pets, neighbors. I guess you had to be there.
When I go to some car shows with the ambulance it is required to have an extinguisher displayed at the left front of the car and I don't ever have a problem with that.
I was once told, "if you ever wonder if you should call 911...then you SHOULD". So I did.

My GT/CS was my first car, still have it 43 years later. Paid $800. Featured in the May 1998 issue of Mustang Illustrated.
70 Cadillac S&S Ambulance, 70 Toyota Land Cruiser
Diesel Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2014, 10:05 PM   #37
Diesel Donna
My Car Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrtrash View Post
I didn't mean to start a squabble, but I have to say dalorzo, that not everyone that disagrees with you is an idiot. Not every buyer is as "enlightened" as you, and personally, I use every tool I can to get the price of a car down when I'm buying one. Not original engine/tranny? That should be good for a bargaining chip. Salvage title? Sure, I know it could be something minor, but it could also mean the front end was ripped off by a freight train. If I had a chance to buy two identical cars for exactly the same price and one said "Salvage" or "Rebuilt", I'd go for the other without a second thought.

Donna, sorry your thread got hijacked by something I said. Please know that I was only trying to look out for your best interests.

Steve
Steve...it might be time for a road trip again...I can borrow a trailer. Let me know when the snow is gone!

My GT/CS was my first car, still have it 43 years later. Paid $800. Featured in the May 1998 issue of Mustang Illustrated.
Old 02/05/2014, 10:08 PM   #38
Diesel Donna
My Car Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrtrash View Post
If Mike doesn't have the air cleaner, I think I have one that would be correct, but it's missing the snorkel. I also have a pair of shock tower braces, if those were damaged.

Steve
Everything was pretty much fried.

Old 02/05/2014, 10:12 PM   #39
Diesel Donna
My Car Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert campbell View Post
Robert,
You are correct. An experienced Mustang restorer needs to view the damage.

rob
Yes, I have been thinking about that. I have a good friend nearby who can probably come help me with a list. He has built several Mustangs from the ground up and he knows my car too.

Old 02/05/2014, 10:21 PM   #40
Diesel Donna
My Car Details

All of you have been so helpful and that is what I needed because this is just overwhelming. I'll have to inventory the parts I have stashed as well, it isn't much though. I get home from work right when it is getting dark and I work most weekends so it's hard to get out there and see exactly what I need. Hopefully this Saturday I can do it. The couple of times I did go out to the car, I cleaned out the trunk and opened the hood and just stared at it and shut it again....couldn't see very well cuz my eyes were brimming.

Old 02/06/2014, 06:16 AM   #41
Mosesatm

Donna,
It may be a good idea to take a peek under the car because the fire may have also damaged suspension bushings and other rubber items close to the engine compartment.
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/06/2014, 10:14 AM   #42
CougarCJ
My Car Details

Spaceman Spiff

My Garage
This would also be the time to do the disc brake conversion.

Some time in the spring or very early summer I need to make a trip to Chino. I can be the pack mule to bring parts.

I will be attending the Portland Swapmeet in April.

Last edited by CougarCJ; 02/06/2014 at 02:03 PM..

Scott Behncke
1968 GT/CS 302-4V Honors flysis income beezis onches nobis inob keesis
West Coast Classic Cougar A good source for Mustang mechanical parts too.
CougarCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/06/2014, 01:58 PM   #43
Midnight Special
My Car Details

...DD, it looks like the help and suggestions will be overwelming as the actual event! :-)

I have a carb, lots of pieces & period odds & ends I'd love to donate once an assessment, list and place to ship are established.

Keep us posted....>

Tim
Midnight Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/06/2014, 03:30 PM   #44
66hcs-conv
My Car Details

66 HCS-conv, Columbine blue & 2001 Cobra conv

My Garage
Smile

Donna,

WOW, am I sorry to hear about your car. BUT it looks repairable, and nobody was hurt.

I live in Loveland, CO and have a nice 10 X 6 enclosed trailer. I'm not sure where you are located, but I would be willing to shuttle parts from or to Des Moines, Kansas City, Albuq, NM, points north, northwest, and west of Denver.

Pretty much any where within in a 700 mile circle around Denver.

Lemme know. Dave

If confusion is a destination.....we have arrived.
66hcs-conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/06/2014, 05:28 PM   #45
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Donna View Post
Steve...it might be time for a road trip again...I can borrow a trailer. Let me know when the snow is gone!
Will do. It might be a bit. It got down to -7 deg. last night. It has to warm up to get to Damn cold!

Steve

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions