CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 11/12/2004, 08:28 AM   #1
1fb1gtcs
My Car Details

Daily drivers, weekend drivers, annual drivers?

Hello everyone! I'm new to this site, but have had my special for probably a year now. Right now it can be driven any time because it's in pretty sad (visually) shape. How many of you drive yours to work every day, or just on weekends etc... I want to restore mine back to as close to original as possible, but I don't want to get too picky because I just love driving these old cars like it was still the 60's! They are kind of a time machine for me, being 23 yrs old I missed all the really cool car days, but I have my little pieces of history and I like to use them every day. What are your thoughts?
1fb1gtcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2004, 09:23 AM   #2
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
Re:Daily drivers, weekend drivers, annual drivers?

I fix mine up like it was going to be in a car show and then I drive them, because that's what I enjoy, but because of the winters up here, only in the summer. If you restore yours, I recommend you save all the old parts and throw them in a box up on a shelf somewhere. Someday these cars will start going up in price a lot and if you ever sell, some people like having the original parts. Once they are gone, you can't get them back.
Steve
PS, welcome to the family.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2004, 10:17 AM   #3
davidathans
My Car Details

Best e.t. : 11.042, Fastest speed: 124.08, Best 60' : 1.615, 0 to 100 in 6.98

Mine has been my everyday driver since i was 16, but the car has been in the shop so much that i cant really say "everyday driver" it spends more time in the shop than i drive it.
davidathans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2004, 01:29 PM   #4
coloradoHCS
My Car Details

eBay: coniferhi

I drive mine weekends in the summer and once or twice to work on Fridays if the weather is good.

Whatever you decide I would recommend keeping it as original as possible and I agree, don't get rid of the old parts. Part of the value is it's history.

I also have a 1965 Vette Sting Ray that I drive. So many in that group have over restored their cars to trailer queen status that I believe they have lost some of the fun factor of owning one in the first place. Oh well, my two cents worth, Mark.
coloradoHCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2004, 03:42 PM   #5
quicknick
My Car Details

eBay: gtcslover

Send a message via MSN to quicknick
My Garage

Our mustangs get driven on weekends to car shows and other outings during the summer months. I will drive the CS to work on occasion if the weather is nice and if there is room to park it inside the building.
I have to agree with Mark. The wisest thing to do is restore it to it's stock, original condition and keep all the original parts. It's the best way for a classic car to hold it's value and desirability.
quicknick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2004, 07:02 PM   #6
68gt390
My Car Details

The car that became a diecast

Well folks it's now 34 degrees here in Ohio and we just got back from dinner and yes, we drove the CS. You should have seen the folks gathered around the car when we came out from the restaurant. Everybody had questions. I drive mine year round as long as the roads are dry and snow free. I didn't put it back together to let it sit or be trailored. I have nothing against trailored cars but, I figure if I'm spending the money to restore it then I want the pleasure of driving it. But, that's just me. I'll have my 68 GT 390 Coupe out Saturday on it's way to the exhaust shop for some minor tweaks. These cars are made for enjoyment. Bottom line with me, I don't have my cars for profit, I have them to enjoy and to spank a "Bowtie" everynow and then.

Don ;D ;D ;D
68gt390 is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions