CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 08/17/2013, 02:53 PM   #1
dalorzo_f
My Car Details

My Garage
Vinyl roofs and rust

See a lot of posts about the horrors of vinyl roofs. if you are doing one, here is a tip based on the few I have done....

Clean, sand and primer the top before applying the vinyl roof. A clean and prepped surface is critical. Here are two rust spots that were on my '68 GT/CS. A second top, that showed two bubbles before removing.

#1, the previous installer obviously took a razor knife and cut the old top. Did not bother to fix the cut. The cut rusted. A little care in removing, or 5 minutes with a sander and a rattle can of etch primer and not an issue.

#2 rear window upper edge. Hard to tell but again looks like some scraping when removing the old top, unprepped before install.

So the moral of the story is.... just do decent prep and rust should not be a big problem in the future.

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > Restoration Reference Archives > Body & Exterior