CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 05/04/2013, 05:26 AM   #1
Forsche

Sequential tailights

For those of you who are not yet bored with my posts as we continue to learn more about Sara's CS I have another small oddity.

In addition to the interesting ram air set-up, the active brake ducts and the argent painted taillight panel, I forgot to mention that the CS has "partial" sequential turn signals. That is, the left turn signal is sequential but not the right. Could be that the right was never installed? Installed but quit working and was later removed?

I'll try to take some pics of the left actuator. As I recall it looked like the left actuator had been spliced in rather than using a shelby or t-bird harness.

I recall the actuator is mounted on a metal flange. There is a flange on the right side but no actuator. Are these flanges also on the CS but not used? I can't recall if the metal flange is part of the taillight panel or the quarter panel. I would think that the taillight panel on this car is the original CS panel but is there a difference between the CS and shelby panel?

Thanks....

Edit - as I looked at some picks of the dynamite sticks online, I noticed that these appear to be dated. Will check to see if the one on the car is also dated.

Last edited by Forsche; 05/04/2013 at 05:40 AM..
Forsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/04/2013, 05:51 AM   #2
dalorzo_f
My Car Details

My Garage
CS and Shelby tail panel are the same part. As are the trunk lid and end caps.

Sequentials were not used on the GT/CS. And, I think, had had different wiring to the rear than the Shelby.

There in no metal on the fiberglass tail panel if that is what you are referring to. Only flanges I can think of are the tabs to fold back and retain the wiring loom, about 3/4" long and maybe 1/2" wide, have rubber covers. Pretty small to mount anything to.

Post a pic. Here are some form mine, the green wire is an add on I've never figured out... just abandoned in the trunk. Not the best, but all I have available now..

Sounds like a PO wanted to Shelby-ize the car.
dalorzo_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/04/2013, 07:35 AM   #3
Forsche

Pics of sequential lighting

Thanks Dalorzo,

Posting a few pics of the left and right side as well as the metal tab I was talking about. Dalorzo, am I imagining it or do I see in one of your pics either a broken off or bent over metal tab....or did yours not have this tab. Clearly looks like the tab was intended for the sequential dynamite sticks.

in Sara's car it looks like the right side is spliced and now taped but at one time likely had the sequential lights installed. Disappointing that the dynamite stick and clip that held it on are missing but then again, I guess it adds to the quirky factor of this car. You can see two very thin white wires. On the left side these two thin wires are connected to the dynamite sticks. Then they run across the tail light panel to the right side but as you can see in one of the pics the right side is not connected to anything so I assume these two thin wires were specifically for the sequential lighting.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-92.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	16222   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-91.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	16223   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-90.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	16224  

Old 05/04/2013, 03:40 PM   #4
dalorzo_f
My Car Details

My Garage
That is the retainer tab for the wire loom. There is a series of them along the upper edge of the tail panel as well. You can see a few in the first pic I posted.

On my cars the one on the side do not have any holes. Not sure if that is how the Shleby's mounted them or not... the Shelby Unique Parts Catalog does not list them, or show how they mounted. No clips as shown on yours are provided with the repros.

The wiring you show looks non-standard, cut and connect, not the Scotch locks originally used on Shelbys.
Old 05/04/2013, 05:08 PM   #5
GTCSMustang

The dynamite sticks used in 1968 Shelbys were made by General Electric and dated by month with an ink stamp on the body of the tube. The dynamite stick had a wiring harness with plug that plugged into the existing Thunderbird taillight harness and was Scotch-loked to the existing Mustang taillight haness (that had the Mustang plug cut off). The dynamite stick was mounted in the upper corner inside the trunk by means of a special zip tie with prong. Ford serviced the dynamite sticks for years but they are very hard to get now. And they almost always had a service date like 1971. What you have in your car is a fairly uncommon over-the-counter parts store kit for converting taillights to sequential. I'll get a photo of one of the kits later today.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Slide1.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	16225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide2.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	16226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide3.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	16227  

Name:	Slide4.JPG
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	16228   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide6.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	16229  

68.5 Blck Mustang CJ Cnvrt, 68 Lme Gld GT/CS, 68 Rd HCS (fact 428), 68 Ac Bl Mustang GT Cnvrt, 68 Ylw GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Hlnd Grn GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Gld G.T. 500 Cnvrt, 68 Ryl Maroon Mustang Sprint Cpe, 68.5 Hlnd Grn Fstbck, 68.5 Ylw Mustang Fstbck. Visit my website www.scottfullerreproductions.com .
GTCSMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/04/2013, 05:15 PM   #6
dalorzo_f
My Car Details

My Garage
Impressive stuff... thanks for the excellent info! (and I stole your photos for reference as the EXP is going to get sequentials...)
Old 05/04/2013, 05:18 PM   #7
dalorzo_f
My Car Details

My Garage
And in looking at the photos, it appears that the original zip tie had a tab, similar to those on the wiring harness, to attach it to an existing 9or line drilled?) hole in the tail panel?

Have not seen these before, heard reference to them, do you know of a source for a pair and a couple spares?
Old 05/04/2013, 05:20 PM   #8
GTCSMustang

Let me know if you need any correct dynamite sticks for the EXP. I'm the only one that makes an exact copy of the originals with 4-date codes to choose from. I also have the special zip-ties with prong and bone colored Scotch-Lok connectors. Photos in link below.

http://www.scottfullerreproductions....29/4646978.htm

Scott

68.5 Blck Mustang CJ Cnvrt, 68 Lme Gld GT/CS, 68 Rd HCS (fact 428), 68 Ac Bl Mustang GT Cnvrt, 68 Ylw GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Hlnd Grn GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Gld G.T. 500 Cnvrt, 68 Ryl Maroon Mustang Sprint Cpe, 68.5 Hlnd Grn Fstbck, 68.5 Ylw Mustang Fstbck. Visit my website www.scottfullerreproductions.com .
Old 05/04/2013, 05:41 PM   #9
GTCSMustang

Here's what you have in your car. Note that these are dated 1967.

Scott

Old 05/04/2013, 05:43 PM   #10
GTCSMustang

Oops, now with photos.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2699.JPG
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	16235   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2700.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	16236   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2701.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	16237  

Name:	IMG_2702.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	16238   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2703.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	16239  

Old 05/04/2013, 06:08 PM   #11
dalorzo_f
My Car Details

My Garage
You have too much cool stuff...
Old 05/04/2013, 07:09 PM   #12
Forsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTCSMustang View Post
Oops, now with photos.

Scott
Thanks Scott! This site is so damn valuable. And I appreciate the info about your reproductions and even mores the info on the dynamite stick that we have. I doubt that I'll do go the repro sequential route since I plan on leaving the car pretty much as is. If the left one keeps working we'll have one sequential and one regular blinker. : )

I'm still intrigued with the metal tab, clip and wire that holds the one dynamite stick on. Dalorzo are you sure that is a wire loom tab? It does'nt look like it since the wire loom tabs are painted black, seem to be a bit more squared off and also the black area appears to have rubberized coating on the tabs? The two tabs on each end with the hole in them seem different. See the pics below of the wire loom tab and the other tab.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo-93.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	16240   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-94.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	16241   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-95.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	16242  

Old 05/04/2013, 08:43 PM   #13
Ruppstang

My Garage
Dalorzo is correct the metal tabs are wire harness retainers and all Mustangs have them. Your appears to have the rubber tip removed and a hole drilled in it. What a special car you have! I wonder why owners did not just buy a Shelby? They had enough GOLD.
Marty

Follow HCS restoration at http://68hcs.weebly.com
Ruppstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/04/2013, 08:50 PM   #14
dalorzo_f
My Car Details

My Garage
Yep, I am absolutely sure.

Originally they had a small rubber cap. Not painted, other than body color.

They hold the wiring to the side of the tail panel, usually on the left where the main loom comes in over the wheel arch, and then the up to the upper edge of the panel. Also on the right for the tail light feed, but often missed. They are factory on all tail panels. Less the hole.

Here is one in my 68 S code convertible. The GT/CS and GT S coupe have the same tabs...

And this is the GT/CS, you ca see the PO crap whatever-sealant-goop they decided to "improve" the trunk with shadowed spray on the backside of the tab, which is a bit hard to see...

Old 05/05/2013, 04:13 AM   #15
Forsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalorzo_f View Post
Yep, I am absolutely sure.

Originally they had a small rubber cap. Not painted, other than body color.

They hold the wiring to the side of the tail panel, usually on the left where the main loom comes in over the wheel arch, and then the up to the upper edge of the panel. Also on the right for the tail light feed, but often missed. They are factory on all tail panels. Less the hole.

Here is one in my 68 S code convertible. The GT/CS and GT S coupe have the same tabs...

And this is the GT/CS, you ca see the PO crap whatever-sealant-goop they decided to "improve" the trunk with shadowed spray on the backside of the tab, which is a bit hard to see...

Thanks. Great info and very helpful pics!

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions