CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 02/04/2013, 02:06 PM   #61
Forsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinair View Post
What are the dark discolorations on the bottom of the driver's door?

Neil
Mud and snow. So the first info is coming in on the car. Lots of pics. Many are close-ups so not great pics. Here is the first and real confusing thing though. Vin is missing. Take a look at the pic. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1310.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	15752  
Forsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2013, 02:13 PM   #62
Forsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsche View Post
Mud and snow. So the first info is going in on the car. Lots of pics. Many are close-ups so not great pics. Here is the first and real confusing thing though. Vin is missing. Take a look at the pic. Thoughts?
Inititial word back on the car is very clean. Very grimy and interior was not treated very well. Driver seat needs repair in a couple of places. No dash cracks, one spot of rust near shock mount. Need to give it a better look. Than VIN thing is really odd though. Gonna look for a build sheet. Where are they usually located?
Old 02/04/2013, 02:33 PM   #63
somethingspecial

My Garage
Chances of finding a build sheet are very slim. Usually in the back of one of the front seats, or rolled up around the underdash wiring loom. The VIN I would bet is there. San Jose cars had the vin stamped futher outboard, thus being covered by the fender, dispite the cutout. Remove the fender and you will find it. Also check on the Passenger side in the same location. Should be there as well. You can look upward from the wheel well and usually see the inverted dents from the VIN stamp.

Mike Jewell
GT/CS Registrar
mikej@bigbytes.com
If at first you don't succeed, Parachuting is not for you!!!!
somethingspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2013, 02:38 PM   #64
Forsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingspecial View Post
Chances of finding a build sheet are very slim. Usually in the back of one of the front seats, or rolled up around the underdash wiring loom. The VIN I would bet is there. San Jose cars had the vin stamped futher outboard, thus being covered by the fender, dispite the cutout. Remove the fender and you will find it. Also check on the Passenger side in the same location. Should be there as well. You can look upward from the wheel well and usually see the inverted dents from the VIN stamp.
Ah..that's helpful. I'll ask Paul to take a look. Thanks! More pics later tonight.

Steve
Old 02/04/2013, 06:29 PM   #65
Ruppstang

My Garage
Quote:
Mud and snow. So the first info is coming in on the car. Lots of pics. Many are close-ups so not great pics. Here is the first and real confusing thing though. Vin is missing. Take a look at the pic. Thoughts?
The legal VIN plate is on the passenger windsheild base. As Mike said the consealed VINs are under the fenders. Marty

Follow HCS restoration at http://68hcs.weebly.com
Ruppstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2013, 06:59 PM   #66
Forsche

Brake cooling?

So here is something else I didn't expect. I'm attaching a copy of the Marti report and a couple of pics. The Marti report shows "extra cooling". Does this refer to the side brake cooling ducts which I thought were not active on the GT/CS?. As you can see in the two pics there appears to be cooling vents in the wheel well and the pic of the side-vents looks like they may be real. Thoughts?
Old 02/04/2013, 07:04 PM   #67
Forsche

pics related to previous post

Sorry, here are the pics. Didn't seem to load last time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9374.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	15762   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3593.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	15763   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8389.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	15764  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 8R01J160856_stdrpt-2.pdf (119.8 KB, 25 views)
Old 02/04/2013, 07:25 PM   #68
stangfan

GT/CS 8R01C150245

My Garage
My guess is that the "extra cooling" option would be a larger radiator than normal. The scoops appear to be missing the mesh inserts.

Steve Cracknell
stangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2013, 07:38 PM   #69
Forsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangfan View Post
My guess is that the "extra cooling" option would be a larger radiator than normal. The scoops appear to be missing the mesh inserts.
But is the tubing at the from of the rear wheel well normal?
Old 02/04/2013, 08:27 PM   #70
Forsche

Hood Scoop/Forced Air induction

As mentioned the car is still very filthy but thought I would post a couple more pics. Here are some under hood shots showing the dealer installed forced air induction. An oddity but somehow sort of cool that this recluse and his mother would have this added at the dealer. Notice what looks like the Cobra logo on the underside of the hood scoop.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5246.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	15765   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9672.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	15766  

Last edited by Forsche; 02/04/2013 at 08:48 PM..
Old 02/04/2013, 10:17 PM   #71
Diesel Donna
My Car Details

Take that pony for a ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt/csj4 View Post
i was totally kidding bout the lime gold thing lol i would leave it too, i dont mind the color actually
whew!!!!

My GT/CS was my first car, still have it 43 years later. Paid $800. Featured in the May 1998 issue of Mustang Illustrated.
70 Cadillac S&S Ambulance, 70 Toyota Land Cruiser
Diesel Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2013, 10:21 PM   #72
Diesel Donna
My Car Details

Take that pony for a ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Special View Post
...Yeu fergot yer mud flaps, gun rack and CB whip!...>
Unbelievable! Mine had the four mud flaps, rear bumper mounted CB antenna and I kept a Beretta right beside the drivers' bucket and the tranny hump. Shaazam!

My GT/CS was my first car, still have it 43 years later. Paid $800. Featured in the May 1998 issue of Mustang Illustrated.
70 Cadillac S&S Ambulance, 70 Toyota Land Cruiser
Diesel Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2013, 09:47 AM   #73
stangfan

GT/CS 8R01C150245

My Garage
Quote:
But is the tubing at the from of the rear wheel well normal?
I don't have a clue about that. It's not aimed at the brakes anyways, so I doubt it would do much brake cooling.

Steve Cracknell
stangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2013, 10:07 AM   #74
Forsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by nates68 View Post
Yes i think she did,because i asked him the same thing it seemed they had some odd things done to this car.I called Tim once about the scoop we were excited at first thought it was a big block i believe it was a 302-J code.The son never seemed to do anything to the car,even wash it. LOL. I always got a chuckle seeing the Bug screen on the front.I did check the Vin # at one time,and looked the car over it seemed all orig.I believe you got a good car for the money.Going to miss seeing it in town.Hope this helped a little.

Nate
Hey Nate, do you recall noticing or asking them anything about the brake ducts? They look like they were made functional on this car. There are no screens on the ducts and if you look at the pic of the inner wheel well that I posted, it looks like there is ventilation tubing. I haven't been able to look at the car myself yet. My mechanic has not yet responded to me about that pic but it sure looks like someone did something. Did they mention that they had the dealer do anything with the brake ducts?

Thanks!
Old 02/05/2013, 10:21 AM   #75
x-codegtcs

eBay: ski*beast

My Garage
Totally love the ram air on the 302 and brake cooling ducts! The previous owners really had a pench for the unusual and dealer options.

Love the bug grill by the way!

1967 390 GTA Fastback
1968 J-Code GT/CS (Under Restoration) http://68jcodegtcs.blogspot.com/
1968 GT500 Convertible Replica
1968 X-Code GT/CS (SOLD)
x-codegtcs is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions