• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Well, I just bought the "7 million in gold and 1 GT/CS" car

clubpro

Steve,

It looks like the previous owner wanted as many Shelby features as possible. The silver taillight surround, the functional side scoops, the sequential rear turn signals and the functional hood scoop.

The non GT 302's would have had the single exhaust. Looking at your Marti report it looks like you have a standard 302 CS not a GT.

Have fun with your great find!

Cheers,

Ron

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Steve,

It looks like the previous owner wanted as many Shelby features as possible. The silver taillight surround, the functional side scoops, the sequential rear turn signals and the functional hood scoop.

The non GT 302's would have had the single exhaust. Looking at your Marti report it looks like you have a standard 302 CS not a GT.

Cheers,

Ron

I agree Ron. Wish I could clarify when he (or his mother) did all of this. Unfortunately there are no friends or relatives left to ask them about it. Nate did have a conversation at a grocery store in carson city and did verify that the hood scoop was added by the dealer. I'd suspect that most of these changes were done at that same time.

So on the exhaust. Was the standard exhaust then a two-into-one like is shown in one of my pics?

Thanks for the input.

Steve

stangfan

My C code GT/CS had the same single exhaust as is on your "gold" car. That was the first thing I changed. Had to have duals. :grin:

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Steve,

Cheers,

Ron

I agree Ron. Wish I could clarify when he (or his mother) did all of this. Unfortunately there are no friends or relatives left to ask them about it. Nates68 did have a conversation with the owner at a grocery store in carson city and did verify that the hood scoop was added by the dealer. I'd suspect that most of these changes were done at that same time.

So on the exhaust...was the standard exhaust then a two-into-one like is shown in one of my pics?

Thanks for the input.

Steve

di81977

I think you mentioned that it had a 9" rear. Wouldn't that indicate a GT and dual exhaust? Definitely get a Marti report.

OP
OP
F

Forsche

I think you mentioned that it had a 9" rear. Wouldn't that indicate a GT and dual exhaust? Definitely get a Marti report.

Thanks. I do have a marti report. It is not a GT but does have 3.0 Limited slip. guess I'll need to do some more research on the dual exhaust.

Steve

x-codegtcs

Thanks, I'll be sure to fill you in as we know more. Paul has the car running and he says it runs very well and quiet. They did cap off the dual exhaust and put a single exhaust. I'll replace that as I believe the J cars were all dual. Couple more pics...one of the 9 inch rear.

There a re a few small dents in the car. Not sure of I can get them all out with PDR. Will post those pics when I get them. Also some interior.

Steve

Lots of surprises on this car. Are you sure that it is a 9" rear end? It looks more like an 8" to me - the top and bottom of the pumpkin look too flat. Just curious as pictures can trick my old eyes.

robert campbell

Steve,
It is an 8 inch. Does the rear valance have the cutouts for the quad tip dual exhaust. It is doubtful that one would convert a dual back to single exhaust. But stranger things have happened!!

Rob

clubpro

Thanks. I do have a marti report. It is not a GT but does have 3.0 Limited slip. guess I'll need to do some more research on the dual exhaust.

Steve

Steve,

I've been looking at your photo of your exhaust and it looks to me like it is and "H" pipe with one side capped off. A single exhaust system would have a "Y" pipe. I am interested to hear what your mechanic says.

Cheers,

Ron

x-codegtcs

Steve,

I've been looking at your photo of your exhaust and it looks to me like it is and "H" pipe with one side capped off. A single exhaust system would have a "Y" pipe. I am interested to hear what your mechanic says.

Cheers,

Ron

+1 on the H pipe. Should be hangers on the LH side if it was a dual exhaust. Funny that they would go to all the trouble to add the extras and then go cheap on muffler replacement. Especially with $7mm stuffed in the couches...but maybe that's how they did it...

OP
OP
F

Forsche

+1 on the H pipe. Should be hangers on the LH side if it was a dual exhaust. Funny that they would go to all the trouble to add the extras and then go cheap on muffler replacement. Especially with $7mm stuffed in the couches...but maybe that's how they did it...

Thanks for all the input everyone! I wish the car was here so that I could check on all this myself. My friend Paul, who is getting the car back to running condition owns a very busy shop so I hesitate to bother him with all my questions like " check for the dual exhaust muffler hangers!". I may need to just wait until i get the car down to Atlanta to really go over it. I'm thinking the car did come with dual exhaust but that they later took the cheap route and capped it and put on a single muffler. The car is not a GT car but I believe that the 302, non-gt could be ordered with dual exhaust. Not sure if that would be specified on the Marti....it does not show up on mine.

I hope to have the car ready to ship by mid next week so within a couple of weeks will have it down here.

Thanks

franklinair

When you get the CS home in ATL, I'd love to come see it. I'm just north of you in Franklin, NC.

Neil

clubpro

Steve,

I would take Neil up on his offer asap. This great man knows more about the C.S. than just about anybody on this website having completely restored at least two of them. Just don't let him put any of your wheels and tires on for you or they might fall off during your first drive, lol.

Cheers,

Ron

stangfan

I looked at the exhaust picture a number of times, and it looked like a single exhaust. Sorry for any confusion I might have caused. :confused:

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Misc Door Jam and interior pics

Some additional pics that Paul took as they were getting the car running. I'm sure they ripped the rear seat out to look for gold!

Attachments

• IMG_2563.jpeg
    IMG_2563.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_8755.jpeg
    IMG_8755.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_8714.jpeg
    IMG_8714.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_8389-2.jpeg
    IMG_8389-2.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_9374-1.jpeg
    IMG_9374-1.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_6654.jpeg
    IMG_6654.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1409.jpeg
    IMG_1409.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2119.jpeg
    IMG_2119.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 61
OP
OP
F

Forsche

And a few more pics

Three areas where there are small dents. One one the right rear quarter, one at the leading edge of the hood and one on the forward part of the roof. I would think PDR will take care of the one on the quarter panel. No sure sure about the roof and hood. Ah well....

Attachments

• IMG_2591.jpeg
    IMG_2591.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_4086.jpeg
    IMG_4086.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5799-2.jpeg
    IMG_5799-2.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 64

nates68

Steve, They drove this car all the time,it should run good.? How many miles are on it? What dealership did they get it from? Your marti should show you this info.
Keep the stories comming.

Nate