CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 12/18/2012, 12:17 PM   #1
Maine gt/cs

My Garage
fog light switch

When I pull out the switch on the fog lights, within 5 seconds the switch gets so hot , you cannot touch it. The Lucas lights are dim when on. I have unplugged the switch so nothing major could happen. I bought a new switch from Tony Branda that is exactly like the old one. What am I looking at for a problem before I put the new switch on. Thanks for any help on this.

Tim

1968 J-Code, 4 Speed, Candy Apple Red
Scratch a dog and you will find a permanent job.
Maine gt/cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2012, 04:48 AM   #2
dalorzo_f
My Car Details

My Garage
Dim lights, hot switch, sounds like a short somewhere pulling current...
dalorzo_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2012, 06:23 AM   #3
Ruppstang

My Garage
+1 Marty

Follow HCS restoration at http://68hcs.weebly.com
Ruppstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2012, 09:04 AM   #4
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
Hopefully you have a digital voltmeter. I would measure the terminals on the switch side of the plug with the switch in the "On" position (out). If you have any resistance, the switch is bad and acting as a heater element. I suspect this is what you'll find, based on your description. If the switch is good, unplug each Lucas light and measure the resistance of them. Both should be about the same. If one is at or close to 0 ohms, the bulb or fixture is shorted. If both are the same, add the two resistance numbers together and divide by 2. Now plug the lights back in and measure from the harness side of the fog light switch plug to ground. Your reading should be close to the number you just came up with. A little higher is ok, because of resistance in the wire. A lot higher means your wire is probably broken somewhere. Lower means the wire is shorted to the metal body somewhere where the insulation is worn off.

Steve

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions