CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 12/02/2012, 04:40 PM   #1
ablesd

Red face Trunk Weatherstrip

Almost a year ago I had new weatherstripping installed. I assumed the one sold by Scott Drake for the standard 68 coupe would also work for the CA Special fiberglass trunk. However, after installing it, the trunk would not close without also installing a one-eighth inch shim on the latch. Of course, my trunk now has a very noticable gap. The installer thought this problem would correct itself after the rubber seal settled down, but it has not.

Did I use the wrong seal? Is there one specific to the CA Special? If so I would appreciate knowing where I could buy one. If there isn't one specific to the CA Special, is there a way to make this one work?

Thanks,
ablesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/2012, 04:51 PM   #2
Mosesatm

These threads may help.
http://californiaspecial.com/forums/...ead.php?t=8496
http://californiaspecial.com/forums/...ead.php?t=6265
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/2012, 06:26 PM   #3
Ruppstang

My Garage
There is certainly is a difference. I started with a Drake for a 67-68 Mustang and could not even get close to closing the trunk. I then tryed a Carpenter 67-68 Mustang seal. I got it to close but was not happy with the lid to end cap alinement. I took the car to a freind who rebuilds Shelbys. He said I needed to use a 68 Shelby convertible seal. He explained that you need a softer seal for the fiberglass deck lid. Mine fits perfectly now.
You can get them at Tony Branda. Good luck Marty

Follow HCS restoration at http://68hcs.weebly.com
Ruppstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/2012, 06:43 PM   #4
Mosesatm

Don't forget the foam tape!
http://californiaspecial.com/forums/...ead.php?t=8924
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Foam Tape 2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	15505   Click image for larger version

Name:	Foam Tape 3.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	15506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Foam Tape.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	15507  

Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/2012, 07:48 PM   #5
ablesd

Smile Trunk Weatherstripping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppstang View Post
There is certainly is a difference. I started with a Drake for a 67-68 Mustang and could not even get close to closing the trunk. I then tryed a Carpenter 67-68 Mustang seal. I got it to close but was not happy with the lid to end cap alinement. I took the car to a freind who rebuilds Shelbys. He said I needed to use a 68 Shelby convertible seal. He explained that you need a softer seal for the fiberglass deck lid. Mine fits perfectly now.
You can get them at Tony Branda. Good luck Marty
Thank you Marty. I checked the Tony Branda website and think I found what you reccomended, but there was not photo available, just this description: "1968-70 Shelby Convertible Trunk Lid Weatherstripping", cost $21.95. Is this the right one? Before placing my order I would appreciate your advice.
Thanks,
Doyle Ables:
ablesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/2012, 08:33 PM   #6
Ruppstang

My Garage
Yes that is the one. It is the same profile as the Mustang one but has more holes in it making it less dense. All so if you want to be concours correct use the yellow weather strip adhesive and the joint goes in the center rear.

Follow HCS restoration at http://68hcs.weebly.com
Ruppstang is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions