CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 11/20/2012, 12:02 AM   #1
bassman2

2-'68 CS / 1- '68 GT500 onitsway

My Garage
Overdue Project update

This forum has helped me more times than I can recall. Searching for info, seeing pictures, and getting inspiration. I'm over due for a project update and maybe someday, I'll be able to give back some of the help / advice that I've received here and on other vintage places.

I started my 68 C code project 3 years ago. As with all of my hobbies I rotate seasonally - so, It's been a lot slower than I originally expected.

I've got two 68 CS cars - and this one is the experimental car. It's not concourse and I'm going to drive it.

I had it on a rotisserie for over a year...
I finally got motivated and took it off the rotisserie and dropped the rebuilt engine in! I put the car on my lift and started slowing bolting stuff back on!

I replaced the entire suspension system. Installed a rebuilt 9" rear end. I did Power Brakes in the front, bigger drums in the back. I put in a Borgeson power steering system, An Ididit Column, and a shelby style wheel. I painted the exposed dash areas the correct interior Charcoal Black. Then I lined the inside of the cab with Eastwood dynamat knockoff liner.

In the last 2 weeks I've installed the new gas tank and hooked up all the various lines for for everything. I got the radiator installed, the transmission cooler in and lines run. I've cleaned and painted the wiper gears & motor, the washer pump mechanism, and the parking brake mechanism. If I have to re-use a nut or bolt, it gets scrubbed, painted etc...

And now I've got half of my Painless wiring kit installed / run

I feel like I'm making a lot of progress...even though I have to do most things twice to get them done right. My goal is to get the car mechanically drivable so I can take it to get the final bodywork and paint completed. I'm simply NOT going to do that part myself!
bassman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2012, 02:31 AM   #2
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
It's looking real good! Tell me about your rotisserie. Did you get it "locally"? I need one.

Steve

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2012, 05:29 AM   #3
somethingspecial

My Garage
That is looking AWSOM!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see the finished product. Keep up the great work.

Mike Jewell
GT/CS Registrar
mikej@bigbytes.com
If at first you don't succeed, Parachuting is not for you!!!!
somethingspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2012, 05:59 AM   #4
Ruppstang

My Garage
Looking good. If you keep this pace it will be done before you know it.

Follow HCS restoration at http://68hcs.weebly.com
Ruppstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2012, 10:52 AM   #5
bassman2

2-'68 CS / 1- '68 GT500 onitsway

My Garage
Thanks for the encouragement. I know I'm violating one of the tenants of collectable cars by not keeping things stock - I am though saving the stock parts for the future.

I ordered my rotisserie from these guys...http://www.accessiblesystems.com/bul/bul.php

I think mine is the 1500lb rated version. It's very stout and could probably handle much more.
bassman2 is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions