• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Restoration Costs

nfrntau

Wow Rhonda, you really het a nerve on this one. I think almost all couples have thier own way of dealing with this issue. Very seldom do couples inform each other of every single penny they spend. If ever, it just isn't feasible.
The big stuff is another story again and everybody has a different idea of what the big stuff is.
I'm single, I keep my bills paid, my Kids well fed and happy, my Fiance happy and still have a little left over for me and my toys.
Of course I do get the "your'e going to let me drive your Mustang, right?" question from my Finance every once in a while.
And you guessed it the answer keeps coming up No. lol
I'm knees and elbows into my restoration now, it just wouldn't do to quit and let all my work go down the drain.
Yep that's right, I keep telling myself it's an investment.
In my happiness!!

rvrtrash

OK Arlie (and anyone else interested), here's my numbers. Bear in mind that when I do a restoration, everything gets rebuilt, repaired or refinished. Every nut and bolt, literally, gets cleaned and repainted but I do a lot of my own work. Engine rebuild, higher perf. than stock, including everything in the engine compartment was $4428. Drivetrain rebuild was $1030. Suspension/Steering/Brakes/Tires was $2006. Interior restoration was $2547. Exterior (including body work due to a rear end collision, but not including what I wasted on the first fiberglass guy) was $7910. If you don't have collision damage, you can knock about $2K off that. Total if you're good with a wrench but are anal about details is about $18K. And yes, I told my girlfriend every dime I spent so that she knows if she ever takes the car for a drive and wrecks it, she should just put the keys on the seat, lock the doors and start walking.
Steve

Mustanglvr

Ok, ok, I just gotta keep you guys on your toes you know. ;) But remember, honesty is the best policy. :)
Rhonda

meadowsdk28

Now I know why it's taken me 10 years to get this on the road to completion!! After I saw this post I went out and took an "impromptu inventory" of what was on the shelves in my garage and was astounded. I guess when you by this stuff over a period of time it doesn't seem that expensive.
To address Mustanglvr's issues, for me it is a matter of give and take. I buy the car, she got a whole new house. I buy a new top end for the motor, she gets a bedroom makeover. I buy a new interior package, she gets a set of draperies for the living room with the high speed, custom built padded valance. I get a hump hugger console, she got a carpet cleaner (that I "get" to use). I send it out for paint, she gets a new living room set. Point is, I really don't know exactly how much she has invested in these purchases, let alone the average monthly bill from Walmart. She doesn't exactly know what my amount of spending for this car is running. Bottomline, they're both costly. She gets her enjoyment, I get mine. I have no doubt now why it's taking so long now.

390cs68rcode

[quote author=meadowsdk28 link=board=1;threadid=1467;start=15#msg8730 date=1111411603]
Now I know why it's taken me 10 years to get this on the road to completion!! After I saw this post I went out and took an "impromptu inventory" of what was on the shelves in my garage and was astounded. I guess when you by this stuff over a period of time it doesn't seem that expensive.
To address Mustanglvr's issues, for me it is a matter of give and take. I buy the car, she got a whole new house. I buy a new top end for the motor, she gets a bedroom makeover. I buy a new interior package, she gets a set of draperies for the living room with the high speed, custom built padded valance. I get a hump hugger console, she got a carpet cleaner (that I "get" to use). I send it out for paint, she gets a new living room set. Point is, I really don't know exactly how much she has invested in these purchases, let alone the average monthly bill from Walmart. She doesn't exactly know what my amount of spending for this car is running. Bottomline, they're both costly. She gets her enjoyment, I get mine. I have no doubt now why it's taking so long now.
[/quote]

I can relate. I won 18k in Vegas and bought a crate motor for my 66 and my wife got a set of hooters. ;D

390cs68rcode

[quote author=Mustanglvr link=board=1;threadid=1467;start=15#msg8732 date=1111413933]
;)I guess you win both ways in that situation JBSteven. LOL Rhonda
[/quote]

I was gonna say that. ;D

jk89cat

i havent got there with the mustang yet. but my galaxie, which is still undriveable i have clsoe to 10 k in with a frame off, new suspension, engine and tranny overhauled. and aquiring all needed body panels and misc parts . and it still needs paint, seat covers and chrome work. and of course nice wheels and tires . makes me glad i dont have a girlfreind /wife. justin

P

PNewitt

Boy, this thread sure took a left turn!

I can see Rhonda's thoughts about this. Every relationship has it's secrets for who buys what, and some are very open and close, and others are very deceptive.

I don't think it's fair for anyone to use money for "toys" for the car if things like food or medical or important things for kids are ignored by this kind of spending.

There is this "guy thing", which is part of that fraternal humor us guys do, and I can see how some women might see it as being sexist, which, I admit, can be at times.

It's a two-way street, tho', and it's each couple's choice how to deal with outside spending like this (and not necessairily for discussion here). If there is an argument to be made for spending "car money", it has to do with satisfaction of the hobby, and that type of happiness isn't always something that you can explain in simple (logical) terms, when it comes to justifying it.

Anyway--my two cents.

Paul N.

mmarsalone

[quote author=PNewitt link=board=1;threadid=1467;start=15#msg8749 date=1111444650]

I don't think it's fair for anyone to use money for "toys" for the car if things like food or medical or important things for kids are ignored by this kind of spending.

[/quote]

I've been begging my wife not to buy Easter candy for the kids this year so that I can use that money to buy Paul's first book the next time one shows up on Ebay.

Just kidding, my car purchases have to be self funded. Meaning I have to sell other toys to buy new ones.

Mustanglvr

Thank you Paul. Let me clarify,this reply is not just for you Paul. I feel that we have alot of young gentlemen and women that read the posts on this site. From what they are reading during your "tongue in cheek humor" moments, especially regarding women, I`m afraid they are going to misinterpret the messages that are coming across. I understand that "guys will be guys" but how would you feel if you had read the same posts had they been written by women regarding their husbands? Would you really be able to read through those posts without having to say something like I did? I know I am probably taking all this too seriously but if you read this whole topic from beginning to end you will see that you guys are the ones that turned this topic into "How to spend more on your car without the little wife knowing about it." I just happened to give my opinion. Maybe stuff like that should be kept in your personal messaging to each other. We are not all guys here you know. I would be more than happy for this topic to return back to what it was about, restoration costs, if you guys could keep it that way. ;DRhonda

P

PNewitt

I agree, Rhonda. Well put.

Yes, it's time to either get back to the topic at hand, or leave this one, and move on.

BTW--in 1988, i sold my first book for $12.95ea.

:'(

007bluto

So here's the tally on my car, so far

New stroke 347 motor $6400.00
Paxton SuperCharger $3400.00
Under hood goodies $1800.00
New Classic Air A/C $1200.00
New Suspension w/koni's $2000.00
New Rearend Posi $1200.00
New AOD Trans $2100.00
New Alum Driveline $350.00
Shelby 10 Spoke rims w/BFG's $2200.00
New Chrome/ Repolish $800.00
New paint w/ hood stripes $5000.00 (Not Scheib)
New Flow Master Exhaust $800.00
Trunk $100.00
New Interior $900.00
Shelby wood steering wheel $280.00
Custom Auto stereo w/Changer $800.00

So for close to $30,000.00 not counting the car you get a GT/CS that looks very original on the outside, a big time head turner, and also launches 460HP at the rearend. (oh yes, the kids college fund is still intact)..............Bluto ;D 8)

nfrntau

Here are my restoration costs to date.
I also have spreadsheets that have broken my stuff into two categories: the need and the wish list. The wish list will push this number up to about 27,000 and the need list puts me right around 20,000 which seems to be the magic number.
Bluto seems to have raised the average just a tad. lol
I admit it, I'm envious of all you guys who have completed your projects.

Books Referrence Material$61.74
Brake System$0.00
Car and Shipping$6,440.00
Documentation/Registration$189.00
Electrical System$243.80
Engine Compartment$41.98
Exhaust System$0.00
Exterior $308.85
Fuel System$108.90
Interior $114.22
Paint and Body$0.00
Rear End $0.00
Rust Removal$2,072.27
Supplies $169.19
Suspension$309.90
Tools $63.29
Trunk Area$29.70
Wheels and Tires$1,358.63

For a grand total so far of $11,511.47
I expect this number to change drastically by the time I'm finished. I expect to end up somewhere between the wish and need price when finished.

rvrtrash

Oh man, I want a Paxton too, but I have the small cc "F" heads and 10.0/1 compression. I think I goofed.
Steve