• The intent of this Restoration Reference forum is to provide a collection of technical, accurate details to help others in their restorations. These Reference Articles can include photos, descriptions, diagrams, part numbers, concours rules, etc.

PLEASE ONLY POST VARIFIED INFORMATION. This is a technical forum and the information needs to be as accurate as possible. Please don't post things you've heard second hand or think you remember reading somewhere.

You may reply to an Article, but only if it serves to give more information or clarify a detail in that Article. These should be a presentation of fact more than a discussion. Off-topic responses will be deleted or moved.

Thanks!
  • Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Shock Tower shock mount correct color?

gt/csj4

Ok, I have seen several examples of properly restored mustangs, but recently just saw a 68 J-code GT coupe that was a MCA gold trailered winner, and this particular cars mounts were painted natural. I have seen them also come low gloss or satin black. My 67's are done in natural but am always told (not by judges) that it is incorrect. So, which is it? I have had my Cal's mounts sandblasted and am awaiting to paint but it figured it was worth a shot to ask.

Cheers
Joe

franklinair

My MCA judging sheets, under "Engine Compartment", Item Y states, "Firewall and Inner Fender Panels: Painted semi-gloss black. Shock tower braces, semi gloss black. Shock tower caps, natural (San Jose are semi gloss black)."

Neil

somethingspecial

It is my understanding Assembly Plants play into what parts are painted or left natural. San Jose built cars had the Shock Mounts painted Semi Gloss Black. My Forte is San Jose cars, I don't even want to pretend to know much about Dearborn or New Jersey cars. Hope this helps. Jeff Speegle or Marty Rupp should chime in here for a definitive answer.

OP
OP
G

gt/csj4

See that is where I got confused, because this coupe was a San Jose car... and he was not deducted for his caps being natural...

Personally I like the look of them as natural anyway, but I also like it to be correct too haha

J_Speegle

See that is where I got confused, because this coupe was a San Jose car... and he was not deducted for his caps being natural...

Originally they would have been painted semigloss black- if they were not deducted for it at a MCA show the judge made a mistake. It's possible that the judge was more use to other cars and didn't check the door tag :(

Ruppstang

Welcome the world of concours judging. Three plants using different parts and making changes at different times. Lucky for most on this site all GT-CS and HCS were built at the San Jose plant. Marty

OP
OP
G

gt/csj4

Welcome the world of concours judging. Three plants using different parts and making changes at different times. Lucky for most on this site all GT-CS and HCS were built at the San Jose plant. Marty

Thanks Marty,

I painted the "caps" semi-gloss black cause there is too much evidence leading me to believe they should be.

See, I told you i'd pick your brain from time to time :wink: