• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Car randomly dies

robert campbell

Put the 3 screws back in the blower motor, put the T handle back on the shift, put driver seat back in.

Drove the car to work and to run errands after. (got up to 65 mph!)

Car ran the best it has ever run (because it was tuned)

Experimented with blower fan. And felt the yellow and black/grn stripe wires to ignition to see if they heat up

Ran fan on high with vent (no change in wire temp), ran on high with heater (felt a little warm). Ran AC (felt a little warm) (but not hot, I expect this is normal from what we talked about early in thread. current/resistance

Car gets angry when AC is turned on. At a stop, RPM lowers and sounds like it starts to miss. putting load on motor, but idle doesn't compensate. do I need a relay? what can I do to fix this (or just put in Neutral at stop lights)

Sheryl,
Is this the carb that I worked on? If it is, when I wet tested it, the GT/CS 390 car it was on did not have A/C. And I believe it was a 4 speed car. God information for me as I rebuild carbs and wet test them for people. An automatic car applies a better test of hot idle characteristics in drive. A manual car does not really test the carbs idle as well. Note to Rob.

Neil is right on about just stepping the hot curb idle up a bit. I always put automatic cars in neutral at long stop lights. The design of the shifter lets you shift in and out of neutral/drive without pushing the button on the T handle. Using neutral on hot days lets the engine run a bit faster at idle and releases the torque converter from the engine. This lets the engine cool a bit better and not build up heat. I even do this in stop and go traffic. It is just so easy to do and the benefits are awesome and there are no negatives to doing this "car" wise. I suppose you could forget and mash the throttle and go no where, but I doubt it!!

The faster you set the hot curb idle up, the more it "drags" on the torque converter. And going from park to reverse can result in a thud as it engages, so do not set the idle up to fast. You will get the feel as you experiment. But do use neutral when you can. It just makes sense.

Rob

OP
OP
Batgirl89

Batgirl89

Sheryl,
Is this the carb that I worked on? If it is, when I wet tested it, the GT/CS 390 car it was on did not have A/C. And I believe it was a 4 speed car. God information for me as I rebuild carbs and wet test them for people. An automatic car applies a better test of hot idle characteristics in drive. A manual car does not really test the carbs idle as well. Note to Rob.

Neil is right on about just stepping the hot curb idle up a bit. I always put automatic cars in neutral at long stop lights. The design of the shifter lets you shift in and out of neutral/drive without pushing the button on the T handle. Using neutral on hot days lets the engine run a bit faster at idle and releases the torque converter from the engine. This lets the engine cool a bit better and not build up heat. I even do this in stop and go traffic. It is just so easy to do and the benefits are awesome and there are no negatives to doing this "car" wise. I suppose you could forget and mash the throttle and go no where, but I doubt it!!

The faster you set the hot curb idle up, the more it "drags" on the torque converter. And going from park to reverse can result in a thud as it engages, so do not set the idle up to fast. You will get the feel as you experiment. But do use neutral when you can. It just makes sense.

Rob

Rob,
That makes so much sense. And Ive always liked how the mustangs just slide between N and D. Ok I will start making this a habit.

No, this is not the carb you did for me , that carb is for "GEM" the 390 GT/CS
Gem's motor is still at the rebuilders. And we need to do paint and body work.

This is a new Edelbrock carb on a 289. On "Jewel" this is the highly optioned C code we bought from Cool Manchu 2 yrs ago. The car was redone by him, just need paint and a headliner. but then I had this random car dying issue.
I wanted a car with AC. And its really a special car. Love at first sight for me.:grin:

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13114&highlight=Cool+Manchu

Today I turned the idle up 1/4 turn.
Was too much, the car was driving me:icon_lol:
Once I reached the post office parking lot, I turned it back an 1/8, was much better. Then ran the AC in park for 5 mins. Car ran well, good idle and no hot wires. I need to do more testing and driving, didn't have time, work got in the way.

OP
OP
Batgirl89

Batgirl89

Had these rims and tires in the barn. Once we address the paint, Ill figure out some rims and tires. But for now, the car doesn't look so whimpy, the original hubcaps just don't match the GT/CS theme

Attachments

• 9FAE9229-E95F-4867-BBFC-B2CEAF09348A.jpg
    9FAE9229-E95F-4867-BBFC-B2CEAF09348A.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 573D6F30-1F5F-4061-90E7-68A53D891497.jpg
    573D6F30-1F5F-4061-90E7-68A53D891497.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 46