• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 '68 radio installation question ...

OP
OP
GT/CS S Code

GT/CS S Code

Funny my eBay search last night didn't bring up the one listed on there? Just need the faceplate, not the rear bracket (thank goodness), but my they are very pricey aren't they? $165.00 to $225.00 for just the faceplate ... wow ... and nobody is making a reproduction of that part either ... just my luck ...
:sad:

dalorzo_f

Price reflects the rarity and lack of a repro. One year only part. As such, a low demand item and tooling and costs would be prohibitive, as casting a repro is a large investment in tooling, etc. Just the door goes for $50-70 as a repro.

The mounting bracket does come up from time to time, and can be found for ~$100 sometimes, the backplate is a hard to find one as few want to part it out from a whole console. You could try to find a whole (or near complete) damaged console, take the plate and try to resell the rest, but a hard way to go as few want scraps.

As the seller notes many are as yours, "modified" by a PO and now a useless item for restoration. You could offer it up on various Mustang sites for a swap to someone with a console who wants an after market radio that would fit, but that's a long shot.

Try Perogies or Branda, but I'd bet the price would be similar.

OP
OP
GT/CS S Code

GT/CS S Code

Well, you snooze you lose ... I was going to bite the bullet and buy the used bezel that was listed on eBay at $130.00 and of course someone else already bought it. The other used one is still on the WCCC site, but with shipping to Canada it would be over $200.00. I guess I'll poke around locally and pester a few of the Mustang and Ford enthusiasts in town and see if there is one to be had here, plus I put a watch on eBay for any more that might crop up for sale.
We had a car parts swap meet here today and my brother always takes a stall, so he took a few of my spare bits and pieces to try and sell for me. He sold my used Edelbrock Streetmaster 390 aluminum manifold for $150.00 which will help to pay PART of the cost for one of these elusive radio bezels!
:rolleyes:

68sunlitgold

Al,
Just keep an eye on ebay, I have seen the brackets go for under $25 and the back panels for around $75. Make sure you also look at 68 cougars, they came with both the same console as the Mustang but also came with a clock where the door compartment was (this panel will not work). I will keep my eye open for one for you.

Doug

OP
OP
GT/CS S Code

GT/CS S Code

Found one!

OK, I found one! I sent out a bunch of emails to various Canadian and US Mustang & Cougar parts breakers near and far and darned if I didn't get a response from a Canadian new and used parts supplier just over on the BC mainland! (We're over on Vancouver Island a short ferry ride away). He shipped it to me today and it was only $125.00 so I can live with that rather than wait for months watching eBay, etc.
Many thanks to all on the site for all of the advice and help! (As usual ...)
Al
:cool:

dalorzo_f

I have seen the brackets go for under $25 and the back panels for around $75.

I call this the "Jackson-Barrett" syndrome. When folks sell a car they use a BJ price "comp" as a guide. Conversely when buying parts they find the absolute lowest price on Ebay and it becomes the "comp"... :wink:

At $125 you did pretty good. Fair price for a hard to find part in good shape.

franklinair

Info for all:
I just did a B.I.N. on E-bay for a console radio bracket ($100 + shipping). I'll hold on to it in case anyone has a need.

Neil

x-codegtcs

Al,
I hope this helps. It shows all the parts #s plus it shows how the back of the radio connects to both the dash and the console sides.

Note: The radio backing (actually called 'Panel Assembly' part #7) shows C8ZB-65045B44, however if you look at the above panel the # states C8ZB-6504567, this is the # (6504567) on my panels and I don't know where the discrepancy comes from)

(once the image is open, click on it and it will open larger)

Doug

Doug,

I have seen this before in the consoles that I have bought and sold. The part number may be different because the top crossmember is missing. This is a factory cut that if you look at the place the top cross member would be, you will see the rough cut and the factory chromed finish. But what always gets me is if the part was rough cut by the factory, why a different part number. So it leads me to believe that it must have been a lost wax cast (or similar) and the original cast tool was cut prior to making the lost wax molds. I have always wondered why they were modified and wonder if it has to do with 8 tracks...never found an answer- but always wondered.

Bryce.