• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. Triple "B's" Garage

Ruppstang

Nice work Rob! It is nice to see some T code being restored that nicely.
It is too bad we all live so far apart I would love to come spend some time in your garages with you.
Marty

hatchdog

Nice looking car. That vinyl top looks fantastic with the red body and black hood treatment. Is it a 3 speed or auto? For some strange reason I would like to have a T code with a three speed for a daily driver in the non winter months. Back to the basics I guess.:rolleyes::grin:

rvrtrash

If it wasn't all original, I'd say it needed a Thunderbird Super Coupe supercharged V-6 and 5 speed. :grin:

Steve

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Steve,
That would be a hoot for sure. My brother owns a 92 S/C Bird that we have put a larger blower, long tube headers and 2.5 exhaust. bigger injectors and blah blah blah. It is a 5 speed with 3.23 gears. It is a rocket ship of a V6.

But it is about as wide as a 390 motor!! With all the stuff it would be a chore to get in for sure.

Now a brand new 2.0 Eco Boost 4 shooter in-line would fit awesome!!!

Rob

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

1968 Cougar GT-E 427 W Code

Check it out. This car limped into my garage two days ago needing a lot of love. Fresh out of the Mecum auction. I now know why they push the cars over the auction podium. They run like crap! This is one of the rarest Cougars you can buy. Powered by a 427 coupled to an automatic. Lots of work to get it in driving condition.

Rob

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

All,
The below link to the Classic Cougar Community site will be very interesting to some of you. How a car can be mislabeled and years of rumors and posts can discredit it. Owners who would not let people look at it and owners who did not do the due diligence before it was purchased and did not know who to turn to later.

It shows the level of detail one needs to perform to ensure the car is the real deal. This car had a door and matching VIN tag in the dash, and a Marti report to verify it. Prior owners had said that the engine compartment numbers did not match the dash VIN, but they did. Years ago it had been altered with options that did not match the Marti and the red flags were raised and the car was labeled as a re-body or a fake.

A few Cougar site members were judging it from their computer screen. A few bashing a car that was not verified by a person with the skill and knowledge coupled to an owner who would allow it to be inspected. To end the debate once and for all.

Follow the thread and the pictures of how this car was finally removed of its re-bodied status. It also will increase your knowledge on how to verify authenticity of a classic Ford. Always remember as a member of a classic car site you are assumed to be an expert on the car. Comments made can sour a sale. We tread a fine line between helping people understand if the car is real or fake, but always be careful.

Rob

https://classiccougarcommunity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=9361

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Been very busy lately. I got to bring the below car back to life. It needed the intake reset, fuel system restored and the owner wanted his factory tach and
back up lights to work. The engine is not original to the car and is an ex race motor with a nasty solid lifter cam. 4 speed car and gets with it nicely!

Nice car but it still needs a lot of love. I hope to start the 1968 427 Cougar GTE soon. The owner procured the original vin stamped 427 for the car. How often does that happen!! I will do the swap and try my hands at a factory look restoration of the engine compartment. These cars all had smog pumps and oh boy I get to figure that sucker out!!

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Working on the 427 powered Cougar GTE. Old engine is out and the VIN numbers matching side oiler 427 is back from the machine shop and ready to assemble. Need to go back a couple pages if you want the whole story of this rare car. It was very interesting. These cars with numbers match engines and nice restorations move at $150k and more.

Proportioning valve and distribution block is rebuilt along with the steering box. Have chased all the threaded holes in the block and heads. I like perfect holes for proper torque of these major components. Takes a lot of time, but is worth it! Automatic is out being rebuilt and I will start assembly of the engine next week. These engines are so tight that I remove and install without the tranny on them. That way you can assemble most of the engine on the engine stand. To include the spark plugs and the exhaust manifolds. This car will also have a complete air pump smog system on it. Oh joy!!

Rob

Just before pressure washing of the engine compartment. Dreary NW day!

Wonder if it had a proportioning valve leak.....

A bit better now!!

Side oiler gallery on the side of the block. Screw in freeze plugs. Notice the bolt heads for the cross bolt main caps.

Cross bolted main caps that make the 427 the best of the best

Identification cast number in the lifter valley.

Back of the engine block cast number

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

427 is nearing complete assembly. Still need to figure out the Thermactor system and the PCV plumbing. I have gread pics of what to do, so now I need to see if I have all the proper parts.

Rob

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Marty,
As a MCA judge, what is correct on a 390/428 engine in 1968 for paint on the lower heads bolts? Painted or not? Also the exposed edges of the block surface that the heads and head gaskets do not cover?

Rob

Ruppstang

The engine was assembled then painted, so the bolts and gaskets were painted.
Even the exhaust was installed so the edges had some paint.
I'll se if I can find a picture.
Marty

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

More progress on the 1968 Cougar GTE 427. Smog and PCV should look familiar to 390 owners that still have it on their engines! Engine and Tranny are in the car now and the bottom side buttoned up. Hope to start it this weekend or early next week.

Rob