• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Replace a 1V with a 2V

robert campbell

I just rebuilt one today and put it on a 200 in a 1964 Falcon Ranchero. Your flat spot is the leak on your driver side accelerator pump or a dizzy porblem. The housing that is screwed on is warped from over tightening. You need to flattened it back out and screw it on less tightly. You can flattened it by setting it on a steel flat surface and use a flat punch on each of the four sides in the middle between the screws. There is also a finite adjustment for the passenger side diaphragm that is depended on a properly adjusted carb at hot idle that has the throttle in the full closed position.

The 1100 is a fine carb. Send it to me and I will bench it on this car or the 1968 I just finished last Spring! The one I just finished today is great. not a hint of an flat spot. Also your vacuum advance diaphragm on your dizzy can cause a flat spot if it is ruptured and non-operational.

Get that car to my garage!!

Rob

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

The accelerator pump cover was badly warped. I flattened it the best I could and also lowered the float. It's no longer leaking. If I can't get rid of the flat spot I'll ship it to you.

Ruppstang

If you can find one of the 1100s that Pony Carbs reproduced Jon engineered them with the annular discharge. It gave them 15-20 more HP. NPD sold them.

robert campbell

The accelerator pump cover was badly warped. I flattened it the best I could and also lowered the float. It's no longer leaking. If I can't get rid of the flat spot I'll ship it to you.

I had one that the accelerator pump discharge hole was plugged. Even after a chemical bath and a thorough blow down with compressed air. I had to get one of my teeny tiny screw and poke it in the hole which is no easy task.

Does it squirt gas when you open the throttle? If not it creates a huge flat spot.

Rob

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

I’ll check later today. That could be one reason the damn thing won’t start after a few days without priming it. I’m tempted to drill a hole in the air cleaner as a priming port!!!

robert campbell

That is exactly why you need to prime it. You get that orifice open and you will love your little six shooter! You should see and obvious squirt of gas into the venturi when you open the throttle. It must have one heck of a flat spot!!

The top of the carb comes off very easily with the choke removed. Be careful and not turn the body of the carb upside down. There are 3 check balls and one weight that will fall out!

Rob

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

I tore apart the carb and found that the check weight was over the wrong ball. And of course it was over the accelerator pump ball. After moving the weight to the proper spot I took the car out for another spin. It's better, but since I've never owned a 200 I don't know how much hesitation is normal, if any.

I'm going to let it sit overnight and see if it will start in the morning. If it doesn't it's coming off the car and heading west to Rob.

The carb was recently rebuilt before I bought it because it is nearly spotless, just not correctly reassembled.

robert campbell

Not a surprise on the improper assembly. Can you see a shot of fuel go down the throat when you pump it with the engine off? If not the nozzle is plugged.

After we determine this, we need to check your vacuum advance diaphragm to see if it holds a vacuum and moves the advance plate. We will also advance it a bit more by setting the advance higher by advance the initial advance.

It should not hesitate one bit!!

Rob

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Yes, there seems to be. Not a ton like I'd expect in a 2V.
Putting it back together I did this.
<sigh>
Oh well, it's only 8 screws.

Attachments

• IMG_0563-1000.jpg
    IMG_0563-1000.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Rob,
Which hole are you talking about?
All the holes in the housing and in the throttle body seem to be clear.

The vacuum advance works but there is no vacuum to the advance. For some reason the port isn't working. I increased the timing and switched vacuum ports. Most of the hesitation is gone. Later today I'll unscrew the nipple to see if it's plugged.

Attachments

• 90E54242-A91F-43E4-98F9-3BED9F1CA48D.jpg
    90E54242-A91F-43E4-98F9-3BED9F1CA48D.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

robert campbell

Arlie,
I am talking about what you might call a "squirter" in a two or 4 barrel carb. The hole that the gas exits into the venturi. If you saw a small amount of gas entering the venturi when you open the throttle plates then it is most likely not plugged.

The vacuum port will not have any vacuum present at hot idle at 700 or so rpm. When you open the throttle it should then have vacuum present. The same as any Ford carb of that era. It is what the call "ported" vacuum that has no vacuum at hot idle and then comes in when you open the throttle.

Rob

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

There is no vacuum at idle or when I open the throttle.

robert campbell

Arlie.
Try to blow through the port. Sounds awful, but if you can put a nipple on it to blow with your mouth you can tell best. If it does not blow through then get out the carb cleaner and some compressed air.

We need vacuum at this port when the throttle plate opens. you may need to take the carb back off and turn it upside down. It is supported by a small slot or hole near the spot where the throttle butterfly closes against the throat of the carb. You can also fight a compressed air nozzle near this orifice to blow it out. It is not the orifice that the idle mixture screw is in.

Rob

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

{sigh}
The gasket covers the holes. It looks the kit maker didn’t understand or didn’t care that ‘68s differ from the previous years.

After thinking about that a little more I realized the gasket is correct

Attachments

• 9AFAEFD5-52D2-49D8-BD7F-FC87B54186BB.jpg
    9AFAEFD5-52D2-49D8-BD7F-FC87B54186BB.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Upside down, inside out, backwards, something. Never trust former owners.

robert campbell

Arlie,
It was painful, but I think you FOUND IT!!!! I am always very careful in disassembly by chance it had the correct gasket and installed correctly. At the same time this assumes that the prior rebuilder did it correct…… Some carb kits cover many years and contain many versions of gaskets in them. Especially true when rebuilding a 2100 Autolite.

I bet the hesitation disappears after this!!!

Rob