• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Possibly time to sell Walter

Forsche

Well Sara and I are planning for retirement and just purchased a home in Mexico. Will likely be moving down there within 6-9 months. As a result we have a few cars to consider selling to lighten the load.

Mant of you are aware of the California Special that we bought from the original owner. The "Seven Million Dollar" California Special. This car was owned from new by Walter and his mother. They lived a reclusive life in Carson City Nevada for many years. When Walter died they found him in his home. He had no close kin and when the county clerk was cleaning our the house to sell they found $7M in gold coins hidden in the house. You can read about Walter and his mustang if you google things like "Walter Samaszko Gold Horde".

The car is well loved but original. We love survivors and loved how "period" and vintage this car was. We have left it exactly as Walter had it with torn vinyl driver seat, fading pinstripes, etc. But the car is beautifully original and has a wonderful history (by the way we purchased two of the gold coins to keep with Walter)

Wanted to let people on this site know of our intent, first. Neil came to visit and saw the car so can speak to it's condition.

I need some help in pricing the car. Would appreciate any input you can provide.

Steve

franklinair

I certainly do remember seeing your CS- with the modified rear brake cooling ducting from the functional side scoops! The car is a picture of originality & survivorship.
I would assume the brake cooling modification was dealer installed, but verified?
When you list it for sale, be sure to highlight the provenance of the car.

Neil

OP
OP
F

Forsche

I certainly do remember seeing your CS- with the modified rear brake cooling ducting from the functional side scoops! The car is a picture of originality & survivorship.
I would assume the brake cooling modification was dealer installed, but verified?
When you list it for sale, be sure to highlight the provenance of the car.

Neil

Thanks Neil. Hope life is treating you well. Yes there are some interesting aspects of the car including the functional brake ducts and the day2 (dealer?) installed functional hood scoop. Also a j-code car. Want the car to go to someone who would prefer to keep it in it's current state.

Its a wonderful car. And yes, I will do a more formal and detailed write-up when I have time. Will likely list it on Ebay or Bring a Trailer if I do not sell before I get around to that.