CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 05/03/2018, 07:38 AM   #1
hatchdog

20-50w oil?

Iím getting ready to do my spring oil change and am considering changing the oil weight. Somewhere in these great pages of info I read a post from Rob (RobertCampbell) where he suggested using a 20-50w oil. Robís reasoning was that since our cars are not daily drivers and generally when we drive them itís for a lengthy drive using 10-30w was not necessary. Also the heavier oil helps keep pressure up.

I am unable to find the post I originally read and would like to confirm this info before I buy some oil. I plan to use Valvoline racing oil with zinc in either weight.

Thanks,
Mike
hatchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/03/2018, 08:14 AM   #2
limelyt

Mike

I've been using 5w-30 in the Calspec for the last 13 years and normally put 1200 miles a season and have had no issues. I guess it depends on how tight the engine it.

Gary (LIMELYT)
limelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/03/2018, 09:10 AM   #3
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Mike,
Oil types and brands will generate about a much discussion as the election of a president for our country!

You are correct in what I said. Our cars are now toys and not subjected to the rigors of daily driving in cold weather. In my experience with older engines with miles on them, is that they run higher oil pressure with a 20/50 oil as opposed to 10/30 or 10/40 that was the norm back in the day. And the extra viscosity is a bit better on small oil leaks that develop over the years. I also have always used Castrol in my engines. But that is me. Newly rebuilt motors leak less and have higher oil pressure and will work just fine on the 10/30 or 10/40 blend.

I totally recommend a zinc additive for flat tappet cams.

https://zddplus.com/

Not sure about running 5/30 in our motors. That viscosity oil is meant for much newer engines than ours. But, I am no expert.

Clean oil changed once a year in our toy cars is the best guard against wear.

Gosh, now let's jump into the world of synthetic oils!! We need to make sure that the Russians do not tamper with the internet and post fake news on this subject!!

And if you decide to race your car more than just drive it, we will have another discussion.

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/03/2018, 09:27 AM   #4
Mosesatm

One problem with 20-50 is that it takes longer to pump through the engine when it's cold, potentially increasing wear on cold starts.

This getting older ain't for cowards. - John Mellencamp
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/03/2018, 10:13 AM   #5
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
I agree for the amount of cold starts a daily driven motor was subjected to back in the day sitting outside in the elements.

Our cars are toys and they sit in garages and lead a pampered life compared to back then. And some of our garages even have heat in them.

These cars are started cold a fraction of the time of back in the day. And not driven one mile and shut off and then cold started again and again and again.

I feel the difference between 10 weight oil and 20 weight to be very negligible.

Let the discussion begin!!! This will be fun!
Old 05/03/2018, 10:19 AM   #6
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
I would suggest 20/50 viscosity oil with the zinc additive.
(Mike's engine is a fresh overhaul (with a new oil pump) and will run 30-40 PSI oil pressure.)

Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0169.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	22305  
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/03/2018, 10:35 AM   #7
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Dad,
I sent you an e-mail about your spare 4300. Have you seen it?

Son
Old 05/03/2018, 12:44 PM   #8
mbsf1970

Dream car: '68 GTCS Pres Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinair View Post
I would suggest 20/50 viscosity oil with the zinc additive.
(Mike's engine is a fresh overhaul (with a new oil pump) and will run 30-40 PSI oil pressure.)

Neil

Neil,

Will Doug now take 10/30 or do I stick with something thicker??

Stephen
mbsf1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/03/2018, 03:38 PM   #9
Mosesatm

This is what I recommend. Lots of zinc.
https://www.valvoline.com/our-produc...cing-motor-oil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RACING-SYNTH-VR1-OIL.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	22308  

This getting older ain't for cowards. - John Mellencamp
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/03/2018, 04:52 PM   #10
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
Way back when, I ran Valvoline 20/50 racing oil in my Mach 1 exclusively. Of course, I raced the car both on and off the track and treated the speed limit with utter contempt. I never had an issue. Newer cars are built to much tighter tolerances, with lower oil pressure and lighter oils to get better fuel economy. Heavier oils will take longer to circulate through the engine when it's cold, but like has been mentioned, not many of us are putting ski racks on the roofs of our 50 year old cars and heading to the mountain in the dead of winter. If you push the car hard, or the engine is a little tired, I say no problem with 20/50. If you just cruise and have a fresh rebuild, 10/30 will do just fine. Personal opinion worth approximately what you paid for it.

Steve

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/03/2018, 06:32 PM   #11
p51
My Car Details

Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosesatm View Post
This is what I recommend. Lots of zinc.
https://www.valvoline.com/our-produc...cing-motor-oil
That's what I use as well.

I thought this was an interesting thread from vintage-mustang on oils w/zinc (mainly Mobil1 vs VR1)

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...-15w-50-a.html

The world stands aside to let anyone pass who knows where he is going.
p51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/03/2018, 07:00 PM   #12
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrtrash View Post
Way back when, I ran Valvoline 20/50 racing oil in my Mach 1 exclusively. Of course, I raced the car both on and off the track and treated the speed limit with utter contempt. I never had an issue. Newer cars are built to much tighter tolerances, with lower oil pressure and lighter oils to get better fuel economy. Heavier oils will take longer to circulate through the engine when it's cold, but like has been mentioned, not many of us are putting ski racks on the roofs of our 50 year old cars and heading to the mountain in the dead of winter. If you push the car hard, or the engine is a little tired, I say no problem with 20/50. If you just cruise and have a fresh rebuild, 10/30 will do just fine. Personal opinion worth approximately what you paid for it.

Steve
Perfectly said brother!!

Rob
Old 05/03/2018, 08:01 PM   #13
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
I agree. 10/30 in a fresh engine (Mike & Stephen) will be fine. You can buy the zinc additive for $5+/-.

Neil
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2018, 07:19 AM   #14
hatchdog

Great dialog all, thanks for giving you thoughts.

Being as my motor is fresh and I drive like an old lady I think I will stick with 10w-30. I have been using Valvoline VR-1 High Zinc racing oil and the conversation on the links provided concerning the quantity of zinc in VR-1 is interesting. Looks like I need to do more research.

I do have two 3 hour cruises in my near future, low speed circle of the downtowns of Coeur D’alene and Sandpoint Idaho. Kinda like back in the day of cruising downtown Spokane. I think I am more concerned about overheating (never had a problem to date) than I am of oil consumption.

Thanks again, great reading!

Mike

http://www.sandpoint.com/pdf-documen...mi%20Flyer.pdf

http://coeurdalene.org/cda-events/car-dlane/
hatchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/10/2018, 03:11 PM   #15
mbsf1970

Dream car: '68 GTCS Pres Blue

The M1 15/50 synthetic seems to be getting rave reviews from real world driving....something to consider. Based on link to thread
Stephen
mbsf1970 is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions