• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Smog on a GT/CS??????

wallace

Hi,

Wondering if a 1968 GT/CS with a DSO of 71 would have come with smog from the factory?

I've been looking at Gallery pics and haven't seen one with Smog on the engine? Maybe I'm not looking closely but wouldn't all California DSO cars have come with Smog/TE equipment?

Let me know,

Thanks, Wallace
wallaceandkaren@yahoo.com

somethingspecial

Yes, they came with smog, DSO 71, Thats L.A. CA. if I'm not mistaken, (I don't have my books in front of me), and any CA. car would have had smog. Remember these cars are 38 years old, and one of the first thing a lot of people did was remove the smog equipment, Especially if it left CA. The smog tubes would burn/rust out, and create more problems, and it was cheaper to just discard the smog crap instead of fixing it. More HP without it anyways. Hope this helps. Mike

mmarsalone

I think it was determined that only the manual transmission cars came from the factory with smog equipment. If I'm wrong, someone will correct me.

BroadwayBlue

I think you're right Mike.

My car was DSO 75 (Phoenix) and still has the smog equipment on it.

Attached is a pic I found that the previous owner had sent me.
I don't have all my pics on this PC but this should work.

Attachments

• Copy of IM000523.JPG
    Copy of IM000523.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

J_Speegle

wallace said:
Hi, Wondering if a 1968 GT/CS with a DSO of 71 would have come with smog from the factory?

All Mustangs built in for Us delivery had smog in 68 but do not think that smog always meant a Thermactor system

wallace said:
I've been looking at Gallery pics and haven't seen one with Smog on the engine? Maybe I'm not looking closely but wouldn't all California DSO cars have come with Smog/TE equipment?

In 68 if the V8 car was order with a manual transmission or was a 390 4V or 428CJ it got a Thermactor system. All engines came with the IMCO system no matter the size