• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Would you trade your 1968 GT/CS for a Fastback of same year?

hookedtrout

[quote author=n.id.steve link=board=1;threadid=1160;start=15#msg6459 date=1100163703]
Hey Hook, some of us here ain't so pretty and needed help in the impress the girls department, hence the souped up cars. ;D
Steve
[/quote]

I can accept that just as long as you don't want to race me if you cruise south or I make it up north.

Cheers

Hook

1fb1gtcs

It would be hard for me to accept a trade for a fastback because then I would have two fb's and no special! I like this question because it deals with my two favorite cars, except I prefer and have a '67 fb. I guess a tougher question would be if I had to part with one which would it be? I think the fb is more universally liked, but the gt/cs has a little more of a story behind it and it probably appeals to more of the die-hard ford crowd. What really amazes me is that when I drive my fb around people still stop and ask if it is a shelby, even with no special taillights or scoops or any such things. No one has ever asked if the special was a shelby though.....hmm interesting. So I guess I would have to keep the fastback, I know I know sounds like a real rookie but what's cooler than driving around lookin' like Mcqueen in San Francisco?! Just my opinion and is debatable.

68gt390

1fb1gtcs; Everythime I take my CS to a show here in Ohio everybody thinks it's a Shelby. All they see is the back tail section and right away assume. Guess that's what happens when your not from the West Coast. I was born and raised in Calif and saw these cars when they first came out. I've been in love with the CS all my life and was finally able to get one. Cost me a lot more than it would have in 68 but, what the heck. I now have one. I've had 9 different mustangs including a 1967 Shelby GT500 (Lost in a divorce) and a 1970 Mach I 428 CJ Ram Air car which I bought upon my return from Vietnam and I still prefer the CS to both those cars even though they are worth more today. I think the history of the GT/CS is much more interesting.

Don 8)

1fb1gtcs

Well I guess folks from california are kind of different! We know shelbys are from fastbacks but the back of a gt/cs doesn't inspire questions! I guess it's just the hardtop body lines that lose people. Personally I love gt/cs cars for their uniqueness and everyone's lack of knowledge about them. For me though the 67-68 fb's have just always been the coolest, especially from bullitt. However the car that I got to make my little copy of frank's car is a '67 and originally a 6 cyl at that! It's a v8 conversion car and is almost ready for it's highland green paint job. Now my special is factory highland green, and is a factory 4-speed car, but it is a 289 car. With manual steering and drum brakes with that stiff clutch-the first time driving it was a real workout! But in some ways it is more like bullitt's car than my fastback, because of it's real options. So anyway I've been learning a lot about what mustangs were and keeping them original has kind of taken on a new meaning for me. I doubt I'll bring my fb back to stock, even with gas at it's current price and I really just don't like the clearwater aqua color that it was originally. So I say I'll modify it but only with actual ford options so it can at least pass for original just looking at it. But the special is already special, so it's going to get the "just about all original" job done to it! Well I hope I didn't wander too far off the real topic, but hey I'm new here so I get to mess up a little!

68gt390

1fb1gtcs: Are we making a "CLONE" car. If I read what you said above that's what I'm assuming. Those of us from California may be kinda different but, not all Shelbys were "FASTBACKS". They also made a convertible. As for your comment about the rear of the GT/CS not inspiring questions, wrong answer. Even growing up in Calif when these cars came out, many of us thought the car was a Shelby. I'm always asked questions about mine. I've been asked how I got the idea to clone a shelby or how I came up with the idea to customize a mustang that way. But, you are right on the uniqueness about the GT/CS. Look at the picture I've posted below and tell me a GT/CS could not be made to look like a Shelby very easly. That's were Ford missed the boat, they should have made a convertible GT/CS. Anyhow, welcome to the site and happy posting and reading. There is a wealth of knowledge from all who post and read these pages.

Don ;D

Attachments

• DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 22

1fb1gtcs

You got me on that one, there were convertable shelbys. I know the rear of a gt/cs closely resembles a shelby, I was only saying I hadn't been asked about that yet. Guess I've got some work to do on my listening skills! Well the "clone" car idea is actually for my fastback to resemble the bullitt car. It won't be exact so I guess it should be called more of a "basement laboratory clone" car! The gt/cs is a real one and I want to keep that one as original as I can. I hope I didn't offend anyone with the remark about californians, heck I am one so I didn't mean to imply anything derogatory there. It just seems that a lot of people associate mustang fastbacks with shelbys, even ones that are as plain as they come. That's probably true just about everywhere though, so I guess it's not fair to put that on my fellow california folks! My apologies all. Now as for that ragtop in the photo, would any of you trade your beloved gt/cs for that one?! I would, and I'd throw in the fastback too! Any takers out there?

deestix

Two comments:
First, to answer the lead question, the only fastback for which I would trade my '68 GT/CS would be a Shelby fastback, either GT350 or GT500. But it's unlikely someone would trade me even up! I wouldn't / couldn't throw any money at such a trade.
Second: as I have put over 3,000 miles driving and riding in a friend's Sunbeam Tiger, I am certain that the Tiger has always been referred to as "the poor man's COBRA", due to the similarity of taking a small 2-seat British sports car, and dropping a Ford V8 into it. Our GT/CS's are more appropriately called "the poor man's SHELBY (Mustang)", due to their similar appearance.

rvrtrash

Hey Hook, we definately need to meet up sometime, and we don't even have to race. I go white water rafting in Riggins every 4th of July weekend and there is always room in my raft for one or two more.
Steve

hookedtrout

[quote author=n.id.steve link=board=1;threadid=1160;start=15#msg6523 date=1100406056]
Hey Hook, we definately need to meet up sometime, and we don't even have to race. I go white water rafting in Riggins every 4th of July weekend and there is always room in my raft for one or two more.
Steve
[/quote]

How funny, I white water raft the Lochsa with Three Rivers every year, or I did. Haven't been the last two years but we are in the planning stages for this year. We usually go near the end of May first of June during high water.

Hook

rvrtrash

Marty and his crew at Three Rivers are great people. I went with them in the middle of May until I bought my own raft. Now we primarily do the warm water floats. We did a week on the Salmon from White Bird to Heller Bar this year and a week in Hell's Canyon last year. If you still do the Lochsa, and you don't mind company, I might join you or the offer for July 4th is still open. The stretch of the Salmon by Riggins isn't as exciting but your feet stay warm and you don't have to wear a wet suit.
Steve

hookedtrout

[quote author=n.id.steve link=board=1;threadid=1160;start=15#msg6543 date=1100502454]
Marty and his crew at Three Rivers are great people. I went with them in the middle of May until I bought my own raft. Now we primarily do the warm water floats. We did a week on the Salmon from White Bird to Heller Bar this year and a week in Hell's Canyon last year. If you still do the Lochsa, and you don't mind company, I might join you or the offer for July 4th is still open. The stretch of the Salmon by Riggins isn't as exciting but your feet stay warm and you don't have to wear a wet suit.
Steve
[/quote]

They are a great bunch, ever meet his brother the clown? Professional clown.

I'll email you private so we don't hijack this thread anymore than we have and we'll get to planning, be awesome if we could GT/CS into the lodge, maybe in a few years but I've got some work before mine will make the trip.

Hook