• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 GT/CS project car advice needed

classicsguy

There is a 1968 GT/CS project car available that I believe the owner's asking price is too high: Here is the description:

Is a genuine GT/CS and originally a T code 6 cil car.

car has no engine or transmission is just a roller

It has all the GT/CS fiberglass and components except for wrong fog lights

Car has been media blasted and its solid and minor sheetmetal repairs made like driver side floorpan replaced and doors were patched in lower corners but according to owner all sheetmetal original.

The car has a bench seat but not original to car. Has all glass

Maybe MOSESATM can post pictures here of the blue GT/CS in Nashville.

OWNER IS ASKING $7,200.00

The car was converted to 5 lug wheels

Do you believe that asking price is too high?

Mosesatm

There is a 1968 GT/CS project car available that I believe the owner's asking price is too high: Here is the description:

Is a genuine GT/CS and originally a T code 6 cil car.

car has no engine or transmission is just a roller

It has all the GT/CS fiberglass and components except for wrong fog lights

Car has been media blasted and its solid and minor sheetmetal repairs made like driver side floorpan replaced and doors were patched in lower corners but according to owner all sheetmetal original.

The car has a bench seat but not original to car. Has all glass

Maybe MOSESATM can post pictures here of the blue GT/CS in Nashville.

OWNER IS ASKING $7,200.00

The car was converted to 5 lug wheels

Do you believe that asking price is too high?

Here you go

Attachments

• Nashville 1.jpg
    Nashville 1.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Nashville 2.jpg
    Nashville 2.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Nashville 3.jpg
    Nashville 3.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Nashville 4.jpg
    Nashville 4.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 47

franklinair

Ah, it took a few minutes for my memory bank to spool up. Wasn't this the one we discussed early March? (vintageracer, Hollywood,TN) As I recall, it looked like a GOOD candidate for restoration. A 'T' code 6 cyl C/S is a rare bird, and if it were me, I'd keep it that way (MHO). Sight unseen, $7K seems OK with everything there (except eng & trans) and in good condition. If I were 10 years younger, I'd grab that baby, rotisserie it, and have a rare configuration model. I once did a '68 coupe, 6 cyl, A/T, A/C & P/S. It didn't smoke the rear tires, but was a sweet ride. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Neil

clubpro

Remember,

I can get you all of the misc. parts that you need for the restoration at cost + 10% + the shipping charges.

The offer goes to all of the GT/CS owners on this site.

Cheers,

Ron

rvrtrash

The first thing I'd want to look at is the quality of the metal repairs. I've seen some truly ugly patch jobs, and it can run some cash to cut it out and redo it correctly. Second, I'd offer about $5K and see what he says. If you do most of the work yourself, and replace/rebuild everything, you're going to drop another $15-$20K on it. If you have it all done, double that. As always, it's cheaper to buy one already done, but if you restore it yourself, you know exactly what you're getting, and it's done the way you want.

Steve

OP
OP
C

classicsguy

Ah, it took a few minutes for my memory bank to spool up. Wasn't this the one we discussed early March? (vintageracer, Hollywood,TN) As I recall, it looked like a GOOD candidate for restoration. A 'T' code 6 cyl C/S is a rare bird, and if it were me, I'd keep it that way (MHO). Sight unseen, $7K seems OK with everything there (except eng & trans) and in good condition. If I were 10 years younger, I'd grab that baby, rotisserie it, and have a rare configuration model. I once did a '68 coupe, 6 cyl, A/T, A/C & P/S. It didn't smoke the rear tires, but was a sweet ride. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Neil

If purchased I definetly will keep ita 6 cil although not a big fan of the 6 cyl but given the fact that its a GT/CS and they only made less than 50 I think will keep it original. It has a nice color combo: Acapulco Blue and parchment interior... owner will send me more pictures in weekend

franklinair

Steve's right about cost if you have it done by a shop. The only job I ever sent out was the painting. I could do lacquer OK, but todays paint & process is different. But if you can do the work yourself (which to me was the beauty of the hobby), I would think you could bring it together for $5K to $7K plus painting.

Neil Hoppe

OP
OP
C

classicsguy

The first thing I'd want to look at is the quality of the metal repairs. I've seen some truly ugly patch jobs, and it can run some cash to cut it out and redo it correctly. Second, I'd offer about $5K and see what he says. If you do most of the work yourself, and replace/rebuild everything, you're going to drop another $15-$20K on it. If you have it all done, double that. As always, it's cheaper to buy one already done, but if you restore it yourself, you know exactly what you're getting, and it's done the way you want.

Steve

Thanks Steve!! Actually 5k is what I have in mind to offer and still thinking. A Craigslist add that Donna posted for a J-code GT/CS that I was second in line to make an offer sold to the first person that went for 6K and it had the engine and transmission but was sitting for over 20 years...

Midnight Special

... I once did a '68 coupe, 6 cyl, A/T, A/C & P/S. It didn't smoke the rear tires, but was a sweet ride......

Neil

Neil, why would someone order all of those options on a 6 cyl car? It just seems like too much of the limited HP would be lost to driving belts and torque converter before getting to the rear wheels. I mean.... Would that person have also requested a "tow package" if available??

'Jesskiddin' ;-) uh... sorta'

PFSlim

Everyone here knows how bad of shape our car was when we purchased it. Then the work began to replace metal, sandblast, etc. We payed slightly less than that for the original car, however, we were told the guy had all the parts to rebuild.

Long story short, he had some parts, but they were in bad shape as well. In the end, we easily had over 25K just in parts. Plus paint. And, we did most all the work ourselves with the exception of the final coat of paint and clearcoat.

You can easily get 30-33K in the car very quickly and more if you are restoring back to original or concourse correct.

Paul

franklinair

WELLLL,
That's why they make chocolate & vanilla ice cream!! (Different strokes for different folks) I bought the car that I had from the original owner (a nurse) about 1985. It was ragged & rusted. Candyapple Red, red interior. Engine had a rod knock, exhaust manifold cracked (a common problem on the 6 bangers). I took it back to the original configuration throughout. I sold the car to a guy that was looking for a car for his 16 year old son. I told him it was just what he needed for a youngster - it looked sporty, and he sure wouldn't kill himself in it, and it had all the creature comforts. I had also called the nurse to see if she would like to see her old car. She almost fainted! "My gosh, that's exactly how it looked when I first drove it home." It was a really nice car, just a little anemic in the HP department. But you know, some folks aren't looking for earth shaking power. IMO, this 6 cyl C/S is a rarity worth keeping in its original status.

Neil

P.S.
I've seen Pauls photos of what they had to overcome in their restoration. IMO, they deserve the Medal of Honor & an Academy Award for valor & talent!!

rvrtrash

I remember back in the '70's (I guess I'm a LOT older than Arlie :wink: ) there was a drag racer that had a 300 six in his car. He cut and welded two 351C heads together to make a 6 cyl head and was pretty competitive. Recently Mustangs and Fords did a series of articles on building 6's that I think included supercharging. Put the two ideas together and you'd have a killer 6.

Steve

PFSlim

Many thanks there Neil.

By the way, I forgot one other thing. I competed against a guy at a car show here in KC. The guy drove down here from Lincoln, NE. He had a great car, freshly restored, 6 cylinder 1968 Mustang Coup. Not GT. Not GT/CS. Just a regular coup. He said he had over 50K in his restoration, as I remember it.

Paul

franklinair

At $50K, I would imagine it was a professional/commercial restoration. I've always done 90%+ of all work myself in my garage/workshop so I always considered myself fortunate enough to have a hobby that paid for itself. Of course if you calculated a labor charge for your work, it would have been a losing proposition!! But on a hobby basis, I never lost $$ on any Mustang that I bought, restored, & sold. The labor was a labor of love because I just enjoyed doing what I did. As I've said before, I found it to be therapeutic. I became so engrossed in the project, the rest of the world just disappeared! After my wife passed away in 1993 my Mustang projects became a lifesaver for me, and fortunately I had a friend at the time that kept me working on various Mustang projects. Sometimes he was a pain in the a_ _, but a good friend that kept me going through some tough times. I guess that's why I like to encourage people in this hobby, whether they are mechanically able to do the work themselves or are financially able to have it done. Either way, you can't lose. Enough of my soapbox. Hope the car & deal works out for this rare model.

Neil

PFSlim

Nicely put Neil. I remember the same thing in doing our restoration. In that, there was nothing else I could think about. That is not good when you are trying to maintain a job and raise a young family. Then, the relief of completing the restoration so you could think about something else!!

I have just entered that mode in my cobra build, which is why I continue to visit this forum and take my GT/CS to car shows so I can think about something else. I hope it works this time!!

Paul

6t8-390gt

I see the car has the Shelby 10 spokes, that means the car has been upgraded to the 5 lug suspension. If true, it is easier and cheaper to drop a small block in it. If not you can add the cost of changing the suspension back.

I would also take a look at the repairs, like someone else said I've seen some pretty poor work in the past.

Danny

robert campbell

I built a 67 coupe"sorta" clone of a GT/CS. Not to fool anyone. It had the spoiler and the side scoops. Stripes. 69 Mach I hood scoop and a front air dam. I put a 1970 250 cu in 6 cyclinder in it. Backed it up with a Wide Ratio 2.78 first gear toploader four speed. Left it 4 lug.

There was nothing anemic about this car!! The 250 has a lot of torque and most 6 bangers had 3 speed standards behind them. Give them a 4 speed and they wake right up.

A 250 cu in looks so close to the 200 or 170 that no one should notice. They carry the starter lower on the bellhouse.

Way cool car and fun project.

Rob