• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1966-67 HCS Restoration Questions

mustanggirl

Now that I finally got my 66 HCS home it is time to decide how to restore it. I want of get some opinions on what I should do. Since this is a special car, should I make it 100% stock or modify it? :confused: Right now I am thinking about keeping everything that can be identified though the VIN or door tag original and doing some upgrades on the rest. Please let me know what you have done to your cars and ideas for restoring mine.:rolleyes:

J_Speegle

In my opinion you don't buy a special car then hot rod it. It likely cost you more than a non - HCS right and you bought it because it was so why make it into something else. I've found that the more you modify the specials the more often people will assume its a clone/fake.

Save that (modifications) for the 1 of a million sort of Mustang.

hicountrybob

In my opinion you don't buy a special car then hot rod it. It likely cost you more than a non - HCS right and you bought it because it was so why make it into something else. I've found that the more you modify the specials the more often people will assume its a clone/fake.

Save that (modifications) for the 1 of a million sort of Mustang.

RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HIGH COUNTRY BOB here

rvrtrash

I restored mine to 98% stock, with just a couple of "period correct" engine/tranny mods that don't show or can be replaced with original in an afternoon. I would have done 100% stock but can't seem to live without that smile that comes when I hear the exhaust bark. I'm expecting to start acting my age someday---just not today. :grin:

Steve

Midnight Special

...I would agree more with Jeff & Bob in this case, because the value of the difference lies completely in your cars heritage. Without knowing the upgrades you're thinking of, all I can say is the world (and car shows) are full of hopped up 65 & 66's that are mostly a "blur" to me anymore... I have YET to see a real 66 HCS and I would be more attracted and curious. You have the opportunity few others have to stand tall in the crowd IMO.

hicountrybob

...I would agree more with Jeff & Bob in this case, because the value of the difference lies completely in your cars heritage. Without knowing the upgrades you're thinking of, all I can say is the world (and car shows) are full of hopped up 65 & 66's that are mostly a "blur" to me anymore... I have YET to see a real 66 HCS and I would be more attracted and curious. You have the opportunity few others have to stand tall in the crowd IMO.

Oh, so well said, Tim! Believe me, so few of these '66's are around and the color of yours is so "odd" even to seasoned Mustang tire kickers, that you will slow down many looky loos as you show your car. Get on it and I'll see you two at Steamboat in June (Fathers Day weekend) and in Seattle July 15-18. Keep in touch, Bob Teets here. PS, I only have one '66 badge left and it is a driver side one. Sorry.

classicsguy

Congratulations on your purchase! Who will be restoring the car? Yourself or a restoration shop?

franklinair

If it were my car, I see a great opportunity to restore it back to it's original condition- including the original color. It's a rare model deserving restoration to that configuration. The only 'mods' I put on mine must be correct for the year & model, otherwise you detract from it's uniquity. My 2 cents worth!

Neil

OP
OP
M

mustanggirl

Congratulations on your purchase! Who will be restoring the car? Yourself or a restoration shop?

We are planning to do most of the mechanical work ourselves and have help with the body work form a shop here in Grand Junction, Co. But we are open to suggestions.

We have noticed that on the door tag the DSO code is a 6 digit number instead of the normal 2 digits. We have read that this is because the HCS were special order, but do all 66 HCS have the same DSO code or they unique to each car?

Last edited:

robert campbell

Can you post the DSO number. I am interested in any and all 6 digit codes.

I think you can make some tasteful mods that will enhance you driving experience without hot rodding it. I nice dual exhaust system would give you some sound. I think that the trumpet tips through the rear valance is one of the nicest looking exhaust treatments on any car! Certainly it would make it closer to a GT car, but easy to tell it is not. The paint and interior should remain stock.

Is it a two-tone interior? What is the exterior color again? Sorry I missed that.

Matching hump hugger console is great for carrying your coffee. Certainly a nice stereo would be great. Two items that a lot of people consider are disc brakes and a shoulder restraint system for safety. They have some very nice options for that if you feel the need. If you desire this, think about it from the start of the restoration.

The one mod that can really enhance your car if you go long distance is a newer automatic overdrive transmission (AOD). Is it an automatic? No one knows that the AOD is in there and can make freeway driving such a pleasure and reduce gas consumption a bit. But if your car has 2.79 rear end gears, it will cruise just fine.

I think a pivotal decision that can be done anytime is the tire and wheels. Stock or something more. If you go stock, then leave the car at the stock ride height. But if you choose to go aftermarket then you may want to plan from the beginning. A slightly lower stance makes all the difference IMO, but must be planned to not rub anywhere. Your choice here will kinda set the tone for the car. Stock or tasteful modified.

Now remember, I am the butcher king!! Modified all the way!! So take me as a non-stock guy! But I think you can personalize and enhance it without it being a hot rod.

Your rolling stock in my mind sets the tone for the rest of the car.

Rob

OP
OP
M

mustanggirl

Here is what we know about the car from the VIN and Door tag

1966 Coupe
289 2v V8

Body/65A: 2 door hard top, standard interior
Color: HCS Columbine blue (not on tag of course)
Trim/22: Light blue crinkle vinyl and blue rosette vinyl, standard interior
Date/15G: July 15 ,1966
DSO/51: Denver (Door tag reads 510246)
Axle/6: 2:80:1 Conventional
Trans/6: C4 Automatic

What are your thoughts about changing to electronic ignition? I am thinking about a Flame Thrower coil and ignitor.

Mosesatm

I hate to keep bringing this up but how you build the car depends on how you use it.

When you say you want to show it are you talking about judged MCA shows or local anything-goes shows?

If you use it mainly for shows I don't see a real benefit to electronic ignition and the extra wire required may cost you points at an MCA show.

franklinair

Pertronics solid state & coil gives you worry free ignition while still looking stock. The Pertronics coil can be painted black, and by carefully masking the top it can be painted there to look like the old 'mustard top' coil. (John Deere yellow aerosol is a GOOD match)

Last edited:

robert campbell

My friend had a rare color 1965 GT Fastback. It was a light blue color with a two tone blue interior. I LOVE that combination. It is so beautiful when new!!! I would stay with those colors!

Arlie has a great point. Concurs or just for fun. If you go the concurs route you can get sucked up into a world of trailer queens if you want to really compete.

I for one like to drive them! So does Arlie. He was just making a point. That is another pivotal decision for you to make.

C4 and 2.79 gears will be a nice freeway cruiser. No need to change that!

Stay away from me!!! I will have a blower on it in minute! Just kidding. But a good starting plan that you keep to will make all of this alot easier.

Rob

OP
OP
M

mustanggirl

We definitely are not going to go for the "Trailer Queen" approach. We just want to do a good enough job to be in the running for top car at some local and maybe some regional shows. We do plan on driving the car, each month the mustang club in our area hosts a cruise which could be up to 100 miles length. We want to make a great looking car that is reliable enough to cruise.

At this point we plan to keep all items that can be found on the VIN or door tag original, but are looking for suggestions for any upgrades that will not detract from the "special intentions" of the car. We know that most of the 66 HCS were not GTs but would it hurt to change to dual exhaust or disc brakes?

Last edited:

robert campbell

No way! If this was my car I would do the complete GT dual exhaust with the GT valance and GT exhaust trumpets! Power disc brakes are a nice upgrade for safety and stopping power. The Pertronix electronic ignition is a nice stealth upgrade. I ran one for years and years. You must buy their coil. It is a matched set.

None of this would detrack from the car IMO. But a big decision is what tires and wheels and what stance. Stock would look good and the couple of upgrades, are just that upgrades. Then keep the engine compartment stock.

My car, a lower stance and a nice aftermarket wheel and tire combination. And then you might want to add a Cobra dress up kit for the engine. But that is me.

Anyway you cut it you have a distinctive rare car with a beautiful color and interior combination. You can't miss!!!

Rob

Mosesatm

No way! If this was my car I would do the complete GT dual exhaust with the GT valance and GT exhaust trumpets! Power disc brakes are a nice upgrade for safety and stopping power. The Pertronix electronic ignition is a nice stealth upgrade. I ran one for years and years. You must buy their coil. It is a matched set.

None of this would detrack from the car IMO. But a big decision is what tires and wheels and what stance. Stock would look good and the couple of upgrades, are just that upgrades. Then keep the engine compartment stock.

My car, a lower stance and a nice aftermarket wheel and tire combination. And then you might want to add a Cobra dress up kit for the engine. But that is me.

Anyway you cut it you have a distinctive rare car with a beautiful color and interior combination. You can't miss!!!

Rob

Agreed.

If you're not worried about MCA points then go for it. IMO You won't devalue the car much, if at all, by adding bolt-on stuff. In fact, you may increase the value with tasteful add-ons such as wider wheels & tires, disc brakes, a monte carlo bar, an export brace, an engine dress-up kit, a dual exhaust system, an aluminum intake, a 4V carb, etc.

Hmmmm, I guess now is not a good time to mention Corvette door handles.:icon_dead

robert campbell

Arlies friend "in front of you" did one of the most tasteful set of stripes over the top of his GT/CS that I have ever seen. Stock? No! Looks great, big THUMBS up!

Make it how you like it! Make it fun! Most of the bolt on stuff is reversable. Have not seen many people go back though! Have fun! Its easy to go back if you have to. But why??

Rob