• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Console Removal

Mosesatm

Trying to remove the factory console without breaking it. Have removed the four screws holding it to the floor, and the two screws on the sides under the dash. The radio is out so as far as I know the console should come out, but it it seems to still be held to the floor near the shifter. What am I missing, or am I just being a wuss?

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Do these screws go into the floor?

Attachments

• DSCN1924 (1000x750).jpg
    DSCN1924 (1000x750).jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 48

Ruppstang

Take those out they go in to the shift plate. I thought the pad came off. I remembered the screws under the ash tray.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Ah ha, the pad does come off. The seat belt recesses were hanging up on the base; I had to push the pad forward, then up & back.

I also remembered that I needed to purchase a shifter bezel. Bought a '69 because it more-or-less fits over the console shifter knobby things.

Attachments

• DSC00850-1000.jpg
    DSC00850-1000.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 26

Ruppstang

Ah ha, the pad does come off. The seat belt recesses were hanging up on the base; I had to push the pad forward, then up & back.

I also remembered that I needed to purchase a shifter bezel. Bought a '69 because it more-or-less fits over the console shifter knobby things.

It looks like you will have to replace the carpet because of the large hole cut for the console. The carpet looks original so please do not through it out.
It may have been easer to get the cup holders that fit in the seat belt pockets in the original console?
You may end up replacing the shifter to the non console one.
Marty

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

One of the things I like about the Cruiser Console is that it covers everything around the shifter. There is a bit of a color change issue under the dash but I'm OK with that.

I am a little worried that this car may really have only 65,000 miles on it, meaning it may still have it's original timing chain. There's a project I wasn't expecting.

Attachments

• DSC00865-1000.jpg
    DSC00865-1000.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 28

Ruppstang

That looks real nice!
I hated to take the 289 engine apart since it was original but I knew it had that plastic timing chain gear. That one will leave you on the side of the road. So I replaced it.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
...I knew it had that plastic timing chain gear. That one will leave you on the side of the road. So I replaced it.
Ditto. My 72 Bronco lost all oil pressure way out in the desert during a camping trip. Got it towed home and found the oil pump rod twisted and snapped in two. Pieces of plastic coating from the timing gear had fallen off and got sucked up into the oil pump and jammed it.