• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Swapping a C code to dual exhaust

dalorzo_f

As I have a spare dual exhaust setup from one of my S codes was thinking of just using it on the C code (stock engine configuration).

Not a huge benefit to go to dual exhaust, but thinking if all it takes is an H pipe go that route as it saves a ton of $ over a totally new setup. As I already have the resonators, transverse muffler, hangers w/attaching hardware for rear seat area, clamps and tips?.

Does the C code have the same configuration as the A code? And is all that would be require is an H pipe to suit a dual exhaust 289?

6t8-390gt

The exhaust manifold on the C-Code (289) and J-Code (302) are the same; so the H pipe is all that is needed. At the rear of the car you would have to use turn downs unless your were planning on changing the rear valance for the quad tips.

Danny

stangfan

I have put dual exhaust on my C code. You don't have to use turn downs if you don't want to. My shop did a beautiful job of putting the tips just under the valance and tucked right up. :cool:

I did not want to use the GT valance on my car, as I didn't want to give the impression that I was trying to fake a GT. :wink:

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Thanks for confirming, I keep forgetting A codes were dropped in 68 for the J. I have turn downs so just need the H pipe.

Steve, did you notice any differences after putting on the duals, other than note? Did you go OEM style transverse setup?

sam

quad tips look awesome with the correct valance.............just my thought

stangfan

I didn't go transverse. I had my local muffler shop do me a full dual setup with Walker Dynomax Ultraflow mufflers and a Walker H-pipe. I did notice that the engine ran better and a little more peppy.

I agree that the GT valance and quad tips look great. For me though, a nice pair of slash tips tucked tight to the valance works. :cool: