• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Well, I just bought the "7 million in gold and 1 GT/CS" car

CougarCJ

Call Dave at Precision Exhaust 860-617-0556

www.precisionexhaust.com

He manufactures factory looking exhaust systems from the cast iron exhaust manifolds to the rear tips. Quality stuff, patterned after original dual exhaust systems. They also sell the "H" pipes as a stand alone product for every engine. They recently produced dual and single exhaust systems for 1967-73 Mercury Cougars. Very reasonably priced, and ships in 3 sections that can be clamped or welded together.

di81977

Radial T/A's are good and inexpensive, but I like Cooper Tires. Made in America. 215x70x14 is pretty common, slightly more aggressive than stock. I also prefer black side out!

I also would not go any bigger than 2 1/2" on the exhaust with a stock engine. Maybe even smaller, save some money.

Hope the transport goes smoothly.

David

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Radial T/A's are good and inexpensive, but I like Cooper Tires. Made in America. 215x70x14 is pretty common, slightly more aggressive than stock. I also prefer black side out!

I also would not go any bigger than 2 1/2" on the exhaust with a stock engine. Maybe even smaller, save some money.

Hope the transport goes smoothly.

David

Thanks for the additional info. I'll check those tires out also.

Have to say that I was disappointed with Reliable. I just called them and spoke with a Ralph who just had a poor attitude. I wanted to ask about trying to schedule delivery within a certain window (week) if possible and he basically said no way. It wasn't so much what he said but the attitude. Clearly seemed like he did not want to be working. I'm a pretty easy going guy but when someone does't show good service and attitude, I get turned off real quickly. Have used Horseless carriage, DAS and Intercity before. Wanted to try Reliable but looks like I'll be looking elsewhere. Disappointing.

stangfan

I just checked...I got the 2" exhaust pipes, not 2 1/2". Sorry for the confusion. I looked at my invoice and saw 2.5 and just figured that was the size. Looked again and realized that was the labour time. :icon_lol:

OP
OP
F

Forsche

GT/CS delivered today

Took delivery this evening. Only had an hour before dark so really have not had the chance to look it over much yet. Runs great so far though. Drove it about 10 miles. Initial impression...the car is much more "worn" than I expected. However, its a 45 year old car and considering it is mostly original, Im pleased. I'd much rather know what I'm dealing with than have the worn areas and warts covered up. So far body looks very solid. Minor dings here and there. I can get some of them taken out via PDR but there are couple that will not be able to be fixed. Some parts of the car may have been painted but if so it was a long time ago. Will check that out more....some of the paint also appears to be original.

Underside also looks very clean and solid upon first inspection. Interior is very worn but all original. Need to decide if I'm going to just leave it this way and drive it as an original. I'm thinking we may do this for now.

I'm intrigued with the hood scoop and brake vents. The vents are in fact active. I need to take a closer look and will take some pics but 1) they were done a long time ago and 2) it does't look like an amateur job. My guess is maybe done at the dealer when the hood scoop was done when the car was new.

Some additional oddities like a Wards radio and someone painted the valve covers the body color. They look horrible but look as if they were done years ago and I just may leave them that way for now. More info and pics as I get some time to take a closer look. Fun stuff....

Steve

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Good to hear that it is finally home. Please keep us posted on progress.

Thanks, I will. Will take post a few pics in the next couple of days. Now is when I start revealing how little I know about these cars!!

I have a j-code. Can someone tell me what intake manifold and carb came stock on i?. I've got an Edelbrock manifold and a Holley 4B carb. Guessing these may not be original.

Plan is to keep the car much like it is today. No plans for a restoration. I did put a flow
master dual exhaust system on it since the old system was trashed and I could not justify a restoration quality exhaust system. Also will put a new set of tires on this week.

Spent a few hours this weekend cleaning it up good news is that that is about all it needs. Its a well worn but very presentable and extremely solid car. My wife loves her new GT/CS. It has done a few grocery store runs already. She even loves the Flowmasters!

OP
OP
F

Forsche

IT's official - in the Registry

Just completed the registration for our GT/CS. It's in my wife Sara's name because its now her car. She loves it and has taken it out several times in the few days we have had it. She's a car nut also. Will send a pic of her and her new GT/CS as soon as I have the chance to take a good one.

There is a huge car event the first sunday of each month here in Atlanta called Caffeine and Octane. On a good sunday 700-1,000 cars can show up. Sara is amped about taking her new mustang to the April Caffeine and Octane.

Our plan is to change only what we have to. So far:
  • New BFG TA's
  • New Flowmaster Dual Exhaust
  • New Radiator (but kept the old one so we can have it remanufactured)
  • Replaced rear wheel cylinders and rear brake lines
  • Changed all fluids and replaced valve, timing, oil pan, and trans filter gaskets
  • Replaced all belts
  • New Plugs and wires as well as battery cables
  • Rebuilt carb
  • Converted to electronic ignition
  • New timing chain set
  • New TMI drivers seat upholstery

That should do us for now!

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Quick Update - Walter's gold

Hopefully the link works.

Two of the pics are a couple of gold coins that we purchased from Walter's gold hoard. We thought it would be fun to have them as part of the unique history of this car. Tried to get a 1968 coin but the closest we could find so far is the 1967 coin.

Also attaching some early pics of the car before we started cleaning. It looks pretty rough since I made the mistake of shipping open carrier in the winter! My mechanic took these to send to me as I had not even seen the car at this point.

When we finally get the cleaning up done will post so "after" pics.

Steve

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o9xz7vy22b3gfuy/9ZtSe_90V1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ztm3ir85dlmdbw/photo-54.JPG

Last edited:

68sunlitgold

Steve,
great idea on the coins....you will always have that part of the story to tell about the car and be able to show part of it too (both car and coin). Looking forward to seeing the 'after' pictures.

I noticed the rather large kick-panel speakers...do they get in the way?

Doug

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Steve,
great idea on the coins....you will always have that part of the story to tell about the car and be able to show part of it too (both car and coin). Looking forward to seeing the 'after' pictures.

I noticed the rather large kick-panel speakers...do they get in the way?

Doug

Thanks Doug. As far as the speakers are concerned, I don't like them and thought about removing them, but decided to leave them for now since it was part of Walter's car. I thought they might get in the way also but they really don't.

Was working on the underside of the car today. Made some progress but have a long way to go. Will definitely post pics as we get it cleaned up.

Steve

OP
OP
F

Forsche

It's been quite a while! Thought, I'd update on a few things with "Walter". As some of you know from the story above, we have had Walter for about five years now. My wife Sara loves the car and claims she'll never sell. The car runs beautifully and we have had zero issues since we bought it. Sara drives it minimally maybe 700-800 miles a year.

About three years ago a writer stopped by and talked with us while we were at Caffeine and Octane, a huge Cars and Coffee monthly event here in Atlanta. He was intrigued with the story of Walter and wanted to pitch it with some of the enthusiast magazines. Long story short, we never heard anything more until recently. Sara got a call that the writer was going to pitch the story again. Well, Mustang Monthly now seems to want to run the story. We're shooting some photos tomorrow for the article. Fun stuff.

And if that were not enough, we received an email today from a local company that supplies cars for movies. They are shooting a Neil Armstrong movie, "First Man" in early December and want to rent Walter! For all we know it could be just street scenes with 60's and 70's cars but could be fun if Walter makes it into the movie.

Will let you know more as we hear more about Walter's celebrity status.

Steve and Sara.

Ruppstang

Hi Steve it is good to hear from you. That is exciting news. You will have to keep us up to date on what happens with Walter.
Marty