• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Trailer Hitch

Mosesatm

Giving away (hopefully) the trailer hitch off of my GT/CS.

If anyone wants it just let me know. I'll send it to you and you can just reimburse me for the shipping, or you can pick it up.

It bolts onto the rear bumper and the floor of the trunk.

I'll post pictures shortly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=3;threadid=2186;start=0#msg14861 date=1128196803]

If anyone wants it just let me know. I'll send it to you and you can just reimburse me for the shipping, or you can pick it up.

[/quote]

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=3;threadid=2186;start=0#msg14862 date=1128197969]
[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=3;threadid=2186;start=0#msg14861 date=1128196803]

I'll post pictures shortly.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Last edited:

mikegtcs1968

A hitch isn't advisable for early mustangs. If you want to tow something, use a truck. There is no structual piece on the rear end that is capable of bearing any stress whatsoever. It appears that this hitches vertical weight bearing puts all the stress on your thin sheet metal right behind the gas tank. The horizontal force is placed on your tailight panel supports through your bumper. These supports are welded to your rear frame rails. Any significant amount of force or or torsional disturbance can snap these welds, resulting in a damaged mustang along with an out of control trailer. A best case senario could be the bumper would only tweak the oreintation of the supports along with the floors and quarter panels, resulting in ill-aligned end caps and decklid as evident on this guys car(lowers the value of the car significantly). Better sell this for scrap than ruin a mustang.

Mustanglvr

I agree, not to mention I think they`re illegal. Any modern hitch would be connected to the frame of the vehicle.

68MustangHCS

[quote author=Mustanglvr link=board=3;threadid=2186;start=0#msg14894 date=1128294168]
I agree, not to mention I think they`re illegal. Any modern hitch would be connected to the frame of the vehicle.
[/quote]
I probably wouldn't tow anything more than a riding lawn mower with that hitch.

hookedtrout

[quote author=68MustangHCS link=board=3;threadid=2186;start=0#msg14896 date=1128295492]
[quote author=Mustanglvr link=board=3;threadid=2186;start=0#msg14894 date=1128294168]
[/quote]
I probably wouldn't tow anything more than a riding lawn mower with that hitch.
[/quote]

I don't know my drift boat would sure look good pulled behind my CS, problem is the places I go with the boat wouldn't be good on the car. :(

Hook

390cs68rcode

I saw a mustang hour long show on TLC or Discovery channel and saw this guy pulling a 12-14 foot long trailer with his 66 convertible mustang. He said he came all the way down from Canada with it. I guess it CAN be done and I assume he had something strong welded in place.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

[quote author=mikegtcs1968 link=board=3;threadid=2186;start=0#msg14893 date=1128293583]
A hitch isn't advisable for early mustangs. If you want to tow something, use a truck. There is no structual piece on the rear end that is capable of bearing any stress whatsoever. It appears that this hitches(sic) vertical weight bearing puts all the stress on your thin sheet metal right behind the gas tank. The horizontal force is placed on your tailight panel supports through your bumper. These supports are welded to your rear frame rails. Any significant amount of force or or torsional disturbance can snap these welds, resulting in a damaged mustang along with an out of control trailer. A best case senario could be the bumper would only tweak the oreintation of the supports along with the floors and quarter panels, resulting in ill-aligned end caps and decklid as evident on this guys(sic) car(lowers the value of the car significantly). Better sell this for scrap than ruin a mustang.
[/quote]

Oh, I'm sorry Mike. Did you say something? I wasn't paying attention.

Mustanglvr

The hitch looks like a home made job and if I were you Moses, I would just give it up for scrap. It might save someones life if you do.

mikegtcs1968

It and it's design appear as a definite death trap for someone ignorant enough to install it on their car. If you do give it away or sell it, you best have a document drawn up by a qualified attorney (not yourself: you wouldn't want a cock up) that excuses you from any liabilites.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

[quote author=mikegtcs1968 link=board=3;threadid=2186;start=0#msg14922 date=1128318622]
It and it's design appear as a definite death trap for someone ignorant enough to install it on their car. If you do give it away or sell it, you best have a document drawn up by a qualified attorney (not yourself: you wouldn't want a cock up) that excuses you from any liabilites.
[/quote]

Now there's some good advice. Spend $400 to have a lawyer write a hold harmless to give away a worthless trailer hitch. Might as well do that. Can't think of any better way to spend that kind of money. Your superior common sense shines through again.

I think I'll take Rhonda's advice. Actually, I'll probably put it on the curb on trash day. Someone will take it.

mikegtcs1968

Just giving some standard advice that doesn't only benefit you, but others on the forum that might have a situation in the future that resembles this one. Better spend $400 dollars on a contract if you are determined to do things a "certain" way instead of having a certain law suit on your hands in the future. I'm glad you have come to see the light and have decided to do the right thing. My hat is off to you, Moses! ;D

murf104

Is there a Ford script located anywhere on the hitch assy.? I can see something stamped near where the ball is mounted but cannot read it on my screen. Thanks, Murf

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Sorry, Murf, I'm on the road this week and won't be back until Thursday night. I'll check it then and let you know.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

It says, "Valley" then "Do not exceed 2000 pounds". Guess I won't need the disclaimer since the rating is right on the hitch. It's going on the curb tomorrow morning anyway.