• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

California Special verses the Shelby

68gt390

Steve;
I can relate to the "Talledaga". While in high school we lived only a few miles fron Riverside International Raceway. We used to attend a lot of the races there. The sad part of it all is they tore the raceway down and built a mall in it's place back around 1987 or 88. What a waste. :rolleyes:

Don

rvrtrash

I bet they're wishing they'd left the track in place now, since Nascar is so big and a lot of malls seem to be hurting for tenants.
Steve

Diesel Donna

Don...You just wouldn't believe that area now...called Moreno Valley and a gazillion homes out there now and retail places. The mall never did that well either, but it's still there. I lived in Corona for 20 years, and also 'trucked' past the raceway a lot. It was a sad day when they tore it down.
The Ontario Speedway was another racetrack that went the way of a huge oval shaped mall....that's about all that's left as a reminder of a great racetrack is the oval shape.

68gt390

Donna;
I retired out at March AFB in 1990 and went to work for the Riverside County Sheriff's Department. We provided police services for Moreno Valley. I left the Department in 1992 and moved back here to Ohio. It was like living on a giant ant hill. I know they closed March AFB shortly after that. I still have some friends that live there and they hate it. I haven't been back since I left in 92 and have no desire to go back (even for a visit). I figured after being raised in that area and graduating from high school there, that was the last place I ever wanted to be stationed but, the Air Force felt it appropriate to move me there for my last 5 years. :mad:

Don

Diesel Donna

Don~

Ooooohhhhh yeah you wouldn't want to come back anymore...the traffic in MoVal is just AWFUL. My niece bought a house there a couple of years ago..but then she's still young:::::::sigh:::::::::

I remember when the only thing out there was a large horse ranch...used to be called Sunnymead wasn't it?

The Air Force probably thought you wanted to be close to home, lol.~~~~Donna

68gt390

Donna;
You had Moreno Valley, Sunnymead, and Perris. I can still remember when they developed "Lake Perris". My aunt had a bad boating accident out there and almost drown. They incorporated all of Moreno Vally and Sunnymead together. My grandfather used to build homes out in that area (Yucca Valley, Joshua Tree, 29 Palms, Banning and Beaumont). And your right I don't think I'll ever go back. If I did, I'd opt to go up north somewhere. I did have some good times there while still in school. :cool:

Don

Diesel Donna

Don,

Yes, it is all one huge place blended together now.
Even Yucca Valley has custom homes everywhere now. Guess who lives in Joshua Tree? Eric Burden from the band 'War' !

Yep...I sold my house in Corona and moved into my vacation place here at the river.....I just can't keep my cars here...I lost my beloved El Camino here a year ago...it burned to death. I had THAT one for 29 years. I now keep my cars at a friend's house in Apple Valley...he has a 2500 sq.ft. shop behind his house. What a dream that is! He calls it the Garagemahal.

~~~~Donna

hotrodgrany

Unregistered said:
The 1968 GT/CS is a great looking Mustang with some cool Shelby trim pieces on it. Probably the best looking, non-Shelby Mustang ever produced. And that's pretty much where the comparison to a Shelby ends unless you were buying a GT/CS with a 428...that's a different animal alltogether. The Shelby is performance oriented (mostly) and the GT/CS is looks oriented (mostly). Even though you could get a GT/CS with a 302, 390, or 428, there are other differences that distinguish a Shelby from a GT/CS. Shelby only shocks made by Autolite. Different and lowered suspension. 15-inch wheels and Speedway or Polyglas tires (GT500KR only). Reinforced shock towers. And other visual differences. There were things done to the Shelbys that were not even options on a regular Mustang, and those things distinguish them from regular Mustangs and GT/CSs. Be glad that GT/CS prices aren't what Shelby prices are. I've probably bought my last Shelby because I can't afford any more of them, they are just too darn expensive. Let the GT/CS prices stay low, that way we can all enjoy them. The last set of original tires I bought for a Shelby cost me more than any of my GT/CSs. GT/CSs are the best kept secret in the Mustang hobby...let's keep it that way. And if anybody has any original E70-15 tires for a 1968 Shelby, I'm still looking for some.

Scott (can't log in but I'm a member)
I agree with you, I was srtongly thinking of a Shelby, but love my new 07 GT/CS