• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Engine Bay

Tequila

Thought I would share couple of pictures of my rebuilt engine, with all the period correct brackets. Still needs some finishing, including the air cleaner.

A few questions...

1) I stripped most of the engine bay to bare metal but noticed that the driver side fender apron & the strut rod bracket under several layers of black paint is the original Candy apple body color. Is that normal? Did it come from the factory with body color? I thought it was a semi gloss black. Sorry this question may have already been asked here before. I couldn't find a straight answer.

2) The sheet metal underneath is rust free but has some slightly uneven spots. Should I smooth it out with some sort of high build primer and block sand it? Or use light bondo?

3) I would like to preserve the look of the factory spot welds. Should I use only light coats of spray here? Any other tricks?

4) Is it normal to have the VIN number stamped on the right fender apron? I thought only the left apron had the vin #. Unfortunately my battery tray was rusted out and had to replace this apron a while back.

Thanks all.

Attachments

• 68engine2.jpg
    68engine2.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 68engine1.jpg
    68engine1.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 57

Ruppstang

It is not unusual to find body color under the black, the body was painted first and then the engine bay. The worker may have just been emptying the gun.

I would not even thing out if you are going for originality unless it was damage.

The spot welds will show through as long as you do not use too much spray filler.

Yes they all had a hidden VIN on the RH apron. I usually try to preserve the top with the VIN.

The engine is looking good. The entire heat riser should be blue as should be the lift hooks.
Marty