• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Brake Pedal Bracket Mounting

x-codegtcs

OK - I am stumped a little. My Jim Osborne book doesn't show me what I am looking for - or maybe, I am just not accepting what I see.

I am installing the brake pedal bracket/assembly and I expected it to also bolt to the dash. However, the book doesn't show any nuts on the "top" of the dash and the studs don't line up very well with the dash holes (about 1/8" short) to even get through to put a nut on the stud. Does anyone have any photos of their brake support at the dash before it was removed - or after it was reinstalled? I just seems funny to me that the pedal bracket would be unsupported at the dash.

Thanks in advance!!!

dalorzo_f

Don't have my references, or the cars, biz trip and on the road. But think they only bolt to the firewall with two small screws until the rest of the assembly goes in. Think the dash end is retained by the steering column bracket and at the firewall by some of the booster bolte/studs. But am not 100% sure...

68sunlitgold

Don't know if you have this, it came out of the Jim Osborn 'Chassis' Assembly Manual. It does not show where it bolts to.

Doug

Attachments

• 2013-08-01_21-12-27_927.jpg
    2013-08-01_21-12-27_927.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 26

Ruppstang

Bryce the top two studs of the column bracket pass through the dash structure. If yours do not line up something must be bent, use a tapered punch and pull it in to alignment.
Marty

OP
OP
X

x-codegtcs

Marty-thanks! So - based on this, the assembly from top to bottom (for the brake pedal bracket-dash cross section only) would be :

Nut
stud
dash
brake pedal bracket (and nut)
steering column bracket
nut

I really should give you a call...I have been swamped...THANKS AGAIN!!!

dalorzo_f

Not sure what you mean by the first "nut stud dash"... here is shot of one. The bracket just rests on the dash metal, bolted from below, nothing above it but the bracket...

OP
OP
X

x-codegtcs

Richard - THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!! It makes complete sense now! I had the bracket BELOW the dash. No wonder it wasn't lining up! This is what happens when a car sits disassembled for 10 years!