• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Grill restoration fog light bracket rivets

retroman99

i have read lots of posts on the grill. i decided to get a clean 1967 factory grill and take off all parts off my existing grill because it needed too much work. i have seen several grills at show and they have used pop rivets to attach the foglight brackets. i preferr the factory look so can anyboy tell me where to get the correct rivets i looked at AMK web site but cant seem to find any. any help would be appreciatted perhaps it is in one of the older threads but i cant seem to find it.

somethingspecial

That's who I purchased my rivots and tool from, I got the 2 inch deep crimper. It was approx. $200.00 for the tool.

OP
OP
R

retroman99

Yep, I choked, and paid the same for the 2" as well...

There is this option. I'd go this route if I did it again.

http://www.browntool.com/Default.as...oductName,ProductNumber&Level=a&ProductID=184

wow guys your serious about this i was thinking the little hand held punches. is there an issue with those. i wasnt thinking to get into the grille repair business. but the deeper i get into my project im beginning to wonder. yanked the engine yesterday. not much left but a shell and trany.

gt/csj4

wow guys your serious about this i was thinking the little hand held punches. is there an issue with those. i wasnt thinking to get into the grille repair business. but the deeper i get into my project im beginning to wonder. yanked the engine yesterday. not much left but a shell and trany.

Ah, there is the age old wonder. Of course not EVERY one of us are this intuitive or involved with detail, and/or facts. However, there are those (myself deeply included) that literally get a "hard on" knowing that their car(s) look today as it left the showroom 44+ years ago. It is so exhilarating, and more to the point exciting. Yeah, you "could" just take the easy route (and i swear I'm not negating the fact of those who really don't care about precedence of absolute perfection) But it's the "little details" that make a car from "restored" and "restored to original". Hell Iv'e spent years perfecting what I deemed as "a concours" driven Mustang (my 67 GTA coupe) only to find several flaws that I thought to be correct. All in all, what really matters is that YOU are happy with what you restore, because this isn't just a cult, it's a way of life

cheers

P.S i just pulled my 302 out of my cal and it looks so stellar i actually am impressed! Have fun with the motor my friend it is the "Crown jewel" to any car worth mentioning

Last edited:

dalorzo_f

I prefer to think of it as a kind of personality disorder.... 7 years restoring a 68 S convertible the same on a S GT coupe and all I see that really sticks out are the flaws... :rolleyes:

Ruppstang

I know exactly what you guys are talking about. I just spent the last three and a half years restoring our 68 HCS and many $$$$. Last week was it's first show at the MCA Grand National in OK. and we recived a gold award and were picked best of show by the fire cheif. Don't get me wrong I was excited about all of that but all I can think about is the 10 deductions out of the 700 point sheet. I will have all winter to work on them.
This was Bob Teets first HCS. Bob here is your first peek.
Marty

Attachments

• 001_crop.jpg
    001_crop.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 002_crop.jpg
    002_crop.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
OP
OP
R

retroman99

brackets marked funny

another issue came up today as i took the parts off my 1968 gt/cs grille to prepare them for attachment to the 1967 grille i bought. I noticed that the 2 small upper brackets that attach to the frame have "L" on them. im pretty sure this is the original grille that i removed the parts from. does anybody else have the same issue with both brackets having the "L" stamped on them. im not talking about the fog light bracket they are marked correctly and have "R" and "L" stamped on them. it is the small brackets that attach to the top of the grille see the red circle on the attached photo

Attachments

• gtcs grille brackets.jpg
    gtcs grille brackets.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 36

Ruppstang

They should have been left and right also. It could have been a factory mistake. Did they have the tubular rivits?
Marty

OP
OP
R

retroman99

factory mistake

I bet it was a factory mistake then.

I dont think im going to try to fix the factory mistake it didnt appear to make much of a difference my old grille was showing its age and needed allot of work thats why i decided to punt and find a 67 grille in good shape. i finished taking off all the 67 hardware and nocked out the cut outs for the fog lights with a wood chisel and a flat table. i practiced on my old grille. seemed to do the trick a little file and im ready for paint and some rivets.