• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Take a look at my Lucas Fog Light situation

68gulfstream

I'm working out the best way to get the Lucas fog lights correctly fitted. Turns out I actually have the mounting pedestals, but one of them is filled with epoxy. The mounting bolts look broken and I don't see an obvious way to swap in fresh ones. Reassembling the wiring is definitely something I can handle.

Would love to hear how you'd approach this, any ideas are welcome. The grille is also an issue, but let's start with a look at the lights and pedestals.

IMG_5083.jpg

IMG_5084.jpg

IMG_5085.jpg

IMG_5086.jpg

IMG_5087.jpg

IMG_5088.jpg

IMG_5089.jpg

IMG_5090.jpg

OP
OP
68gulfstream

68gulfstream

Obviously the grille and surround are non-GT/CS replacement parts. From what I have seen, the correct grille has a large hole for each fog light and a vertical bracket lined up on that hole. That's all missing, along with the holes in the surround.

Should I get a 1967 grille, cut the holes, and paint it the correct color? I would still need the brackets that go behind the grille, I'm not sure what they are called or a part number.

Then wiring it up - I don't see an obvious point to connect the leads but maybe I'm missing something.

IMG_5079.jpg

IMG_5081.jpg

IMG_5082.jpg

IMG_5092.jpg

IMG_5093.jpg

IMG_5096.jpg

IMG_5097.jpg

Mosesatm

If someone makes round-headed rivets can you drill out the old ones and install new? The rivets can't be seen unless someone looks for them so normal pop rivets may work.

Delta Bay Mustang may have the fog light brackets; sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. Mike Jewell (somethingspecial) made GT/CS grilles in the past; he may have an extra.

If the car is an original GT/CS or GT it should have a large breaker next to the fuse box. If the car has that breaker it should be wired for fog lights, and there should be bullet connectors near the lights, unless someone rewired the car with the wrong harness.

Attached is a drawing of the grill openings

Attachments

• Grille Cutout.jpg
    Grille Cutout.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Mosesatm

If someone makes round-headed rivets can you drill out the old ones and install new? The rivets can't be seen unless someone looks for them so normal pop rivets may work.

Delta Bay Mustang may have the fog light brackets; sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. Mike Jewell (somethingspecial) made GT/CS grilles in the past; he may have an extra.

If the car is an original GT/CS or GT it should have a large breaker next to the fuse box. If the car has that breaker it should be wired for fog lights, and there should be bullet connectors near the lights, unless someone rewired the car with the wrong harness.

Attached is a drawing of the grill openings
Here is a photo of the fuse box and breaker. The fuse box is on the right, the breaker on the left.

Attachments

• Fuse BoxDSCN1972 (1000x750).jpg
    Fuse BoxDSCN1972 (1000x750).jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 65

Mosesatm

It's difficult to see in this photo but the fog light wire is in the same general area as the horn wire. If you can trace the horn wire down to the opening in the core support you should see an extra wire.

Attachments

• Fog Light Wiring.jpg
    Fog Light Wiring.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 59
OP
OP
68gulfstream

68gulfstream

I think the breaker is there. It might be flipped upside down. There's the fog light switch too. Looking pretty sloppy down there!

IMG_5098.jpg

IMG_5101.jpg

Mosesatm

It's there, so the wiring for the fog lights should be in place, too.

franklinair

Parts source possibilities:
Lucas lights/parts: Marty Rupp
Lucas Light stanchions & hardware:Rob Campbell
GT/CS Grill: Mike Jewell

The fog light connector is a 2 pin (male/female type) on the fog light, matching the car's harness (located near the horn wires on the left & right sides as Arlie stated).
The location of the stanchion mounting holes (on the wide grill molding) is described in the GT/CS owner's book.
Hope this helps.

Neil

Attachments

• IMG_0390.jpg
    IMG_0390.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0382.jpg
    IMG_0382.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 52

Ruppstang

Here are some pictures of some Lucas fog light the one with England on the glass is a correct assembly line light the other with foreign glass and large wire grommet is a latter replacement. I do not know what your goals for your car but if it is a driver the replacement would be far cheaper.
The one picture shows the wiring detail Neil was referring to.
I think You have assembly line lights that could be saved. Looks like the tubular nut was cut off. If you do not have the GTCS book I have a drawing I can email to you.
Marty

Attachments

• HCS fog light restoration 005_crop.jpg
    HCS fog light restoration 005_crop.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 52
  • HCS fog light restoration 004_crop.jpg
    HCS fog light restoration 004_crop.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
68gulfstream

68gulfstream

Great point, I should have checked the book. The grille section is really helpful and has a parts list AND the wiring is in there too. The other photos are great as well to demonstrate the differences and details. Thanks guys.

I'm not really sure of my goals for the car yet. I know I want to drive it often, maintain it properly, and assemble the missing correct parts (originals I hope). Once it's complete and healthy, then I can go through it and make decisions on what can be improved. I hope to give it the attention to detail that it deserves.

Maybe I can rebuild my lights scavenging Lucas parts and riveting the adjuster base back on, if I can find the hardware. Or I could just buy a complete set of originals if they pop up.

What would you recommend to cut out the grille holes? A cutoff wheel on a Dremel?

robert campbell

I am all over building the Lucas light kits for GT/CS and HCS cars. Eric you may only need the nuts and some minor hardware. Neil is sending me a nut to copy, and that may e all you need. But you need to remove what is left on you bolt form the light. that may need heat and a lot of lube to get it off. Or taking a small grinder cutting wheel to gently cut it off.

Rob

franklinair

I'm using the Marchal repros on my next CS project. You need to have the Marchal mounting brackets on the grill to mount them.

Neil

OP
OP
68gulfstream

68gulfstream

The Marchals look reallly cool but I'll at least try to put mine back to stock.

Just ordered a set of the Marchal grille brackets from Delta Bay Mustang, they were $85 and they still have some. I'm one step closer.

I will see if I can remove what is left of those broken tube nuts and maybe salvage the lights I have.

One more question - any thoughts on the grill that is currently on there? I am planning to find an original '67 but I should figure out what I have before I tear it out.

Last edited:

robert campbell

Eric,
Be very careful removing the nut. If it does not spin off somewhat easily you will rip the carriage bolt and the thin metal that holds it on the light. I am very close to producing a very close, if not concurs quality, nut to replace the them. They are either metric or British Whitworth threads so do not run a tap on them at all.

I would get a small high speed grinder and cut the nut in half to remove it. Or better yet, take the lenses and bulbs out and ship the light bodies to me. I will cut them off and fix you up.

Rob

1968Cally

Parts source possibilities:
Lucas lights/parts: Marty Rupp
Lucas Light stanchions & hardware:Rob Campbell
GT/CS Grill: Mike Jewell

The fog light connector is a 2 pin (male/female type) on the fog light, matching the car's harness (located near the horn wires on the left & right sides as Arlie stated).
The location of the stanchion mounting holes (on the wide grill molding) is described in the GT/CS owner's book.
Hope this helps.

Neil
What is the GTCS owners book? is this the one referenced in the other thread, or is it the GTCS Recognition Guide. If they are different books, how do they differ. Is one geared to what is correct.

Just got word that my new GTCS acquisition is being picked up in Florida tomorrow. Then, depending on other pickups and drop-offs it could be a week to 10 days until I get her to the Chicago area. It is so cold here, I wonder if she will even start coming off the truck!

OP
OP
68gulfstream

68gulfstream

Just got word that my new GTCS acquisition is being picked up in Florida tomorrow. Then, depending on other pickups and drop-offs it could be a week to 10 days until I get her to the Chicago area. It is so cold here, I wonder if she will even start coming off the truck!

The most recent hardcover book should get you where you need to go. Tons of good info. It's about $80. Did you buy the red GT/CS that was for sale in the Tallahassee area? That was the only red one in Florida that I saw recently.

I found the fog light wiring sockets on my car, hanging down behind the grille. Right now the Lucas bolts are soaking in PB Blaster and then I'll try to heat them up and remove them. Or cut them off. If that fails, they're all yours Rob :smile:

IMG_5108.jpg

IMG_5109.jpg

hcsmustangs

Reproduction lamp parts for driving lamps

I reproduce the mounting parts per Bob Teet’s lamp parts kit if you are interested. I have a number of sets in stock. I also have stripe kits and 68 HCS Decals. Pleas let me know if I can help. Thanks.