• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

GT/CS Trunk Lids uneven ??

connvalley

I was browsing the Gallery and the Classifieds GT/CS rear end photos and noticed many of the Trunk Lids are not lined up the same. Looking at the bottom side edge of the trunk lid and the bottom edge of the quarter panel extensions, it seems most trunk lids look a 1/4 inch high. Is this an adjustment problem with the trunk latch that can be lowered to bring down the trunk lid so the top side edges and bottom side edge lines up even with the quarter panel extensions ?? Maybe I'm too fussy but I couldn't help noticing it between all the vehicle pics I've looked at.

Mosesatm

Most original cars do not have enough adjustment to fix all the rear panel alignments. That is one way to tell a real GT/CS from a clone. If the panels fit like an 8-year old installed them it's probably real. You've probably also noticed that the dirvers side end cap is a little crooked and sits too high. The good news is that all the parts are fiberglass so the alignments can be fixed with a grinder, a fiberglass repair kit, and patience.

-=MUSTANG=-

Welcome to the world of fit and finish 1968. Lexus manages something like 3mm everywhere, consistantly. They just didn't have the ability to do that back then, and actually, I think a little uneveness ads to the charm of these cars.

68gt390

If you try adjusting by lowering your trunk latch - good luck trying to shut your trunk. I tried that and ended up putting it back were it was. As for any other adjustments - your guess is as good as mine. I'll just keep my original fiberglass thank you. Most of the new stuff you get fits like crap and to be honest with you looks like crap on the underside.

Don 8)

meadowsdk28

And don't forget the warpage!! I've noticed since I've got mine back out of storage, I've gained about an extra 1/4" warp on the passenger side. I've got to look for the post, but I know it's been addressed once or twice. Guess I'm going to have to set some weight on it. Gotta love it!

68gt390

MD28;
I'll be doing the same this winter. Will cover the car and set several large books on the left side. Hopefully this will work. Time will tell. The small amount of warpage I have on the left side causes the trunk to leak when driving in rain. I usually put a small piece of vacuum hose in the rubber trunk seal and that seems to stop it.

Don ;)

meadowsdk28

[quote author=68gt390 link=board=4;threadid=1933;start=0#msg12857 date=1122386534]
MD28;
I'll be doing the same this winter. Will cover the car and set several large books on the left side. Hopefully this will work. Time will tell. The small amount of warpage I have on the left side causes the trunk to leak when driving in rain. I usually put a small piece of vacuum hose in the rubber trunk seal and that seems to stop it.

Don ;)
[/quote]

So...you figure to leave the trunk lid installed and just leave the weight on for the winter, then? I thought I might have to remove the trunk and put it on saw horses or something, but if you don't think you'd have to...I've got to find that old post.

meadowsdk28

[quote author=68gt390 link=board=4;threadid=1933;start=0#msg12857 date=1122386534]
MD28;

Don ;)
[/quote]

Found it:

Almost all the GT/CS decklids seem to have a little too much bend to them. Doug is right that placing a weight on the lid will eventually bend it back into shape, Corvette guys do that all the time. Also check to see it the panel has pulled loose from the frame. If it has then you may just need to glue it back together.

Another option is to ever-so-gently bend the top of the rear fender upwards with a hydraulic ram. The ram idea scares the heck out of me because pushing too hard will cause all sorts of horrible problems. One of the recent issues of the automotive restoration magazine shows how to do it on a GT/CS. If you go this route you may want to take it to your body shop and have them give the fender a push, then if they wrinkle it they get to fix it.

So how much weight do you plan on using. Doug had mentioned in another post that the Shelby guys do it in the middle of the hood with very little weight. When you say books are you going with a couple 3 hardback Stephen Kings or more like A-K of the Encyclopedia (and don't try to play it off that you don't have a set laying around, I know how old you are!! ;D)?

68gt390

MD28;
Your right I do have a couple of old sets of Encyclopedias packed away in the basement. What I thought I'd do which I think would be better is use weights from my weight machine. They are square and each one weighs about 10lbs. I'll start out with 2 and see how that goes and if necessary increase from there. I just have to remember to use some good padding or a couple of thick towels with the weights. I sure as heck don't like the idea of using a hydraulic ram.
I'm sure over the course of the winter it should have some effect on it. We'll see. Oh, one last thing talking about age your not that far behind me. 10 years isn't a lot of time. Besides I to can relate the the actual "Little Red Wagon". We used to watch it run at the Pomona Drag way out in California. They also had one called the "Radio Flyer".

Don 8)

68MustangHCS

Do these trunk lids naturally lift higher on the drivers side or the passenger side. From what I have read...the drivers side. I have two HCS cars...one all of the panels matches up perfect...the other, warps in the rear trunk lid and also the scoops...bummer...maybe I need to pull out a heavy dictionary.

our special

What is the recommended adhesive for glueing the panel back to the frame.
My panel is seperating and it seems to be bowing more on the passenger side. This may solve the problem.