• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Question about taking off Lucas foglights

390cs68rcode

I am replacing the grill trim pieces (and repainting the grill and all the grill stuff). These Lucas foglights are really giving me a hard time. I have a wrench on the 3/4 bolt on the bottom. I can hold the lamp still and twist the bolt but it never loosens. I have tried holding the bolt still and twisting the lamp (a bunch in both directions) and no progress. The other side is so tight I cannot even move the bolt or lamp.

how in the heck are these attached and how do I get the $^%&^*&&% bolts loose?

Mosesatm

Jason, here is a picture of one of my extra lights. If your bolts are as rusted as this one you may need to try to squirt some WD-40 in there and let them soak. It looks like the bolt head is probably spinning in the fog light slot so you will probably also need to pull up hard on the fog light when you turn the bolt. Probably a 2-person job.

Last edited:

nfrntau

Jason I have the marchals so I don't know if this will help.
Can you remove the front frame and lens and hold the bolt from the top while your pulling up on the housing as Arlie mentioned?
Sounds like a third hand on the wrench might be a good idea.

P

PNewitt

Hey JB,

The reason the nuts never seem to loosen is because (if it's original) there is a square washer under the grill piece, with one edge bent, to act like a lockwasher.

You might need to (gently) push down on the lamp while loosening the nut. The compression will allow the nut to move more freely.

It's a bear to do, but it will work. You might consider a ratchet type wrench. The worse problem in mashing the fins on the front of the radiator while doing this.

Good Luck

Paul N.