• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Why is there still confusion about the GT/CS?

J_Speegle

Paul N wrote
"Excuse my tardiness, but I will get back to you about the "concours parts review" for my book."

And the paint marks section (which I think you may have some problems with ... but we'll talk and at least supply the paint inspector stamps ;)

"About SAAC vs. MCA. I feel that a formal letter to MCA is in order, explaining some of the "problems" I've had with them over the years. I offered my GT/CS Concours info and a book to them in 1996, and they declined (on the phone), "since I wasn't a member". SAAC has not only sent me amazing info from Ford, and Shelby Automotive on the GT/CS development, but included a page on the GT/CS in their 1997 Registry bible."

Would suggest that because of different connections from one group to another MCA didn't have anything to offer or send. But there are allot of personalities in both groups.... just depends on who you get or call that day.

"I also have a few questions for MCA about the GT/CS grille color(s), and that bit about black on the taillight frames."

Boy shouldn't you be the one with the answers... not the questions. :eek:

Judges meeting is coming up the first weekend in Nov. :icon_ecst

The road is long and not without a few pebbles before we reach the goal. (I did get the upper shock mount finish changed last couple of years)

Mustanglvr

PNewitt said:
Since you forgot to mention "Bailing Wire", and "Anti-stall Dashpot", we're sending Officer "Thayer R. Nun" from the Technical Thread Police over to question you. He may be delayed from a visit over at Rhonda's.

(Rhonda: "what da..???")

LOL, James.

Paul N.

Ha, ha, very funny. At least I`m not the one going off subject this time!:tongue: :wink:

Mustanglvr

I`d like to know what other cars were factory modified to the extent that the GT/CS was? It is still considered a Mustang, but I`ve had alot of people not recognize it as such. Like mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, the guy said he knew all about Mustangs and did`nt believe it was a Mustang and had to be shown the identification guide and Marti report. Our cars are unique and rare. Alot of people think they are or should be worth as much as the old Shelby`s. People I meet on a daily basis comment that my car is probably worth ALOT! Maybe thats because they should be worth ALOT! And I believe they will, no matter what engine size. Its only a matter of time. The GT/CS is`nt just a Mustang. It is an entity all on its own. The more that people learn of them, the more desirable they will be and the more they will go up in value.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

I can't emphasize this enough--when I say-- "it's not just the production of the GT/CS in 1968, but how it's come into it's own from almost 40 years of ownership".

It's your love of the car that has given the GT/California Special it's honor, and uniqueness. From the west coast to the east coast, it has become what it is today by the owners.

This is why Ford chose this marque of Mustang to make the '07/'08 GT/CS. Without your absolute, undying affection for this car, it would not exist as we know it today. It's not so much me, and my books, it's you (I was just a catalyst to your enthusiasm). Every time you see a new GT/CS on the road, you can proudly say that you had a little bit to do with that happening.

Now is the time to bring the awareness and recognition of this Mustang up to par. Whether it's car shows, magazine articles, books, or car shows and drives. This is what makes others notice, remember and appreciate.

Paul N.

Last edited:

68gt390

Just to show how a few folks know what a CS is I'll be attending a show this Saturday (9/16/06) that is by "invitation only". The gentleman who is putting on the show has called me several times over the past 6 months to check to see if I still plan on attending. From what I've gathered from his comments there are several folks that are coming to this show who have never seen a GT/CS in real life and are very interested in seeing the car. Should be an interesting and fun time. It's kinda funny but, there are several of us who all live in the same area and caravan to show's together. I've never thought about it before but, seems I'm always the car they put out front to lead the way. I'll have to ask about that one?

Don :grin:

390cs68rcode

the current GT/CS was not highly advertised by Ford. I bet in 40 years the current CS's will be less known than the 68's.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

390cs68rcode said:
the current GT/CS was not highly advertised by Ford. I bet in 40 years the current CS's will be less known than the 68's.

I tend to agree, but we'll just have to see how people accept and "keep"
this late model version. Except for the SVO and Cobras, I can't think of many of the 79-90 Mustangs that are high on the collector list--for the long term.

I think that the '68 version was a radical conversion to accomplish in a factory, for it's day. The new GT/CS includes is a more "streamlined" type of production design, due to costs, and plant operations. It's interesting how the '07 GT/CS design has found it's way into the Shelby GT-H, and Shelby GT.

Since the retro look of the '05-'08 has been popular, I think they will be treated somewhat more like a classic. But, it's a whole different world than back in the sixties.

Paul N.

PFSlim

I also agree with Casey. It is a marketing thing. Which is why I think we should all do our best to keep our GT/CS's out there, driving them, showing them, etc. I now the folks in my neck of the woods get to see mine enough!!!

Interesting thread.

Paul

John McGilvary

When I bought my CS/CJ new it got little respect, but now even though most people in my part of the country (Utah) don't know what a CS is they do respect it as a rare Mustang. Everyone wants to know the history of the care an seem to be fasinated when I tell them. John