• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Do you think I could sell 2K GT/CS Books?

zozobra

I think you might consider how many are willing to pre-order (and pay) to soften your up-front cost. I know I would pre-order both to 1) help the cause, and 2) be sure I get one. I spent a lot more money (money well spent I might add) than $100 each to get copies of your previous books and will/would do the same with the new one.

dpheyes

Paul,

Whatever your final decision is - I would pre-order two "deluxe" books today.

One for me and my '68, and one for my parents whose '07 is due to be delivered TODAY! WooHoo!

Please make sure I'm on your list!

Thanks,
Doug

Midnight Special

Paul, maybe propose the official question, clear out your PM box and begin taking comittments and request payment right before production (or have us commit publicly on a new thread).

For example: Our group is able to pay for an entire airshow (insurance, performers, band, catering, a/c fuel, services etc...) well in advance of the event by selling its value to sponsors (which you have done). There seems an abundance of people here willing to prepay....

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Paul, maybe propose the official question, clear out your PM box and begin taking comittments and request payment right before production (or have us commit publicly on a new thread).

For example: Our group is able to pay for an entire airshow (insurance, performers, band, catering, a/c fuel, services etc...) well in advance of the event by selling its value to sponsors (which you have done). There seems an abundance of people here willing to prepay....

Hey Tim (and everyone else)!!!,

I certainly appreciate your enthusiasm and ideas for the book, and how I could go about getting it out. Again, my thanks to everyone for their support and it really means a lot to me.

Part of the pre-agreement with Ford is that I can't pre-sell a trademarked item (i.e. "GT/CS") until it's licensed. So-- I can not send out letters to the 900 or so folks on my list, and ask for $$ yet.

So-- I'm, sending a "book confirmation form", to order a book (or more than one) that will be mailed back to me. No money is involved with this form, and it's a chance to let everyone know what is going on, and how this is going to have to work. It will be at this time when people can get priority for a (signed and) numbered copy.

I have more than one backer to front the licensing, printing, etc.(thank you!!). But before I want to do anything--I need to get a relaible headcount of how many books I can sell at start, to see if this whole thing will fly.... I know--I know...it's a no-brainer, but I want to do this right from the beginning. Besides--the mail response will give me a better estimate for licensed sales, since Ford wants a projected sales number for each of three years.

I also need to look into liability insurance (any experts/agents/advice out there?). I tell ya--if someone was doing a $15 book, they'd be S-O-L from the up-front costs, not even including printing. I don't think you'll see many other independant writers/publishers doing this type of thing anytime soon... That is why YOUR support here will make this happen, and why I am SO lucky to have it. I just wonder how other Registries will do their information, and registry listings. I think a Boss 302/429 book with Registry would be awesome, too.

So--don't get me wrong. This WILL happen, and I'm making a plan right now. It's not anything like cold feet, etc....it's just logistics, research, and some timing.

So--my list is ready to go--and as soon as I can get my current project done (late May), this will be the priority.

thanks again!!

Paul N.

franklinair

Paul;
I've read all the comments, pro &con, this & that. The bottom line is you've got your act together, done your homework, and have great support. Best of luck (well deserved), and I'll patiently await my copies!
Neil Hoppe

68gt390

Thanks, Rob,

Very encouraging words. I appreciate it very much.

OK--I'll do the mailing now, with the pre-sale offer. The timing is right on the marque, as the '08s come out (which will be the icing on the GT/CS cake!).

Paul N.

Paul;
Was just wondering about the mailing you spoke about above. Has that happened yet?

Don

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Hi Don, and everyone else....

I just finished a HUGE exhibit project for Wall Drug, South Dakota ("Westward We Go", if anyone out in the midwest would like to go see it.) Anyway, after about three intensive months, it's done. It was a 15 foot wide map of the USA, with lights, animations and an 8-minute soundtrack with music. It was finished last Tuesday (6/5).

I have to get the Ford license process going, then the letters go out. The BIG mailing list is complete, labels ready to go. This week and next week will be when I get the letter written, then they go out.

Sorry for the delay. That previous project took longer than I expected--but it provides $$ for me to work on the book without any "outside work" distractions for a while.

Paul.

LUVMYCS

Hi Don, and everyone else....

I just finished a HUGE exhibit project for Wall Drug, South Dakota ("Westward We Go", if anyone out in the midwest would like to go see it.) Anyway, after about three intensive months, it's done. It was a 15 foot wide map of the USA, with lights, animations and an 8-minute soundtrack with music. It was finished last Tuesday (6/5).

Paul.

Sounds cool, Paul. I wish I was close by to check it out!
I'll be looking out for your mailing and patiently awaiting the book!

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Just wondering are you sending to our personal address, If you need my address, please email me. Thanks

Yes, I do have your address. Thanks for asking.

As a side note--the folks in South Dakota are extremely nice and helpful. I consider that true for all of the midwest, too!

Paul N.

Sarge

Paul,
I check in much too infrequently these days, but I am heading to the mailbox (in my house slippers) after sending this to see if I got my letter! I need two, may spring for three.
Robert

Doug

I will also be checking my mail box - as I especially need (want) this book so I can continue my search for a California Special and maybe know what I am looking for. Until than I guess that I'll just have to ask questions in through this forum.

I sent you a PM with my address and will order at least 2 books - could be more as it would be a great holiday gift.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

I'm writing the letter right now, and hope to get it in the mail ASAP. Probably by the end of next week.

After the letter is sent, I'll also post it also on this site, so everyone can read it here.

As a side note, I saw a Corvette book in Border's yesterday, and it had a hood emblem affixed to the cover. Inspiration for me....I'll try to put the California Special script (smaller, custom made) to be attached to the front of the hardcover. We deserve the class this Mustang gives up--and you'll get it.

thanks again for all your support.

Paul.

Stacey Enderle

I'll second that,...

Paul;
I have been reading this thread with much interest. With all that has already been said and done the only thing I can add is this ---

"WE NOW HAVE THE DIECAST MODEL, NOW "WE (ALL OF US)" NEED YOUR BOOK".

Don

I second that! Getting my CS out for the summer of 2008 is in the plans to enter in car shows and I sure hope to have that book by then, I have all the other goodies including my royal maroon die cast model. So please don't let me down. :grin:

Stacey

hotrodgrany

Yes, I do have your address. Thanks for asking.

As a side note--the folks in South Dakota are extremely nice and helpful. I consider that true for all of the midwest, too!

Paul N.

Ok Paul, just mail me the info on how you are taking payments, and I will get back to you as soon as I recieve it. I have paypal, if that would work and you will recieve your money the same day. I want one for sure.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

I'm writing the flier right now. I may take half-down deposits, OR, I may only take reservations. You'll know when you get the flier in the mail. Do not send any money right now....

I'll offer a small discounts on more than one book ordered at the same time, and I will make sure that an order of more than one will be sold as consecutive-numbered books to the buyer/collector.

I'll post the flier info here (as it's own thread) once the mailing has gone out.

Two other points:

If I seem like I'm ignoring anyone's PM, please understand that I do read everything, and keep good track of it. I apologize in advance if I may not have time to write back. Things here are getting hectic 'round here these dayz!!

Also-- If you think I either didn't get your address, or it's changed on your end, it may overrun my PMs if you send it to me. Be patient--I'll clear the box (or get Jon to open it up for 300 messages) ASAP; and try again.

If you've sent me something within, oh, the last three years, you're OK. We were very meticulous in getting the names & addresses right for the upcoming mailing.

stay tuned!!

Paul.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

In the continuing spirit of sharing the book's process with you all, here is an update, and information about the mailer that I am currently working on. I'll post this notice on two threads.

Although I have been talking about a mailer since (at least) June, the delay is not a matter of procrastination or hesitancy, but of timing. It's a bit like being between a rock and a hard place. This is not really a direct delay, but abuot how well I can juggle my time and maximize production and sales.

Applying for the license for the book requires obtaining insurance, then an application process. I can't go into the details, but know that all of this has been in the works for some time now.

I had originally thought of sending the mailer to about 1,000 folks on my mailing list, asking for a book deposit. After thinking this through, I've decided to send the mailer ASAP with a reservation form. If you wish to buy a book (or more than one) you will fill out the reservation form, and can return it with NO pre-order money required. It won't be a binding agreement, but I will be holding a book (or more) for you, with as low a number as possible. When the books are ready, books unpaid by this reservation will untimately go to another buyer. The unknown variable is the time it will actually take to finish the book--and the licensing process, so I wouldn't want to tie up your money for an undetermined length of time.

Your reservation(s) will give me a serious estimate of how many books I can sell in the short term, to finance this whole project. The insurance, license advance fee, printing & binding, DVDs, and other necessary items will cost quite a lot. I have had a couple of investors interested (which I greatly appreciate!!). What I'll need are some good numbers of those interested enough to buy a book (or more) when they become available. This is the missing part of this puzzle that I'll appreciate getting, once the returned reservation forms start coming in.

Once the mailer has gone out, In the meantime the book's writing, editing and production, will move ahead. There will be an undetermined time required for the license approval, including a review of the book. The licensing process will not hinder the continuation of the book's progress.

When the license is approved, and the book is ready to go to print, I will approach those with reservations for payment in full (including shipping) at that time. This will be explained in detail in the mailer you will receive. All of this may sound a bit confusing, but I am definately moving forward despite the required legal and financial requirements. I'm able to include the 2008 GT/CS production data and history, which will really make this a complete history book of the GT/CS (and makes the book's "delay" actually an advantage).

In the meantime--I'm finishing up the mailer ASAP, and it will go out very soon!! (it would be safe to say by the end of July, you'll "finally" get it). This mailer will also include some more questions about your GT/CS, and a request to get your Marti Report, photos and perhaps video to me ASAP. Some members/owners on my list are not aware of this website, and haven't heard from me since 1996. This may bring some very interesting new information!

I'd be happy to answer any questions, and/or clarify anything.
I truly appreciate your continued interest and support!

Paul N.