• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Exhaust Question

whodat

I have a question about dual exhaust. I went to World of Wheels in New Orleans in january. There was a 1968 Shelby GT500KR Fastback there totally restored. I was talking to the owners son and he let me look under it. I saw the dual exhaust with the two resonators and the single muffler between the gas tank and rear end. If this is original how does it sound and did the CS's have this? Would this be good to have or just dual exhaust? Since I put the GT valence on the car and have the dual tips I want to get new exhaust. I was reading the exhaust thread recently.

Mustanger

I have a question about dual exhaust. I went to World of Wheels in New Orleans in january. There was a 1968 Shelby GT500KR Fastback there totally restored. I was talking to the owners son and he let me look under it. I saw the dual exhaust with the two resonators and the single muffler between the gas tank and rear end. If this is original how does it sound and did the CS's have this? Would this be good to have or just dual exhaust? Since I put the GT valence on the car and have the dual tips I want to get new exhaust. I was reading the exhaust thread recently.

If you want improved performance, then dual mufflers are better than the single traverse mounted muffler. In fact, in 1970, Ford configured all their dual exhaust sytems to include 2 mufflers for the Mustang, this was considered an improvement for performance ...

Mosesatm

Rusting out of the muffler was also a huge issue because the muffler was the lowest point in the system.

dalorzo_f

Stock '68 390/428 setup. 20+ years on mine and no explosions or rust...

It is a reasonable setup with a moderate, but "firm" note that sounds good (to me) and doesn't drone or become annoying when cruising.

I can't belive just changing the muffler from transverse to duals would make a significant difference (maybe a HP or three) as its a two pass system, so really not too much different to duals, a couple feet less of pipe and two fewer turns...

OP
OP
whodat

whodat

I went to a exhaust shop yesterday and showed him what I want. We decided on the daul exhaust setup w/o the resonators and single muffler. He does a lot of the old cars around here. But he had never seen or heard of a GT/CS. So I had to show him the registry. I love explaining these cars to people.