• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Lucas mounting

Mustanger

Recently I've spotted 2 GT/CSs with different type of mounting bases: not the tall, aluminum, cylindrical type, but a shorter, chrome, square type. I thought that these might've been incorrect, but one of the owners (2nd owner of the car) claimed it was original.

Then, I saw a book on Shelbys in Borders Bookstore, and there were some pictures of the same square bases.

Any insight on the history of these different square bases??

Talan423

the small square chrome mounts should be for the shelby mustang. the gt/cs used the taller cylindrical pedestals. i suppose a dealership could have put the square bases on by mistake after the marchal recall in april of 68, which would make them original but not correct.

tom

68gt390

Tom;
Your right on the money. Ford dealers did all kinds of weird stuff to these cars. Some used the pedestals and others used the square chrome fitting designed to be used with the Shelby cars and some didn't even use either in some cases. I've even seen owners discard the pedestal mounts in favor of the Shelby mounts (go figure). My car when I bought it had the Lucas lights with the Shelby mounts on it. It has since been changed. If your shooting for concourse use the pedestals to be correct.

Don ;)

hookedtrout

My thoughts on the subject, blue with white...oh sorry that's another topic. Marchal lights rule. no wierd mounting issues, they sit where they look best and the lights are way distinguished. ;D Find some, and git er done.

Hook

68gt390

[quote author=hookedtrout link=board=1;threadid=1771;start=0#msg11345 date=1118126691]
My thoughts on the subject, blue with white...oh sorry that's another topic. Marchal lights rule. no wierd mounting issues, they sit where they look best and the lights are way distinguished. ;D Find some, and git er done.

Hook
[/quote]

Hook you are so right and I couldn't agree with you more but, you've got to remember the build date of your car (26 Apr or earlier). Of course if your not shooting for that concourse look I say go for it. The cars just look so much better.

Don 8)

PFSlim

Good Thread. When we were building our car, we could not find the Marchal lights. So... We went the cheaper way and bought a set of "not correct" Lucas lights from England off Ebay. The price was right for us and at that point in our build, we were aiming to get the car together and not care how original it was. We of course changed our minds several times about how original we were going to put back the car. As well, we ordered the ped kit from this site.

Anyway, we found a set of Marchals and even though our build date is June, we liked the look so much better that we could not pass up installing these lights. I love the look of the lights floating in the grill. We also had to start all over with a new grill and brackets for the new Marchal lights.

So, just in case someone is interested, we do still have our "not correct" Lucas lights and ped kit. If we can help someone, please let us know.

Paul