• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

2007 Mustang - no hood pins?

Mosesatm

Regarding the new GT/CS; from a business point of view I think Ford's one and only goal is to make a car that looks better than the GT but not as good as the Shelby.

IMHO Ford has no interest in honoring the original GT/CS, especially since the only body style they don't currently have is the style the original was, namely a coupe.

joedls

Mosesatm said:
IMHO Ford has no interest in honoring the original GT/CS, especially since the only body style they don't currently have is the style the original was, namely a coupe.

I wonder what a coupe would look like. Anyone with some artistic skills wanna take a crack at it? I know I am not that impressed with the convertible, whether a GT or a GT/CS.

68gt390

Unfortunately Ford hasn't done anything yet that impresses me about the 07 GT/CS. Guess I'm still were I was at the start of first seeing the photo's of the car. I could get a GT and pick-up all the other stuff I need to make it a GT/CS and save myself some cash.

Don :tongue:

P

PNewitt

Mosesatm said:
Regarding the new GT/CS; from a business point of view I think Ford's one and only goal is to make a car that looks better than the GT but not as good as the Shelby.

So....about your first point, historically, how is that different than what was done in 1968?

Your second point--I think is inaccurate, if you only knew the people that worked so hard to put the new CS together. As they say, "you can't go home again", and despite what we see as the '07 version, it's the best that marketing and design and the politics of Ford can produce (which I think is pretty good).

Perhaps you could spell out what could have been on the '07 that would qualify as "honored" design to the '68 original?

Paul N.

Mustanglvr

PNewitt said:
So....about your first point, historically, how is that different than what was done in 1968?

Your second point--I think is inaccurate, if you only knew the people that worked so hard to put the new CS together. As they say, "you can't go home again", and despite what we see as the '07 version, it's the best that marketing and design and the politics of Ford can produce (which I think is pretty good).

Perhaps you could spell out what could have been on the '07 that would qualify as "honored" design to the '68 original?

Paul N.

Oh Paul, don`t get us started!

Mosesatm

PNewitt said:

Paul N.

Hood pins
Rectangular fog lights
Wide tail lights
Ducktail spoiler
Coupe

Paul, people work hard behind the scenes in every business but at the end of the day that doesn't mean squat. The product is all the public cares about.

I'm not even bashing the car. It's ok for what it is but it is not a GT/CS.

All I'm saying is that Ford is not interested in the same things we are interested in. They are interested in selling cars and for that reason they need something that looks better than the GT but not as good as the Shelby.

Personally, I don't see any reason to call this car a "GT/CS" when calling it a "Mach 1" would be more appropriate. If they are going to call the car a GT/CS then it should have more GT/CS stuff on it. All they are doing is prettying up a Mustang and pulling a name out of the archives, and by doing so they are not honoring the name or doing it justice.

68gt390

I think that most of us would be happy with just 1 item that is similiar to the original GT/CS. Look at the initial 05 that hit the streets. They did many things in the design that brought back the lines of several years of the older mustangs. That's what made the 05 an instant hit with the public. I'm sorry but, this car has nothing that even comes close other than the backards GT/CS stripe. Heck, I'd be happy with a duck tail spoiler. Just something that would make the car more than just a glorified GT. How hard can that be.
Even the new Mach I's they brought back had the shaker hood.

Paul; "it's the best that marketing and design and the politics of Ford can produce". If this is the best they can produce then they can keep it. I for one don't see where they've put a lot of work into it. I'm not interested.

With the current state of this new GT/CS, I have to agree with Arlie.

Don

Last edited:

390cs68rcode

I have said it many times before. I would only buy one of the new CS's if it had the Shelby motor in it otherwise not interested.

Mustanger

coupe model

Mosesatm said:

... you know, as I once said a while ago, Ford could make the new GT/CS a convertible with a removable hard top and kinda give you the best of both worlds: the traditional coupe appearance, and a convertible fun-factor for when you feel like having the wind blow through your hair ...

P

PNewitt

Mosesatm said:
Hood pins
Rectangular fog lights
Wide tail lights
Ducktail spoiler
Coupe

Personally, I don't see any reason to call this car a "GT/CS" when calling it a "Mach 1" would be more appropriate. If they are going to call the car a GT/CS then it should have more GT/CS stuff on it. All they are doing is prettying up a Mustang and pulling a name out of the archives, and by doing so they are not honoring the name or doing it justice.

We've had this discussion before. I can understand your expectations for what makes up a true GT/CS--and no one has that criteria down more than me. From that standpoint, I agree. It's like how Hollywood messes up a sequel or doesn't make the film like "how the book was".

However.... I can now say that I've had contact with a key person with the project. In doing so, I've offered anyhting from my archive, and sent jpegs of artwork, stripe details, emblems, stats, etc. This was offered for the folks at Ford to take advantage of these things to make the car "closer" to the idea of the original.

However--having said that--there are some VERY real constrictions on what they can and can't do. It boils down to cost per unit. They tried about 20 different spoilers. Not one ducktail type would work, because they didn't want to use tape to hold it one. The closest available one is the SHELBY spoiler, which will become available as an upgrade.

We talked about the grille--foglights, etc. There was no available grille without a horse to use. Making a new grille would have involved lots of costs to crash test, etc. Not possible. The SVT Shelby guys get what they want--but the Ford and Mustang "SE" team has to do--and get--what they can (and they've been VERY resourceful).

I had hoped for the rear script, but that was too costly- $50k to set up a jig at the factory to mount them.

If you wish to get the coupe look, then buy a convertible, and get that removeable hardtop, which has better look.

No wide taillights exist today to use. Not even for the SHELBY.

I'm sure anyone could retrofit the '68 ACSCO type hood locks on the '07.

If you look closely at the Hertz car, the front fascia and the side scoops are GT/CS. The rear quarter panels are "CS specific" for the '07 production.

As for the motor--that's pretty much a moot point by now. Shelby has the exclusive on that. The SE program is for making a series of Mustangs that honor the earlier marques.

Lastly--I think all that matters is that i was told that it was your enthusiasm, my books, and the '68 version's popularity that motivated Ford to make this version. We at least owe them a thank you for that.

Paul N.

Mustanger

PNewitt said:

If you wish to get the coupe look, then buy a convertible, and get that removeable hardtop, which has better look. ...

Paul,

So you're saying there's already a removable hardtop? I think it would be really cool to see a pic of an '07 GT/CS with that hardtop installed ...

Mustanger

PNewitt said:
However--having said that--there are some VERY real constrictions on what they can and can't do. It boils down to cost per unit. They tried about 20 different spoilers. Not one ducktail type would work, because they didn't want to use tape to hold it one. The closest available one is the SHELBY spoiler, which will become available as an upgrade.

Paul N.

...the Shelby spoiler would be alright:

http://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...lby+gt500+'07&type=jpeg&no=24&tt=386&ei=UTF-8

... if fact, it would kinda mimic what happened in '68 ...

Mosesatm

Paul, there is a big difference between “can’t” and “won’t”, but maybe “shouldn’t” should come into play with this car.

I understand that you had some input into this project and therefore you are passionate about it but it just seems to me that someone in Ford, somewhere, at some time should have seen all the obstacles plaguing the project and should have pulled the plug or renamed the car.

It’s the old trying-to-fit-a-square-peg-into-a-round-hole thing. With enough work it certainly can be done but the result is never pretty and upon hindsight everyone agrees it was a bad idea. Sometimes it’s easier and a better idea to use a round peg or get a square hole.

IMHO the previous generation Mustang was much more suited for a GT/CS edition while this one is suited for a Mach 1 edition. Ford just got it backwards.

So, at the end of the day, the only things that relate the new car to the old car are a side scoop, a stripe, and the letters GT/CS.

Sorry, I just don’t get it but maybe that’s just my problem. Kind of like how I don’t get most modern art, or modern music, or modern fashions. Gotta love those ugly neon-colored plastic shoes all the women are wearing now!

I still think it’s a fine looking car but I don't think it should have been called a GT/CS. But hey, as long as it increases the value of my car I really don't care what it looks like.

hookedtrout

BroadwayBlue said:
For what it's worth, I'm with Arlie and Don on this one.

Me 3 or 4 or what ever number we are at. Nice car it is, CS it just simply isn't short of a stripe that tries to convince you it is.

Are they limiting production in any way?

Cory

P

PNewitt

I don't disagree with Arlie, but remember: whatever Mustang is made to look like today, has about 40 years of memories, heritage, and ingrained "look and feel" to compete with. That's a lot!

In general, not a lot of products today have the same "value" as we remember them. That is why old cars at auction bring a lot of money.

I understand all your passions! I don't disagree, I just like to precipitate what it is that makes you yearn for the '68. Knowing why we appreciate our cars is important.

Thanks,

Paul N.