• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Argent or Chrome Wheels

68sunlitgold

Cobraman,
If your car came with the "GT" option, then it came with Argent wheels. Argent wheels where standard with the GT backage, however you could change them for chrome if you chose to. And you could add chrome wheels as an option, only difference was the wheel cap did not have the "GT" emblem on it. As far as I know, you could NOT get the argent wheel as an option by itself.
If your car is not a GT, you could get any wheel cover option.

Doug

Russ

Doug,

I have a "project GT/CS car" that was a highly optioned "J" code car. When I got the Marti Report, two factory options listed on the report were Argent Styled Steel Wheels and E70X14 Wide Oval Tires (white sidewalls).

These options were not installed at the dealer, and the car did not come with the GT option. Just a bit of information I thought was interesting.

Russ

68gt390

Russ;
The Argent styled steel wheels could be ordered by the dealer as an option from the factory on non GT's. The only exception were the Chrome styled steel wheels which were a dealer installed option. The Chrome styled steel wheels were not offered at the factory. That was why Ford kinda kept the options list you could order from the factory open so folks could basically build their own Mustang. I kinda liked that. For example, you could see a 68 mustang with the "C" stripe, argent styled steel wheels and pop open gas cap but, they were not GT's. This was part of the Sprint package that could be ordered but, it did not have the GT badging on the side.

Don

hicountrybob

I believe that the chrome steel-styled wheels were available by the Ford factory and to quote "Wheels, Chrome Styled Steel (Incl. Chrome Trim Rings with E70x14 or F70x14 wide oval WSW tires; Avail. with 8-cyl. Engines and when FR70x14 Tires are ordered with GT Equipment Group) Models w/ GT Equipment Group.....77.73. All Other Models with E70x14 Wide Oval WSW Tires 160.27. with F70x14 Wide Oval WSW Tires 174.38. source is from FORD Manufacturer's Label Prices dated April 29, 1968. Sure, buyers could get these chrome wheels from dealerships, but I would venture to say that most (who knows) got them on the car from the factory. But to say these were only a dealer option is not true, sorry. hicountry bob