• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Car surges

green56

This just started when I pull in the garage it surges like it is going to shut off I just got done replacing the power steering lines after I read Stefens e mail about his power steering hose parted my started to leak so I replaced all the lines Now I have the surging it seems like at least once a month something goes wrong
I wish one of you lived in the area it is hard any body here know about the older cars we have a restoration shop but the owner will only work on his friends car and high end classic so I am in a jam getting to old to get under the car going to be 79 and had on knee replaced now this Sept have to have the other knee down Thank for listening but what would be the problem of the surging Tom from Wi

OP
OP
G

green56

I read that the cause of the surging was the battery swans going bad? Is this true? Tom from Wi

franklinair

I doubt if its the battery unless sluggish starting.
Is the surging when the engine is cold ? Warm (after running)?
What kind of points? Standard? Pertronix?
How old is the carb? Gas?

Neil

rvrtrash

I would check to make sure the choke isn't stuck closed (quick visual) and then check the fuel level in the carb. You may have an improper float level or a bad float.

Steve

OP
OP
G

green56

I doubt if its the battery unless sluggish starting.
Is the surging when the engine is cold ? Warm (after running)?
What kind of points? Standard? Pertronix?
How old is the carb? Gas?

Neil

Engine was hot. Pulling in t o garage. Have the. HI1 it is the eltronic but not the pert ronin. Carb was ju st rebuilt 2 months ago gas is new. It just happened I have a one half tank of gas

OP
OP
G

green56

Will put a new gas filter in this week hope that does it so much wrong all the time would like to drive it without having to do something to fix it. We have one more car show in two weeks hope to take the car Tom from Wi

CougarCJ

You also could have a gunked up carburetor from using ethanol fuel. :tongue:
Crappy stuff, the government should not have put it into the fuel.

OP
OP
G

green56

By checking everything out it comes down to pull the engine and look at the camshaft when I had the engine built found out they never balanced the engine so In spring we will pull the engine and go thru it look at the valves ,seats cam and Pistons cars will be put away this coming week going in for surgery will be of my feet for 8 to 10 weeks so cars have to go now.do to our weather Tom Wi