• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Questions for the experts

Joes68

Hi all,
Looking through the posts and trying to find some answers before I ask some of these questions, I'm still so confused??? Ahhhhhh.
If your car is considered a GT, will it show the GT package on the Marti report? I,ve seen some of the posts say that non-GT cars had single exhaust. I have dual exhaust with the factory glass-packs still on, but have rusty old wheels with non-GT hubcaps. The Marti report says the car came with heavy duty suspension, console, and F70X14 Wide oval tires, power steering, tinted glass, and deluxe belts. I don't think my car is a GT, but other things seem to indicate it is? Anyway thanks in advance for your inputs.
Since the original 289 and C4 are going in for rebuild in a couple of weeks, I'm starting to do some exhaust homework. I've seen the posts on what people have done with their exhaust but haven't seen anything on glass-packs. Has anyone out there put on new glass-packs? I know the glass-packs mount up and hide a lot better than the newer oval mufflers. I love the sound it has now and would like to keep it similar sounding if I can.
Thanks again for your inputs and sorry for the long post.
Ron

Mustanglvr

Ron,
I don`t think a 289 car could be a GT. Only ones with 302 or bigger. Also, I think the heavy duty suspension and dual exhaust could be ordered that way. Correct me if I`m wrong guys. I am still learning. ;D
Rhonda

Mosesatm

If it has a 289 I don't think it is a GT. Weren't all small block GTs 302s?

case12

Also, the Marti Report would call out the GT option. Deluxe interior and HD suspension, etc. could be ordered separately. Casey

OP
OP
J

Joes68

Thanks gang,
I figured it didn't have the GT option (no GT valance etc), but was still scratching my head on some things.
Ron

nfrntau

My car is not a GT, has the 289 and the heavy duty suspension option.
The other options were:
GT/CS
C-4
Wide Oval Tires
Whitewalls
Power Steering
AM
Tinted Glass

I think my car was very basically outfitted. The heavy duty suspension throws me off a little but I'mm glad it's there.
Does anyone have one that doesn't have the tinted glass? Just curious how rare NOT having tinted glass would be.

Mosesatm

[quote author=Joes68 link=board=1;threadid=1851;start=0#msg12132 date=1120144987]
I have dual exhaust with the factory glass-packs
[/quote]

Ron, could they be the original resonators instead of glass-packs?

OP
OP
J

Joes68

I'm not sure Arlie. They're the only things attached to the exhaust pipes. About 3 feet long each and are located right about where the back seat is. Nothing else but exhaust pipes down there. They look like glass-packs do today and are about the same circumference.
Ron

Mr. Shelby Guy

[quote author=Joes68 link=board=1;threadid=1851;start=0#msg12160 date=1120189870]
I'm not sure Arlie. They're the only things attached to the exhaust pipes. About 3 feet long each and are located right about where the back seat is. Nothing else but exhaust pipes down there. They look like glass-packs do today and are about the same circumference.
Ron
[/quote]

It sounds like your car had the same exhaust that mine did. Mine had glasspacks on it. I can't remember how long they were, but they were located around the back seat. What a nice sound that exhaust system had.

Mosesatm

I've looked through every Ford manual I can find and see only 1 exhaust system with glass-packs. The '65 Shelbys apparently had glass-packs and side exhaust. Most of the other systems consist of 2 resonators and one or two mufflers. I think the resonators alone would be too loud but maybe not. Anyone every heard a Mustang with the resonators attached and the muffler(s) removed?

OP
OP
J

Joes68

Thanks for checking your books Arlie! I'm guessing maybe they aren't factory?? I don't know. My uncle wasn't really the type that would've sought out glass-packs for his car though, he put bias-ply tires on the car when he needed new ones......so not sure. The glass-packs look about as old as the car is. Is the only way to find out if they're glass-packs or resonators is to cut them open and see? I'll be replacing the exhaust with the motor build in a month. Maybe I should break out the sawzall and open them puppies up.