• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Oval Air Cleaner Wingnuts ...

Mustanger

In March of '68 a tech bulletin came out regarding the Shelby oval air cleaner wingnut configuration (see this link: http://www.thecoralsnake.com/intakes.HTML ).

Question: for those who have these air cleaners (or at least have seen them), what do you have in place?
Both wingnuts?
Modified to 1 wingnut?
Or do you own the more modern version which already comes with 1 wingnut?

GTCSMustang

My March built GT-500 has the single-post/one-wingnut arrangement with the plugs in the holes. It is original to the car.

Scott

case12

Nowhere near Scott's original, but I have a modern version with 2 wing nuts on my '66 with 351W, and it definitely twists around. I am always having to straighten it. Fortunately I have electric choke on Edlebrock 4 barrel, so no issues related to that. Just wanted to confirm the twisting problem noted on the site. Casey

szuccaro

Nowhere near Scott's original, but I have a modern version with 2 wing nuts on my '66 with 351W, and it definitely twists around. I am always having to straighten it. Fortunately I have electric choke on Edlebrock 4 barrel, so no issues related to that. Just wanted to confirm the twisting problem noted on the site. Casey
I have the oval air cleaner with 2 wingnuts.. ...using a manual choke on a Holley 600. Steve

Mosesatm

CougarCJ

A little background on the oval air cleaners as I understand them.

Designed for three 2-V's, and dual quads or two 4-V's carburetors.

The two wingnut design lid is from the two 4-V version. A different base was cast for use with a single 4V carburetor. Studs were put in place to correspond with the lid for assembly. The air cleaner stud had to be removed from the 4V carburetor for use. That twisting problem is what brought on the modification.

I believe that the earliest versions of this style air cleaner were for the 1956 Thunderbird, available over the counter from Ford.